Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 17th Jan 19, 11:29 AM
    • 302Posts
    • 1,304Thanks
    aimeemum
    AimeeMum's Debt-free challenge
    • 17th Jan 19, 11:29 AM
    AimeeMum's Debt-free challenge 17th Jan 19 at 11:29 AM
    Hi all,
    I'm an oldie but really a newbie. I was first here in 2014 trying to get our situation back on an even keel. A lot has happened since then, we've not gotten any worse debt-wise, but things haven't improved either and I'm determined that that is going to change this year. I want to enter the new decade debt-free, and I think we can do it.

I added up all of my debts, there are arrears, credit cards and a CCJ. I've been paying off all I can every week since the beginning of October, and since then have seen my amounts come down slowly but surely.

Things that have us over a barrel - we're on the dreaded Universal Credit, which means that making extra money etc is made difficult. We tried for a couple of weeks, having my husband work some OT to top us up, and with UC taper, student loans, tax and other deductions we were actually worse off than him not doing it! Not going to do down that route. I'm a SAHM, with 3 small boys, all at school now. I've just finished a MA in Early Modern History (graduation ceremony is tomorrow) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm currently writing as much as I can and trying to build up a base ready for writing/publishing my first book. Probably going to take at least a year though, so it's a long game. In the mean time, I'm doing all I can to increase our cash flow to try to get rid of the debts.

I'm currently paying out circa 130 a week (hubby is paid weekly so handy to budget weekly payments and make regular payments to see if going down quickly!) on these debts. Once my arrears are all gone and debts paid in full, we'll only be paying out 60 a week! That's a lot of money a week to be better off and really is the equivalent of me getting a 16 hour a week job!

All my current balances etc are in my signature. I'm so determined to have all this gone as soon as possible...let's see how quickly we can do it!!
    Last edited by aimeemum; 04-02-2019 at 1:28 PM.
    SAHM to 3 boys ~ History writer, reader and blogger.
    DFBX19 #148 - 11/4/2019 Week 14 - 1,976/4,782 41% gone -- 2019 in 2019 #152 654.57/2019
Page 6
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 4th Apr 19, 2:17 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Decided on 5-point plan with Hubby.

1. Pay off all debts except Vanquis (current balance 760, paying 5 per week and 0% interest) - By 7th September 2019
    2. One-month's bills in Emergency fund - Target 1,200 - By 31st December 2019
    3. Save up Vanquis Balance (Whatever it may be at that point) and pay off remaining debt - By 30th June 2020
    4. Save 1 year's 'extras' money - 2,080 - for Christmas, Birthdays, Holidays and car repairs as a 'buffer'. - By 31st December 2021
    5. 3-month's outgoings in Emergency fund - 5,000 - By 31st December 2024

Total money required
    1. 2,087
    2. 1,200
    3. 600 Approximately
    4. 2,080
    5. 3,800

Total = 9,767
    Last edited by aimeemum; 04-04-2019 at 5:19 PM.
    DFBX19 #148 - 11/4/2019 Week 14 - 1,976/4,782 41% gone -- 2019 in 2019 #152 654.57/2019
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 5th Apr 19, 5:59 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Plan for today - Friday

1. Get kids off to school - remember eldest's cookery ingredients (he's making Apple Crumble today) DONE
    2. Breakfast, bath and watch latest Discovery episode! DONE and WOW!!
    3. Bathrooms, Make beds, Washing sorted - Did the beds but stalled at the bathrooms and laundry - added to tomorrow's list
    4. Vacuum/sweep downstairs and clear floors. - Again, cleared floors but didn't vacuum as not needed. Added to tomorrow's list also.
    5. Ironing - not done yet....may add onto tomorrow but don't need to do until Sunday night really.

