Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • br0llz
    • By br0llz 13th Jan 19, 11:03 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 8Thanks
    br0llz
    Offline/ Online & Credit scores
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:03 PM
    Offline/ Online & Credit scores 13th Jan 19 at 11:03 PM
    Does your credit score affect the likelihood of your contactless debit/ credit card being authorised for offline payments (contactless or otherwise)?

My credit score in 2016 was 599/700, and I’d say 90% of my contactless transactions went through offline, funds taken up to a week later.

Now I’m noticing, with my score having dropped to 550/700, in 2018, basically only Pret takes offline contactless transactions, everyone else, I get the usual “please wait.... ... authorised” and the money is out straight away! Thoughts?
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 13th Jan 19, 11:24 PM
    • 3,116 Posts
    • 1,801 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:24 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:24 PM
    Nothing is affected by your “score”.

It’s a made up number that lenders do not see, use or care about.

And it certainly won’t affect the way your debit card functions.
    • cjv
    • By cjv 13th Jan 19, 11:25 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    cjv
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:25 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:25 PM
    No one sees your credit score, except you and the credit agencies that make them up.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 14th Jan 19, 12:07 AM
    • 9,082 Posts
    • 10,508 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 14th Jan 19, 12:07 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 12:07 AM
    Thoughts?
    Originally posted by br0llz
    It's in the banking industry's interests for all transactions to be authorised online as this minimises their liability for fraudulent use, so as I understand it, an increasing proportion of low-value transactions are going this way instead of being authorised offline, i.e. it's nothing to do with your cards or accounts specifically (and certainly nothing to do with your credit 'score'!) but is symptomatic of a wider trend of improved speed and reliability of technology (don't mention TSB....).

It's also in the customers' interests not to have delays before transactions appear on statements and for balances to be adjusted accordingly in close to real time, although paradoxically this may cause more confusion if the vast majority of transactions are reflected immediately but still not quite all of them!
    • br0llz
    • By br0llz 14th Jan 19, 11:36 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    br0llz
    • 14th Jan 19, 11:36 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 11:36 AM
    So this is rather more a UK-wide trend towards online auth rather than a personal financial dip? Reassuring to hear I just say.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,133Posts Today

7,788Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin