Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Katlin
    • By Katlin 21st Jan 19, 6:43 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Katlin
    UKPC Parking charge Cineham Shopping Centre
    • 21st Jan 19, 6:43 PM
    UKPC Parking charge Cineham Shopping Centre 21st Jan 19 at 6:43 PM
    Greeting, please advise me what should I do after failed appeal to UKPC.
    I am an Amazon driver, on 23 December I went to Matalan - Chineham Shopping Centre to deliver parcels into the Amazon Locker.
    To enter the car parking was difficult due to the intense traffic, no parking spaces available, cars blocking the lanes waiting for spaces and many pedestrians. Because there was no space available I parked on crossed space next to car parked correctly, there was space on his left and right to park, but the parking was made only for 1 car.
    After I stopped my van with hazard lights on, I have delivered my parcels within 5 min and came back to the van and drive straight out with the parking notice on my window. I stopped my van in a safe location and made appeal to UKPC saying that I only stopped for 5min with hazard lights on to deliver as there was no parking space available.
    Please advise me if I should appeal with POPLA code or I should just pay, thank you ever so much!
    The answer from UKPC:
    We have investigated your appeal based on the information you have submitted and confirm that this parking
    charge was correctly issued because there are sufficient signs at Chineham Shopping Centre advising drivers that
    vehicles must be parked only within designated marked bays.
    Our appeals process is now concluded, you may now choose one of the following options:
    1) Pay the parking charge detailed above at the reduced rate of £60 to UK Parking Control Ltd. PLEASE REFER
    OVERLEAF FOR PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ADDRESS DETAILS.
    2) Make an appeal to the independent adjudicator POPLA (Parking on Private Land Appeals) using the verification
    code provided above. Please note that if you wish to appeal to POPLA, you will lose the right to pay the discounted
    rate of £60 , and should POPLA reject your appeal you will be required to pay the full amount of £100 . If you opt
    to pay the parking charge you will be unable to appeal with POPLA. Appeals to POPLA must be made within
    twenty-eight days from the date of this letter. To appeal with POPLA, please visit popla. If you are
    unable to access the internet, you may appeal by post – this must be done using a POPLA postal form which may
    be obtained by contacting POPLA by phone (0330 159 6126) or post (PO Box 1270, Warrington, WA4 9RL).
    By law we are also required to inform you that Ombudsman Services ombudsman-services org provides
    an alternative dispute resolution service that would be competent to deal with your appeal. However, we have not
    chosen to participate in their alternative dispute resolution service. As such should you wish to appeal then you
    must do so to POPLA, as explained above.
    3) If you choose to do nothing the parking charge will automatically increase after thirty-five days from the date of
    this letter to £100 and the matter will be passed to our debt recovery agent, at which point you will be liable to pay
    an additional charge of £60, in accordance with the terms and conditions of parking, and further charges will be
    claimed if court action is taken against you. Any unpaid court judgement may adversely affect your credit rating.
    PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE THIS LETTER. UKPC REGULARLY TAKES MOTORISTS TO COURT WHO IGNORE
Page 2
    • Katlin
    • By Katlin 24th Jan 19, 6:57 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Katlin
    The other car wasn't a disabled user, there was sufficient space to open the door too. I have not obstructed anybody. There was no chance of getting a parking space anytime soon, there was a big queue from the roundabout until the parking.
    Anyway, I appreciate your opinions, and I am trying to think of a way to explain this to a manager or Popla. I appreciate your advice.
    • Katlin
    • By Katlin 1st Feb 19, 10:24 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Katlin
    UKPC Cineham Shopping Centre Landlord
    Good Afternoon Catalin,

Thank you for your email to the CEO office.
    Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this matter has caused.

While being sympathetic to your situation, I unfortunately cannot help you on this matter. Upon checking with our Estates Department, I have been informed we are not responsible for this car park. The car park is owned by the landlord and all complaints/queries must be put in writing to: jamie.thipthorpe@eu.jll.com

I'm here if you need any further assistance.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 1st Feb 19, 6:42 PM
    • 70,394 Posts
    • 82,989 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    See what Jamie says but don't show him that photo.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Katlin
    • By Katlin 4th Feb 19, 7:10 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Katlin
    Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<jamie.thipthorpe@eu.jll.com>:
    550: #5.1.0 Address rejected.
    • Katlin
    • By Katlin 4th Feb 19, 7:16 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Katlin
    any chance of success with Popla appeal?> thanks for suggestions

I'm writing this e-mail to you because it was recommended to me to contact the Landlord of property in order to obtain support with a parking charge.

Please allow me to explain what happen:

In short, I got a PCN at Chineham Shopping Centre while I did delivery of a few boxes in the Amazon Locker at the 1th floor in Matalan without knowing it is a paid parking/ monitored.
    The reason of PCN is "Not parket correctly within the markings of the bay or space" applied withing 3 minutes after I left my van to go and deliver while I was reading the conditions on the board next to the entrance of Matalan Store,
    after acknowledging the terms and conditions I turned to see the Parking Attendant finishing the photos of my parked van ( my hazard lights were on). Because of the distance and heavy bag of parcels I could not stop the man from issuing me a ticket, so I continued my delivery and came back within 5min.

My mitigating circumstances are: there was no parking space available, there was a big queue to come in from the roundabout until the car park ( typical probably for a Sunday before Christmas) and my justification to park in such a wrong way was not to obstruct or affect in any way the customers of the store (I just needed 5min to stop my van and deliver into the Amazon Locker). The terms and conditions sign I saw it after walking 300 feet towards Matalan entrance (there was no sign at the place of parking).