That's my plan for today. I woke up this morning thinking it was Saturday so it was a bit of a disappointment to have to do school runs....but still, only one more week until the Easter holidays

If I get time after doing all of that/have the energy this afternoon I may spend some time clearing the MB and sorting my desk and maybe I'll find some time and inclination to do some writing. We're going on our first historical day out of the year on Sunday so I need to get back into the swing

Update: I did some of the chores, cleared my desk and sorted some of the clutter in the MB. Managed to write a blog post and got some ideas for my next few weeks too which is good. Feeling a lot more enthused about it! Also cooked a batch of Veggie curry for hubby's tea and some lunches for the freezer for him too. Tomorrow I'm doing a tagine in the slow cooker. Yummy! Kids are all shattered, so I think an early night is in order....for everyone. Tomorrow's to do list needs writing before I lose momentum.
    Last edited by aimeemum; 05-04-2019 at 5:20 PM.
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 6th Apr 19, 6:01 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Saturday - Plan for today

1. Dressed, breakfast etc
    2. Sort and clean kitchen while the kids are having their breakfast
    2a - Put a tagine in the slow cooker for tea
    3. Get kids to help tidy and clean living room and hallway
    4. Tidy their bedrooms
    5. Swish and Swipe Bathrooms
    6. Ironing

If I get all this done (which shouldn't actually take that long! I reckon less than 2 hours for the lot!) then we'll go to the softplay (for free) after lunch.

Hubby used the voucher to get fuel yesterday....got 1.75 of free fuel so I've added that to my total for this year. I may not have much on there so far (think it's 72) but I'm going to be keeping track of all the EH usage for days out, and also the FL passes are worth over 500 so that will be a massive boost to my target. I think I'm going to have to wait until May to do the car boot sale....April is proving altogether too busy!!

UPDATE: All done except the ironing. I will have to make the tagine on Monday as I forgot to buy some of the main ingredients - honey and a sweet potato. Ironing will be done after we get back from soft play.
    Last edited by aimeemum; 06-04-2019 at 9:57 AM.
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 8th Apr 19, 8:19 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    aimeemum
    I'm not feeling very happy this morning. We had a lovely weekend - really relaxing and the boys had a great time. When we got home youngest's teeth and ear started playing up (he's off school today to make sure they're not going to flare up again - he has a cracked back tooth which I was told last year would be fine to stay as it is until it falls out naturally as it's a baby tooth.) - we moved here 3 years ago and much shame to me, we've never registered at a dentist. I desperately need work doing (I have a massive cavity in a back molar that really needs just taking out if I'm honest) but I've never a. been able to find a dentist to register us with, and b. I can't afford it, even with the NHS subsidy, 80 to be seen and then get a filling or even worse the 250 to get it removed is just not in our price range right now!

Anyway, this morning I've called 3 different dentists hoping to get at least my son in to be seen as an emergency - nowhere has space for him, let alone me and the 3 kids (hubby hates Dr's and dentists and refuses to go most of the time!). I'm going to keep trying as he needs it sorting but it's causing me so much stress right now. If I can't get him in at the 2 I'm waiting to speak to (their phone lines are constantly busy) I'm going to call 111 for him I think...problem is that last time I called 111 for my tooth in December, they wanted to send me to an emergency appointment 70 miles away!!!

As for everything else, I've got the normal Monday routine to do, and then I'm putting myself in a hot bath! I need to chill out a bit as I feel awful!!

Update: I've found somewhere 20 miles away (in Whitby) that is taking on NHS patients and they can see all 3 children next Wednesday the 17th - that's the earliest. We're all registered with them now too. It's taken me so long and I've never though to look out that far away from home before but it's time we got seen as I think my eldest is going to need orthodontics and he's 10 this year.... I'll need to drop hubby off at work that day too so the kids will hate me getting them up that early then traipsing all the way over the moors to get to Whitby for 10am, but hey-ho. Lots of teeth brushing between now and then!!
    Last edited by aimeemum; 08-04-2019 at 8:38 AM.
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 8th Apr 19, 12:43 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Quick update - I've rung the Dr's and got my results from last week's tests. All back to normal so no further action.

Youngest is back to normal pretty much but he's very subdued for him so I think it was a good idea keeping him off today. Only 4 days until they break up for the Easter holidays.

Got my CC statement through. Balance is 69p more than I had on my spreadsheet so I'm going to send a payment of 69p through next time I log on! I like to have everything just where I want it!

