Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ermintrude89
    • By Ermintrude89 13th Jan 19, 10:07 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Ermintrude89
    Buyer threatening to pull out of sale
    • #1
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:07 PM
    Buyer threatening to pull out of sale 13th Jan 19 at 10:07 PM
    Hi there

    Iím just after a bit of advice of how to approach this. My partner and I both have houses to sell and are buying one together combining the chain. My house sold within a week at the start of November to first time buyers. My partners took a little longer with Xmas and everything and he agreed a sale last week to a first time buyer. We then the next day had an offer agreed on a no chain property to keep the chain as simple as possible. On ringing my estate agents to inform them they tell me that my buyers are now threatening to pull out unless we can complete in the next 4/5 weeks. They want me to move out of my house into my partners and break the chain. However I have never promised to do this and the situation was discussed with the buyers on viewing the house. We have been advised financially that it is best to sell both at the same time and my partners house is not suitable for my pets so this is not something I want to do. I am to ring my estate agents in the morning and speak to my sale advisor. I am going to say that the buyers are unlikely to complete quicker on another sale now and possibly offer to pay for the repeat searches if they are needed.
    Does anyone have any advice of how to deal with this and negotiate further? Apparently my buyers are a bit of a nuisance and are ringing the estate agents every day.

    Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Jan 19, 10:12 PM
    • 20,342 Posts
    • 18,988 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • #2
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:12 PM
    • #2
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:12 PM
    How far away from exchange are your partner's property and the place you're buying?

    You've basically got two choices.
    1. Agree, exchange, and move in to your partner's.
    2. Disagree and hope the buyer's bluffing.

    There's no particular financial benefit that I can think of from completing on one sale before the other - there would be on completing the sales before the purchase, obviously.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 13th Jan 19, 10:22 PM
    • 61,573 Posts
    • 54,802 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • #3
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:22 PM
    • #3
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:22 PM
    Trying to time the sale of 2 properties together may prove problematic. Far easier to sell them separately. Put your pets into kennels or a cattery, and your excess personal possessions into storage.

    However don't be bullied by your buyers. Let the process take it's normal course.

    I had a similar situation 12 years ago and did likewise.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Ermintrude89
    • By Ermintrude89 13th Jan 19, 10:36 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Ermintrude89
    • #4
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:36 PM
    • #4
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:36 PM
    Thanks for your replies. Being a veterinary nurse I am conscious of the stress moving twice would put on my pets and I’m not prepared to put them in a cattery for an indefinite period of time. It’s tricky when my buyers have known the situation all along and now when it’s all in motion they threaten us with this deadline. I’m hoping they come around when they realise it’s all in motion and everyone wants to complete ASAP.
    • martin1959
    • By martin1959 13th Jan 19, 10:42 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    martin1959
    • #5
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:42 PM
    • #5
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:42 PM
    Would your purchasers be happier with a longer period between exchange and completion?

    They would at least know their purchase was definitely going to go through, and would give them a couple of months without paying a mortgage.

    We have done this before and hope to do it this time as we are having works done on the property we are moving into and will take time to complete the works, but would like the reassurance we have exchanged.
    20 plus years as a mortgage adviser for Halifax (have now retired), and I have pretty much seen it all....
    • Ermintrude89
    • By Ermintrude89 13th Jan 19, 10:55 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Ermintrude89
    • #6
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:55 PM
    • #6
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:55 PM
    Maybe! I need to try and figure out what is causing the deadline really. I get the impression they are being impatient which I understand but I think with them being first time buyers they don’t understand how long it can take generally.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 13th Jan 19, 11:03 PM
    • 693 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    • #7
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:03 PM
    • #7
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:03 PM
    Who knows what their circumstances are really. As Adrian says there are two choices - try and find out their reasoning first. Maybe they have personal reasons (like with you and the pets) for quickening it up.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 13th Jan 19, 11:05 PM
    • 693 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    • #8
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:05 PM
    • #8
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:05 PM
    I do see their thinking though. On the face of it you are holding up the chain to make it better for you and I can see why they think it would be ok for you to move in to one of your houses.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 14th Jan 19, 12:23 AM
    • 12,017 Posts
    • 14,057 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • #9
    • 14th Jan 19, 12:23 AM
    • #9
    • 14th Jan 19, 12:23 AM
    We have been advised financially that it is best to sell both at the same time

    Do you know why? On the face of it you are indeed holding the sale up for your cats so i can understand the buyers being peeved about it, you are favouring your cats over a quick sale.
    You'll have to take a judgement whether they will walk, is your sale more than 4/5 weeks away?

    They will have expended money OTOH it seems to be a buyers market at the moment and they might well find something cheaper/better if they start looking again which may mean its worth them pulling out.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 14th Jan 19, 9:13 AM
    • 5,400 Posts
    • 3,482 Thanks
    csgohan4
    MY vendor put their cats in a cattery. You have decide now, a quick sale or lose your sale for your cats
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 14th Jan 19, 10:20 AM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 1,460 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    decades ago we sold two houses and bought one - OH had already moved on to the new job so I was juggling the whole thing. We put them up for sale and had offers quickly, one completed more quickly and I moved all the stuff to the other one. Several houseplants but no pets. Think completing on both at the same time would have been chaos
    • martindow
    • By martindow 14th Jan 19, 10:36 AM
    • 7,929 Posts
    • 4,570 Thanks
    martindow
    Having a chain with two branches is not really different to a normal chain where everyone wants to exchange simultaneously.


