Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grantbett
    • By Grantbett 13th Jan 19, 11:31 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Grantbett
    Toby Deals U
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:31 PM
    Toby Deals U 13th Jan 19 at 11:31 PM
    I ordered a Dyson hairdryer for my wife's Xmas, we live in the UK. When she opened on Xmas day was devastated as the hairdryer with Aus / NZ plug and voltage non compatible with Uk. Toby deals a Customer service has been deplorable to accept a return, continually delay responses & any responsibility for sending us a Aus / Nz product. I will never order from them again or recommend. They will not raise a complaint or refer me to senior management. They are a sham.
Page 1
    • PragmaticMoneySaver
    • By PragmaticMoneySaver 13th Jan 19, 11:51 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    PragmaticMoneySaver
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:51 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:51 PM
    Australia/Nz works on the same voltage as the UK. Are you sure it is incompatible?
    • TubbyDown
    • By TubbyDown 14th Jan 19, 12:08 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    TubbyDown
    • 14th Jan 19, 12:08 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 12:08 AM
    Can you just not purchase an adapter?
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 14th Jan 19, 7:23 AM
    • 3,853 Posts
    • 3,277 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:23 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:23 AM
    Unfortunately yet another purchase where the buyer doesn't check where they are ordering from.

tobydeals.co.uk shows contact details as Hong Kong
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 14th Jan 19, 8:14 AM
    • 11,658 Posts
    • 7,608 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:14 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:14 AM
    I ordered a Dyson hairdryer for my wife's Xmas, we live in the UK. When she opened on Xmas day was devastated as the hairdryer with Aus / NZ plug and voltage non compatible with Uk. Toby deals a Customer service has been deplorable to accept a return, continually delay responses & any responsibility for sending us a Aus / Nz product. I will never order from them again or recommend. They will not raise a complaint or refer me to senior management. They are a sham.
    Originally posted by Grantbett
    If you read their t&cs you would have seen
    "We source our products from all over the world to provide the best quality stock and best prices to our customers. There may be situations where your product will come with a different region power plug. In these situations a local adaptor will be provided for your convenience"
    • lindens
    • By lindens 14th Jan 19, 8:17 AM
    • 2,290 Posts
    • 7,137 Thanks
    lindens
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:17 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:17 AM
    I bought a kindle on Boxing day from these guys. THEN afterwards i read the reviews. Despite incorrect tracking info, and it taking a long time, it arrived last week exactly as ordered. I have however read many reviews of people receiving non-EU versions of what they ordered. Either pay 20 to send it back or buy an adaptor (if indeed it is required)
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th Jan 19, 8:23 AM
    • 9,667 Posts
    • 10,368 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:23 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:23 AM
    Can you just not purchase an adapter?
    Originally posted by TubbyDown
    Or just cut off the plug and fit a UK one (like we used to have to do for every appliance!).
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 14th Jan 19, 8:42 AM
    • 5,946 Posts
    • 5,817 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:42 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:42 AM
    It's Elfin Safety, innit!
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 14th Jan 19, 9:32 AM
    • 5,819 Posts
    • 6,636 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:32 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:32 AM
    I really wish people would stop using the word devastated for every little thing that goes wrong in their life. She might have been a little upset that her cheapskate husband had skimped on her pressie by buying it from HK to save a couple of quid but she was not devastated.

Change the plug, buy her some flowers and move on.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 14th Jan 19, 9:47 AM
    • 5,240 Posts
    • 6,832 Thanks
    waamo
    You can get an adapter for under 10.
    This space for hire.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 14th Jan 19, 10:53 AM
    • 2,708 Posts
    • 3,602 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Another person so desperate to save a few quid they'll buy from an overseas site that is visibly amateurish. What did you save on a 300 product? 20?
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 14th Jan 19, 11:12 AM
    • 3,227 Posts
    • 1,731 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    voltage non compatible with Uk.
    Originally posted by Grantbett

http://treehouse.ofb.net/go/en/voltage/Australia
    HTH.

Buy an adaptor. At least it didn't have far to travel from factory to seller in Hong Kong.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 14th Jan 19, 1:08 PM
    • 5,946 Posts
    • 5,817 Thanks
    DoaM
    As per above, Aus/NZ voltage is nominally the same as the UK.

If the "plug" is built into the PSU then get an adaptor; if it's on the end of a lead then either still get an adaptor or snip it off and fit a UK plug - it really isn't difficult.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 14th Jan 19, 2:20 PM
    • 855 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    Raxiel
    If you do buy an adapter (or there was one in the box), make sure its a decent one with shutters over the terminals.

When I've seen these sort of grey market imports in the past they've come with incredibly cheap universal adapters that are completely open over the terminals and are frankly dangerous.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

242Posts Today

1,736Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Turns out this is all Google served. We've been in touch and it's shutting it down which should cut it on many webs? https://t.co/8OYeMjEu4n

• Follow Martin