Trying to budget for the summer holidays and it's giving me headaches. The boys all want/need swimming lessons (will cost around 80 for them all to do a week's intensive classes) plus eldest wants to do a climbing camp day - 23 - and I think they'll all need new ice skates and gear for going back on the ice in the summer too! Really need to get these debts gone asap!!
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 9th Apr 19, 11:35 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Tuesday is going well so far (cue something going disastrously wrong! ) and I'm happy to report that youngest is back at school today - albeit reluctantly. He was happy enough though so I think the rest of the week could go either way really.

He and I walked down yesterday to get our passes finalised for FL. They should be ready late this week to collect. That is 575 worth of passes which is a very nice addition to my money total for this year I will add it on once we've picked them up.

Plan for this afternoon is to get this weekend's trip written up and put onto my blog, and then I'm hoping to sit down and read a bit of my current 'read and review' book, which I haven't even started yet! So little work done lately so I'm doing a slow and steady approach to break myself back in. I always work better when it's sunny outside too - although I think I'm coming down with a cold

Money situation today - I took my 'extra' 20 that didn't get spent at the weekend, out in cash to put towards the shopping trip that will be required over the hols. I didn't get middle DS his shoes, and eldest needs lots of stuff, so it will go towards that. Need milk and a couple of other things to top us up. Sausages for tea tonight, with chips and yorkies . Planning my meals for next week this evening...and hubby is off tomorrow and thursday so hoping for an NSD tomorrow before shopping day on Thursday.
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 11th Apr 19, 12:13 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Another 48 paid today - Had to keep a lot of money back so only paid minimum payments on most things. Have a busy week/weekend/Easter holidays coming up plus need to put tyres on the car! Really wish I could make more payments and get it gone quicker.....would like to pay the extra 24 to see it go over the 2k paid....I think that's going to feel good!
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 12th Apr 19, 9:02 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Good things to report -

Picked up our free passes for FL - added 575 to my money target on my signature so it now looks a lot more healthy!

Paid 1.69 to Vanquis so as to make it to a number divisible by 5 as that's what I'm paying weekly - silly but it felt good! I have therefore paid 49.69 this week, and put 45p into my H2S account too!

Tagine in the slow cooker for tea - smells delish!

Last day of term for the kids - I think they're excited to be off. I ordered eldest his DS game he's been saving up for which should arrive today. I need to get him the new Diary of a Wimpy Kid book, and a new backpack for school, but I will have to wait until after the holidays for one of them.

Other than that, I'm planning an easy day as I'm not going to get another one for a couple of weeks. Will spend this afternoon doing some writing/research. Going to watch the new episode of Discovery too.... Hubby and I have been watching the new series of Sabrina and it's brilliant. We've been waiting for it since October and it was worth the wait!
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 12th Apr 19, 10:22 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Plans for the Easter Holidays:

Sat/Sun - At home, relaxing, LSD/NSDs. Trips to the park/FL and generally catching up on being at home. Maybe get some gardening done (We were going to go to the local stately home as it's residents weekend but it'll cost a lot in fuel and I'm not feeling great so opted for a no on that.
    Mon- Mum is visiting. Will do a nice lunch, hopefully the weather will be nice so we can eat outdoors. NSD
    Tuesday - At home NSD
    Wednesday - Dentists so will need to take hubby to work early. May go out for the afternoon as we'll have the car. LSD hopefully.
    Thursday - Wedding, Kids are going to family for the day. HSD!!
    Friday - Visiting Mum as it's her birthday (in their new house!! ) and then going to a Speedway meet in the evening. HSD!!!!
    Saturday - Day off at home as we'll have had a mad couple of days. Grocery shopping.
    Sunday - Easter Sunday and the Cinema has HTTYD3 on the Mini-Morning so we'll be going to that! MSD - the cinema will cost about 25 total including sweets.
    Monday - Hubby has plans to go fishing - he may be taking eldest? We're going to a friend's housewarming after that.
    Tuesday - Hubby has a guitar lesson, and catch up day at home. LSD
    Wed, Thurs and Fri - at home, hubby at work. NSDs x 3 hopefully - apart from grocery delivery that will arrive Thursday. FL has it's Easter event on these days so we may go and have a go at the egg hunt (2pp so not bad)
    Saturday - Taking hubby to work, Eldest has a birthday party, taking the kids to get their school stuff. HSD!
    Sunday, Mon - Home, Prepping to go back. NSDs
    Last edited by aimeemum; 12-04-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    • nomorecredit
    • By nomorecredit 12th Apr 19, 7:10 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    nomorecredit
    Hi

Just wanted to stop by and say Hi, loving your Easter plans very impressed with your organisation and plans, bet it feels good to have it all down and planned. Have read your diary and subscribed you are on it and I am too thinking of a long term plan and want to have at least 3 months worth of expenses saved.