Unfortunately I cannot afford to pay this PCN (at least in this period) because Amazon did not offer me enough work after Christmas and I am in the situation of looking for a new job.

Please kindly see my attached photos for your consideration and if it is in your power please help me by cancelling the PCN.
    Thank you very much for your time and effort.
    • Katlin
    • By Katlin 16th Apr 19, 2:41 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Katlin
    what to do next
    hi all, I'm sharing my popla decision. At this point I am thinking to pay or not to pay, I really don't want them to take my money so easy.
    Anybody with experience can give me an useful advice please?!
    thank you

DecisionUnsuccessful

Assessor summary of operator case
    The Parking Charge Notice (PCN) has been issued for not parked correctly within the markings of the bay or space.

Assessor summary of your case
    The appellant says on the day he was delivering parcels to the Amazon Locker which is inside the Matalan store. He says it was a busy Sunday before Christmas and was unable to find a free bay due to it being busy. The appellant says if he had left the car park, he would not have completed his deliveries in time. The appellant says he parked his vehicle on the side of a disabled bay for 5 minutes and put his hazard lights on as it was not his intention to park.

Assessor supporting rational for decision
    The appellant has identified as the driver of the vehicle on the day of the parking event. As such, I am considering the appellant’s liability for the PCN, as the driver. The operator has provided photographic evidence of signage in the car park that states, “10 HOUR MAX STAY…This land is private property…Failure to comply with the following may result in a £100 parking charge notice…park only within marked bays”. The operator has provided photographic evidence of the vehicle parked on the hatched lines of a disabled bay. The appellant says on the day he was delivering parcels to the Amazon Locker which is inside the Matalan store. He says it was a busy Sunday before Christmas and was unable to find a free bay due to it being busy. The appellant says if he had left the car park, he would not have completed his deliveries in time. The appellant says he parked his vehicle on the side of a disabled bay for 5 minutes and put his hazard lights on as it was not his intention to park. Whilst I note these comments, the terms and conditions are clear in advising motorists must park in a marked bay only. If the appellant was unable to find a free space, he should have left the car park. Whilst I accept the appellant had deliveries to make, this does not make him exempt from the terms and conditions. Parking is defined as “deliberately remaining stationary on land for an extended period”. The driver does not have to exit the vehicle or switch off the engine to be considered parked, I am therefore satisfied the vehicle was parked. By parking the appellant has accepted the terms and conditions and entered into a contract with the operator. By failing to comply with the terms and conditions stated on signage, a PCN was issued. When entering onto a private car park such as this one, any motorist forms a contract with the operator by remaining on the land for a reasonable period. The signage in place sets out the terms and conditions of this contract. Ultimately, it is the motorist’s responsibility to comply with the terms and conditions of the car park. Upon consideration of the evidence, the appellant failed to park in a marked bay, and therefore did not comply with the terms and conditions. As such, I conclude that the PCN has been issued correctly. Accordingly, I must refuse this appeal.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th Apr 19, 12:22 AM
    • 70,394 Posts
    • 82,989 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    With that parking, for once I can honestly say, IMHO you'd have no hope in court.
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Katlin
    • By Katlin 19th Apr 19, 12:43 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Katlin
    I don't want to get in court
    I'm not planning to get until court. but I want to understand what will happen next. I have no correspondence with UKPC. will I get debt agency letters at home later if I don;t pay, what happens if I deny everything and say I don;t know what are they talking about?
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 19th Apr 19, 9:10 AM
    • 4,625 Posts
    • 3,999 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    ........what happens if I deny everything and say I don't know what are they talking about?
    Originally posted by Katlin
    Maybe here is the answer to your question .......... unless someone took your car without your knowledge and parked it there! OR maybe the PPC faked the photos?
    The operator has provided photographic evidence of the vehicle parked on the hatched lines of a disabled bay.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th Apr 19, 10:41 AM
    • 70,394 Posts
    • 82,989 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I'm not planning to get until court. but I want to understand what will happen next. I have no correspondence with UKPC.

will I get debt agency letters at home later if I don't pay, what happens if I deny everything and say I don't know what are they talking about?
    Originally posted by Katlin
    You might get debt letters but you know from the NEWBIES thread what to do with them!

Then SCS Law will start a claim on behalf of UKPC and, IMHO, you will lose in court, because they have evidence and that parking is so diabolical that a Judge will fall off their chair in horror. And they might have even read this thread, so they would then be able to prove you were lying in court if you denied all knowledge.

The main problem you have is, NO-ONE would ever think that parking is acceptable. Not in a million years of Sundays is that parking OK, it is in fact the worst photo I have ever seen in a decade or more of helping people.

And a Judge will be unable to support this, even a friendly Judge.

To deliver, you would have been better to park on the end of a row of parked cars in the middle, or in a drop-off/collect area if there was one...or waiting 5 minutes for a parking bay or drop off space.

You cannot dump a vehicle - not even for 2 minutes - across the passenger door of another car in a disabled bay.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 19-04-2019 at 10:48 AM.
    • Katlin
    • By Katlin 19th Apr 19, 3:19 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Katlin
    Thanks for sincerity
    Your comments are english enough for me. Thanks
    I guess my mentality from back home wont fit with the rules in this country.
    Will wait until the last due day and eventually pay it.
    I'm glad I've used this forum, it helps a lot for future.
    Cheers
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,132Posts Today

7,302Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin