Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • H44MP
    • By H44MP 13th Jan 19, 10:56 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 1Thanks
    H44MP
    Advise needed
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:56 PM
    Advise needed 13th Jan 19 at 10:56 PM
    Hi,

My wife and I are looking into a mortgage in the near future and as such I carried out credit check on Experian and discovered I have a CCJ issued against me on the April 2018 as a result of an unpaid parking fine issued May 2017 for £100. Neither of which I was aware of due to the fact all fines/court letters were sent to our previous address, hence why I was completely unaware of the original fine and subsequently the CCJ.

This being said, since discovering the fine, I contacted the company and paid the fine immediately.

I am aware that a CCJ will affect my credit score for 6years and ultimately affect my chances of mortgage approval.
    Before the CCJ my credit score was excellent due to my credit history.

Would I stand a chance of putting in a claim for the CCJ to be set aside due to the fact the letters were sent to my old address and being completely unaware of the parking fine in the first place? Any advise on where I stand with this issue would be much appreciated..
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 13th Jan 19, 11:22 PM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 2,322 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:22 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:22 PM
    Firstly ignore the scores - theyíre not real and lenders donít see or care about them.

Parking fines are sent to the address that DVLA had at the time for tou the fine was issued.

I would suggest posting in the parking fines board if you want advise on contesting the CCJ.

Though if you legitimately owed it then itís up to you which moral high ground you wish to take.
    • H44MP
    • By H44MP 14th Jan 19, 7:39 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    H44MP
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:39 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:39 AM
    Thankyou for reply,
    So do lenders take into account why the CCJ was issued?
    I wasnít at the address where my car was registered I moved house just over a month prior to the parking penalty, during this time my new born daughter was in intensive care being extremely premature.
    The parking fine i didnít know I received but since finding out paid immediately, itís more the point of me being unaware of any court letters etc.
    Do you think the court would consider setting aside my CCJ on these grounds?
    I have no idea about this or where I stand etc
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Jan 19, 7:44 AM
    • 21,238 Posts
    • 22,932 Thanks
    zx81
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:44 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:44 AM
    You don't seem to have any grounds for a set aside.

Looking to the future, use a broker when looking for a mortgage so that your application gets placed correctly.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 14th Jan 19, 7:51 AM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 2,322 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:51 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:51 AM
    Again post on the parking forum.

But probably not no
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th Jan 19, 8:23 AM
    • 33,824 Posts
    • 21,311 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:23 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:23 AM
    Thankyou for reply,
    So do lenders take into account why the CCJ was issued?
    I wasnít at the address where my car was registered I moved house just over a month prior to the parking penalty, during this time my new born daughter was in intensive care being extremely premature.
    The parking fine i didnít know I received but since finding out paid immediately, itís more the point of me being unaware of any court letters etc.
    Do you think the court would consider setting aside my CCJ on these grounds?
    I have no idea about this or where I stand etc
    Originally posted by H44MP

Did you change the address on your licence ?

I dont see how it can be set aside when you should have changed the address the car was registered at.
    • H44MP
    • By H44MP 14th Jan 19, 9:21 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    H44MP
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:21 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:21 AM
    At the time I had recently moved house and my main concern was was daughter in intensive care, so changing my address wasnít on the top of my list of things to do, which I know should of been done but under the conditions i was in I didnít think.

I think itís wrong that the parking fine company made no other attempt to track me down, neither the court... Iíve been on electoral role at every address so I canít be hard to find. If I had known about the fine I would of paid up, but how can I pay a fine / respond to any letters if Iím completely oblivious to charges against me.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 14th Jan 19, 10:05 AM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 2,322 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 14th Jan 19, 10:05 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 10:05 AM
    It's not their job to track you down - the onus is on your to update your address when you move
    • Melissah19
    • By Melissah19 4th Feb 19, 4:06 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Melissah19
    • 4th Feb 19, 4:06 PM
    • 4th Feb 19, 4:06 PM
    Hi, I am currently experiencing the same thing. Moved address and changed with the DVLA two days after the ticket had been issued (we had already moved).
    Wasn't aware of the CCJ until we have come to look for another mortgage! (Very similar to yourself)
    Currently looking to contest but wondering if you have had any luck with this?!
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 4th Feb 19, 4:16 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 2,111 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    Hi, I am currently experiencing the same thing. Moved address and changed with the DVLA two days after the ticket had been issued (we had already moved).
    Wasn't aware of the CCJ until we have come to look for another mortgage! (Very similar to yourself)
    Currently looking to contest but wondering if you have had any luck with this?!
    Originally posted by Melissah19
    Post your query up on the Parking Forum for best results.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,278Posts Today

6,901Users online

Martin's Twitter