Enjoy the Easter break with your boys, my girls go back to school on Monday we had an early Easter break this year.

Take care
    NMC x
    Saving Pots - 1p Savings Challenge - 37.91/667.95 Emergency Fund - 25.19/500, 0/1700 Holiday

15/04/2019 - 14/05/2019 - Lunch to work 1/9
    NSD - 0/15 - No Chocolate/Sweets/Biscuits - 1/20
    Debt - Mum 100 / MBNA - 575
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 13th Apr 19, 6:23 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Hi

Just wanted to stop by and say Hi, loving your Easter plans very impressed with your organisation and plans, bet it feels good to have it all down and planned. Have read your diary and subscribed you are on it and I am too thinking of a long term plan and want to have at least 3 months worth of expenses saved.

Enjoy the Easter break with your boys, my girls go back to school on Monday we had an early Easter break this year.

Take care
    NMC x
    Originally posted by nomorecredit
    Hi, and thanks for commenting!

Yes, 3 months is my long term goal. I've NEVER had savings, and my parents always lived hand to mouth. It's hard keeping us on track (there's always something, on varying levels of importance to spend money on!) but I keep telling husband that we just need to get on with it and then we'll be able to pay for things outright/afford them AS WELL as bills, which is a bit of a revelation for us both!

Having a bit of a bad week money wise though to be honest and next week isn't going to be much better with all we've got on, and I'm feeling a bit deflated - don't feel like I'm making ANY progress (I know I am, but it's slowed massively compared to previous months and I don't know why really) and May's budget is looking tight as it's a 5 week pay-month in April, which means that we'll get less UC.......still 'enough' but means I have to work the rest of the money harder and there's less 'extra' to put towards debt.

Anyway, enough of the pity party - on with the holidays!

Plan for today -
    I've already updated my spreadsheeets and signature
    Dressed, clean bathrooms (so they're done and I don't put them off any more! lol).
    Breakfast with the boys
    Boys dressed and chores done
    Playstation time for boys, chores time for me:
    - Ironing
    - clean fireplace
    - washing out on the line
    - quick 'room rescue' in LR
    - Dishes, surfaces and clear kitchen table.
    - Go up in the loft and bring down middle DS's toy kitchen that for some unknown reason he really wants to play with after 2 years of being ignored!

Lunch at 12noon ish

After lunch going to sort the gardens out a bit, let the boys out to play on their bikes/scooters, and maybe taken them up to the park if it's not too windy/cold.

Tea tonight is Beef Stroganoff for me and Hubby, hot dogs for the kids

Money-wise - Hubby used the 5p/L voucher at Morrisons and got 3.10 of free fuel Added to signature. I have re-jigged my figures to reflect the fact that we're leaving my Vanquis to tick over and my new target figure is 3,830 of which I have 2,043 left!!!! I'll leave my signatures as they are and update them as I have been doing though as ideally I WILL pay the vanquis off before Christmas so that target still stands. My current Vanquis balance is 760. I can see the figures are going down but it's not quick enough for my liking .....spoiled brat alert!!

Have a good Saturday everyone I'm off to go get on with my list so we can have an afternoon of fun (and I may also try to find some stuff to put on ebay to top me up and make me feel better about money.....always better if you've got some more money coming in!
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 15th Apr 19, 6:04 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Good Morning all! We're officially into the holidays now which is great - I am so relieved that there's no school runs for 2 whole weeks!

