Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 4th Feb 19, 11:57 AM
    • 14,034Posts
    • 17,624Thanks
    Cornucopia
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)
    • 4th Feb 19, 11:57 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) 4th Feb 19 at 11:57 AM
    Hi All,

This is the new Lidl and Aldi buying thread. Please report any good/bad deals, good/bad offers and good/bad products.

I've broadened the scope slightly, so that discussion of customer service issues and experiences won't be off-topic. But please remember that the thread works best when it's the sum of our knowledge about Lidl and Aldi, and not other supermarkets.

Thanks.

The old thread is here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5394929
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 10-02-2019 at 9:36 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 20
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 27th Dec 19, 9:45 PM
    • 32,425 Posts
    • 67,383 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Aldi Christmas goodies (mince pies, Christmas cakes etc) reduced now. I was hoping to get lucky with cheese but it wasn't to be.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • harz99
    • By harz99 29th Dec 19, 11:14 AM
    • 3,012 Posts
    • 3,050 Thanks
    harz99
    Newton Aycliffe Aldi yesterday had increased the veg offers to 39p, despite still having a few lower price posters dotted around! The MrT extra a few yards away was still selling their veg offers at 19p...
    • sweetcarer
    • By sweetcarer 30th Dec 19, 12:26 PM
    • 1,082 Posts
    • 6,208 Thanks
    sweetcarer
    Hello,

When Lidl put an orange sticker on an item - does that mean it is reduced - I couldn't see a price on it or is it automatically done at check out.

Thank you.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 30th Dec 19, 1:07 PM
    • 32,425 Posts
    • 67,383 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Hello,

When Lidl put an orange sticker on an item - does that mean it is reduced - I couldn't see a price on it or is it automatically done at check out.

Thank you.
    Originally posted by sweetcarer
    I asked this some time back and was told it does not.

My guess is that these are items that are pre-marked with a view to reduction at the end of the day of they haven't been sold. Its easier to scout out which items are nearing their use by date section by section during quieter times when there is less pressure to man a till, as this is the time consuming bit. Then just a case of picking anything remaining at the designated time and adding the 30% discount label before they have to be written off.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • maman
    • By maman 31st Dec 19, 5:12 PM
    • 21,270 Posts
    • 125,768 Thanks
    maman
    Pleased to see that Cherry Liqueurs have appeared in Aldi this week.
    Originally posted by maman
    I've got about 5 left from my Christmas treats (crystallised ginger and marzipan are finished).

Today, the cherry liqueurs were reduced to 1.49. I had them in my hand, and put them back.
    • od244051
    • By od244051 2nd Jan 20, 2:29 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    od244051
    Hello,

Thank you.
    Originally posted by sweetcarer
    I went to Lidl this morning and bought three meat items with an orange sticker with 30% off with the new price listed. All meat has tomorrow's date.

Noticed that beginning of the year, lots of fresh products are reduced as people are still eating their Christmas food
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Jan 20, 11:17 PM
    • 32,425 Posts
    • 67,383 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Many of the Favorina Crimbo goodies were finally reduced to half price today. Cocoa dusted truffles (250g) - 79p, exp 03/2021. Chocolate balls 200g - 59p, exp 03/2030. Chocolate covered almonds 200g - 99p, exp 07/2020. Plenty to be getting on with

Small chocolate panettone - 39p and all gone!

• Elisheba
    • By Elisheba 13th Jan 20, 10:02 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    Elisheba
    Chocolate balls 200g - 59p, exp 03/2030.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

What on earth is that chocolate made of? : rotfl:
    Consume less. Live more.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Jan 20, 3:22 PM
    • 32,425 Posts
    • 67,383 Thanks
    VfM4meplse

What on earth is that chocolate made of? : rotfl:
    Originally posted by Elisheba
    My mistake, 2020 of course. Except the pack I bought didn't last for more than 5 days

• bhaskar
    • By bhaskar 14th Jan 20, 8:06 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    bhaskar
    I asked this some time back and was told it does not.

My guess is that these are items that are pre-marked with a view to reduction at the end of the day of they haven't been sold. Its easier to scout out which items are nearing their use by date section by section during quieter times when there is less pressure to man a till, as this is the time consuming bit. Then just a case of picking anything remaining at the designated time and adding the 30% discount label before they have to be written off.
    lidl use 20p/70p green stickers if same day date
    • od244051
    • By od244051 14th Jan 20, 10:23 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    od244051
    Parents were annoyed earlier when looking at my Lidl app that the Burns Night stuff was only in Scottish stores.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 19th Jan 20, 8:51 PM
    • 10,527 Posts
    • 13,633 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Aldi Christmas goodies (mince pies, Christmas cakes etc) reduced now. I was hoping to get lucky with cheese but it wasn't to be.
    Mincemeat with brandy 9p/jar. Don't think it will get any cheaper. Edit: BBE Sept 2021

Official MoneySavingExpert insert Tue 21 Jan:

An incredible deal. If you live near an Aldi, make sure to look out for extreme reductions like this. If you can score items with a long shelf life that might make it to next Christmas, even better.
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/store-finder

Big thanks to Owain Moneysaver for the spot!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Owain Moneysaver; 21-01-2020 at 1:56 PM. Reason: Extra info as this will be featured in newsletter
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 19th Jan 20, 9:28 PM
    • 2,548 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    dlusman
    Parents were annoyed earlier when looking at my Lidl app that the Burns Night stuff was only in Scottish stores.
    Originally posted by od244051

I bought a haggis in Lidl in Oxfordshire yesterday. Hadnt seen it before so I presume it has been brought in as a Burns Night special
    Last edited by dlusman; 19-01-2020 at 9:30 PM.
    • od244051
    • By od244051 20th Jan 20, 10:49 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    od244051
    I bought a haggis in Lidl in Oxfordshire yesterday. Hadnt seen it before so I presume it has been brought in as a Burns Night special
    Originally posted by dlusman
    So why is the app saying Scottish stores only?
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 21st Jan 20, 9:35 AM
    • 2,548 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    dlusman
    So why is the app saying Scottish stores only?
    Originally posted by od244051

I didnt say anything about the Burns night offers in Scotland - Just the one particular brand of haggis
    • duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 21st Jan 20, 9:39 AM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    I didnt say anything about the Burns night offers in Scotland - Just the one particular brand of haggis
    Originally posted by dlusman
    I was advised by my local store manager that if enough people request an particular item in a postcode are then head office will ask a manager if he wants to stock the item.

Don't know if it works though.
    • lesbro
    • By lesbro 22nd Jan 20, 6:04 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    lesbro
    Christmas left-overs
    I got LED lights for as little as 49p, at Aldi.
    Last edited by lesbro; 22-01-2020 at 6:05 PM. Reason: forgot to enter shop name.
    • lesbro
    • By lesbro 22nd Jan 20, 6:06 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    lesbro
    Christmas left-overs
    I got LED lights for as little as 49p, at Aldi
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,861Posts Today

6,111Users online

Martin's Twitter