    If you did decide to separate the two sales, in what way is your partner's house unsuitable for pets? Could you cats not stay there for a short time. Even if it's not ideal it may be better than a cattery.
    • Bossypants
    • By Bossypants 14th Jan 19, 11:05 AM
    • 730 Posts
    • 1,422 Thanks
    Bossypants
    Do the cats really have to go in a cattery in any event? I understand that your partner's place may not be ideal for them, but surely you could arrange it so that they could stay there (with you) for a few weeks. My cats have moved with me a number of times over the years, and while they don't enjoy it (neither do I!), they generally settle pretty quickly so long as they are surrounded by their familiar things and people, and don't have to deal with too many strangers.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 14th Jan 19, 11:09 AM
    • 6,358 Posts
    • 6,730 Thanks
    Comms69
    Hi there

    Iím just after a bit of advice of how to approach this. My partner and I both have houses to sell and are buying one together combining the chain. My house sold within a week at the start of November to first time buyers. My partners took a little longer with Xmas and everything and he agreed a sale last week to a first time buyer. We then the next day had an offer agreed on a no chain property to keep the chain as simple as possible. On ringing my estate agents to inform them they tell me that my buyers are now threatening to pull out unless we can complete in the next 4/5 weeks. They want me to move out of my house into my partners and break the chain. However I have never promised to do this and the situation was discussed with the buyers on viewing the house. We have been advised financially that it is best to sell both at the same time and my partners house is not suitable for my pets so this is not something I want to do. I am to ring my estate agents in the morning and speak to my sale advisor. I am going to say that the buyers are unlikely to complete quicker on another sale now and possibly offer to pay for the repeat searches if they are needed.
    Does anyone have any advice of how to deal with this and negotiate further? Apparently my buyers are a bit of a nuisance and are ringing the estate agents every day.

    Thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by Ermintrude89


    I can understand their position. They are a bit too keen, but they are only interested in your house, not your partners.


    As for not moving in with your partner; well sure but you risk losing the buyer now and going back to step 1
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 14th Jan 19, 11:15 AM
    • 519 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    diggingdude
    Them being first time buyers isn't really the problem. If they are ready to exchange and you aren't let them know a date you will exchange on and hope they don't find something better
    House Deposit - Target £20000 April 2019
    Current Savings - £10225 13121.22 £14621.22 £16021 £17296£15171 £15971 £16983 £19646
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Jan 19, 12:24 PM
    • 20,342 Posts
    • 18,988 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Do the cats really have to go in a cattery in any event? I understand that your partner's place may not be ideal for them, but surely you could arrange it so that they could stay there (with you) for a few weeks. My cats have moved with me a number of times over the years, and while they don't enjoy it (neither do I!), they generally settle pretty quickly so long as they are surrounded by their familiar things and people, and don't have to deal with too many strangers.
    Originally posted by Bossypants
    If the partner's place is a flat with a no-pets rule in the lease, and the cats have been used to having garden access...
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 14th Jan 19, 12:27 PM
    • 3,171 Posts
    • 4,715 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    They might be bluffing; but in the event they're not, what's more important - the well-being of your pets or the sale of your house?
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 14th Jan 19, 12:32 PM
    • 12,017 Posts
    • 14,057 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Thanks for your replies. Being a veterinary nurse I am conscious of the stress moving twice would put on my pets and Iím not prepared to put them in a cattery for an indefinite period of time. Itís tricky when my buyers have known the situation all along and now when itís all in motion they threaten us with this deadline. Iím hoping they come around when they realise itís all in motion and everyone wants to complete ASAP.
    Originally posted by Ermintrude89

    Just noticed your words there; Maybe your buyers arent prepared to wait for "an indefinite period of time" either ?


    Sure, everyone "wants" to complete asap but its not very convincing when "indefinite" comes up.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • Bossypants
    • By Bossypants 14th Jan 19, 12:33 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 1,422 Thanks
    Bossypants
    If the partner's place is a flat with a no-pets rule in the lease, and the cats have been used to having garden access...
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    But it's not permanent, just a month or two. My cats are used to roaming but they sometimes have to put up with being shut in for a while, for one reason or another. As for the lease, there is that of course, but the flat is in the process of being sold anyway, so while it might not be 'correct', I doubt anything much will come of it. As a cat owner myself, I would prefer that risk to having my cats in a cattery for any length of time.
    • jonboy321
    • By jonboy321 14th Jan 19, 12:49 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    jonboy321
    I'm not sure it is fair to describe the buyers as being a bit of a nuisance for calling the estate agent every day. The have had an offer in for two and a half months and nothing has progressed. I would be pretty annoyed if I was throwing my life savings and a hell of a mortgage at something and the sellers were delaying because of their cats.
    Its a buyers market at the moment and they are likely to find someone else who'll snap their had off. The price of new searches is likely to be eclipsed by other month(s) rent if they don't know when they are going to move.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

202Posts Today

2,464Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This probably (who knows) makes it both more likely we'll remain in the EU via a 2nd referendum and more likely we'? https://t.co/GrNV48E1jS

  • Instant aftermath poll: After a defeat by over 230 votes on a flagship issue (Brexit) should Theresa May resign?

  • Wow losing by over 200. That's not defeat it's obliteration. Has there ever been a time before when a PM could lo? https://t.co/i0sVwL9P9P

  • Follow Martin