Mum was supposed to be visiting today but she's not well enough to come across. She is taking her new house over on Wed/Thursday so we'll be popping by for a visit on Friday which is also her birthday. Dad will arrive on Sunday - it's been a long couple of months for them both but hopefully they'll be settled in quickly. All that means that we have a free day today - We haven't left the house over the weekend - kids have been playing in the garden and building lego and eldest has been watching the LOTR movies for the first time - just the ROTK to go and he's hooked. Very proud of him

Just seen the weather for this week and it's finally going to start warming up! I am going to swap our heating to summer times today in anticipation....hoping that the bill will drop significantly.

Other than that nothing planned for today - it's Monday which is Bedrooms day on my chores routine, so I may get the kids to help and get my housework done nice and quickly. It would be nice if I could spend this afternoon doing some reading/Writing/research but I think that may be wishful thinking.

Updated all my spreadsheets this morning already - wasn't able to send anything to H2S which I try to do on a Monday but never mind. I've already put over 1 in there this month and my target is 2 for this month so I'm happy to leave it - current balance is 8 which is impressive considering I'm only ever putting pennies in there! Plan is that from September 10 a week will go into it (only allowed to put 50 a month in) which will mean it will be a pretty good amount and at 50% bonus, I'm looking forward to that pay-day
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 16th Apr 19, 6:28 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Relief - DS2 got his place at the junior school! I wasn't worried as such but there's always that chance that he wouldn't get in. Anyway, worry over now....now I need to budget for a new set of jumpers!

Woken up feeling like death - full of cold and so tired! Going to crack on soon and get the housework done so I can maybe get a nap in before the excitement of the next few days.

Electricity bill came in - really high so need to make an effort to bring it down. It's not been helped by the fact that I've needed the heating on more this last 2 weeks than the whole of February I think. Thankfully the heating is now off - also need to tell hubby to stop putting the immersion heater on as it costs a fortune and I keep finding it switched on

Anyway, time to get a move on....going to watching the news a lot today catching up on the damage done at Notre Dame - it's so sad to see it on fire. I was only saying last week that NDP was on my bucket list....guess I'll have to wait a while to go and see it now
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 16th Apr 19, 8:26 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    aimeemum
    I'm having a bit of a wobble today - I don't know whether it's my cold I've come down with or the fact that I've just had bills come through on my emails that were higher than anticipated, but I just feel a bit useless. We'd been doing so well but this month we've made very little in the way of progress and I just can't see us being debt free ever! It's making me really mad - hubby keeps asking for money to spend on new cars, new guitars, and I'm here worrying about finding money for the kids school uniforms for next term and having enough in the accounts to cover all the bills for next month when they all come out on the 1st! Something has got to change and I felt that it was changing but this month (and next month too) are looking so expensive

I'm also struggling with other things at the moment, lacking in motivation and energy (again, it could just be illness talking here) but with the holidays and the weather being so cold constantly I feel just so frustrated all the time but still unable to actually knuckle down.

Hoping that getting it out of my system will help me to actually do something about it rather than throwing a pity party.....feeling hopeless is horrible!!
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 16th Apr 19, 9:55 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Pity party is officially over. I have re-done my budget for next month and I need to keep back 100 before the 27th of this month. We have 2 pay packets before then, so I'm hopeful that we can make that work. I've cut my snowball of the debts down to minimums (7 for the CCJ, 5 for the Vanquis, 10 for the water and 55 for the electric which is a big payment actually and is double our usage but I've agreed this with the electricity company so at lease that will mean I keep making a little headway) for the next 2 weeks. This way I'll have the money to cover ALL the bills in May, and then I can sort out a new weekly structure. I'm so annoyed as I'd done so well but this month it looks like we'll be lucky to see 200 paid off the debts - I know this is still progress and it's more important to not go backwards etc, but it's still annoying!

A few little decisions made about May too -

May 11th/12th - Car boot sale (If weather bad I'll do it on the 25th instead.) so we have the money towards our holiday at the end of May.

26th May - Celebrating DS2's birthday. He has decided he would like a party but I think it's been left a little late so looking at swimming or soft play instead.

Decided to set myself a 'for me' task - I have albums of photo's in the loft and about 4 years of pictures that need sorting through on devices and printing off to put in albums.....have seen lots of offers online for free/cheap prints so I will try to get them all done for as little as possible.
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 16th Apr 19, 4:03 PM
    • 5,930 Posts
    • 23,526 Thanks
    abba1772
    Time to be blunt with hubby start telling him no.......useless it's broke beyond repair then the answer is no be honest tell him your worries as it tends to take a while for a partner to have their lightbulb moment after we have had ours xx
    NEXT TARGET BARCLAYCARD WAS Jan 19 4299 NOW 0
    POAMAYC 2011 6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 13039.59
    POAMAYC 2019 6479.39
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 16th Apr 19, 5:30 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Time to be blunt with hubby start telling him no.......useless it's broke beyond repair then the answer is no be honest tell him your worries as it tends to take a while for a partner to have their lightbulb moment after we have had ours xx
    Originally posted by abba1772
    I was blunt with him back in Jan/Feb but I think we're both growing weary (as is expected 4 months into this journey) and we're both guilty of spending to cheer ourselves up....I just keep saying 'this too shall pass' to myself and trying to make headway in small ways to keep up morale for us both. I don't think hubby sees the debt as as much of a burden as I do though - he sometimes says that before I started on this he felt 'richer' but I explain it's a false rich....I want us to feel 'real rich' lol

Thanks for the support - much appreciated. This cold is knocking me for six-and-a-half!
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 17th Apr 19, 6:37 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Long day ahead - woke the boys up at 5.30 to take hubby to work as we need to the car to go to dentist appointments this morning. That has come around quick! Thankfully it's Wednesday and somehow (not sure how) there's still nearly half a tank of petrol in the car, and I have enough change to pay for parking and possibly a sneaky portion of chips at the seaside for lunch after the dentists (would be rude to go to Whitby and not do something seaside-y )

Once we're home it'll be time to do a few jobs, let the boys chill out (probably playstation time for them all) and then back to pick hubby up for 7pm, calling in at ASDA on the way there for pick up some milk and bread and something for our tea - not sure what still).

Anyway, best get ready to be off....get the kids sorted out at least! I'm going to book myself an appointment for when they've all gone back to school and set that ball rolling....sick of my broken tooth kicking off so it's time to get it sorted out. Dentists worry me though - my Mum is terrified of them and as a result I've only ever been as an adult and it takes all my will-power to sit in that chair!
    Last edited by aimeemum; 17-04-2019 at 6:54 AM.
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 17th Apr 19, 3:45 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    aimeemum
    Well what a hellish kind of a day - but nice in a way too.

Dentist went well - 2 eldest have great teeth apparently (amazing considering my eldest didn't brush his teeth for the best part of a year when he was 3!) and eldest can go in once his front 8 have grown to get measured up and see if he needs braces. Youngest's back tooth is pretty bad so it's been dressed with a filling and he's got to go and have it removed under a general. They were really good with his even though it hurt as his nerve is badly exposed hence all the toothaches.

Only issues were that the appointment was at 10, but he needed to be seen by a senior practitioner to be referred and the only slot available was at 2.30. It's a 50 mile round trip but I figured that I could either pay for lunch, parking and probably a multitude of other stuff, or we could just go home, so that's what we did. We did use up the time in the car park though by going for a wander on the beach and the boys found some brilliant bits of sea-glass! With car parking today has cost me about 23 (fuel, snacks and parking charges) which really isn't bad - a day at the seaside could have been a lot worse!

Have to go and pick hubby up at 7, so leaving here about 6.20 so we're not waiting around. I think the boys have done well today - no trouble apart from a little strop from ds2 when he couldn't find any blue sea glass like his big brother had....apparently that was a reason to have a tantrum! Apart from that, no bother, all just got on at the dentist which I was amazed by, and have just said yes to everything I've asked of them. They're currently tucking into spaghetti hoops on toast as a quick tea because I'm fit to drop! Need to go and sort out hubby's suit and my dress for tomorrow now - looks like it's going to be a nice day for a wedding!
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 17th Apr 19, 4:33 PM
    • 5,930 Posts
    • 23,526 Thanks
    abba1772
    It's great when the kids do as they're told it's half the battle xx
    NEXT TARGET BARCLAYCARD WAS Jan 19 4299 NOW 0
    POAMAYC 2011 6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 13039.59
    POAMAYC 2019 6479.39
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

159Posts Today

976Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin