Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nLdn
    • By nLdn 13th Jan 19, 9:32 PM
    • 57Posts
    • 17Thanks
    nLdn
    any tips for dealing with new but smelly mattress topper?
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:32 PM
    any tips for dealing with new but smelly mattress topper? 13th Jan 19 at 9:32 PM
    Hi,

I bought a memory foam mattress topper from John Lewis just after christmas. ITs super comfortable and I've had brilliant sleep since getting it.

Theres one big drawback though. It stinks. Theres like a copydex / chemical like / almost fishy smell. Its filled my room and I'm struggling to shift it.

Now, if it were summer I'd just stick it on my balcony for a couple of days to air it. With it being january this isnt an option.

Any tips? As I type i'm in the process of drying the protective cover having put it in the washing machine earlier but theres still traces of the smell on it. The foam itself is still rough.

Any experience of this? How long will it be before it stops stinking? I need hope!

Thanks,

B
Page 1
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 13th Jan 19, 10:22 PM
    • 3,335 Posts
    • 5,512 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:22 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:22 PM
    Don't let the fact that it's January stop you!!

Yes, you'll have to pick your moment, and yes you'll have to keep an eye on the weather (but that would be the case in the summer too!!) - a breath of fresh air will probably do the trick.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 16th Jan 19, 12:49 AM
    • 24,101 Posts
    • 27,196 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    • 16th Jan 19, 12:49 AM
    • 16th Jan 19, 12:49 AM
    Balcony on as many dry days and nights as possible. Cold air is dry air, it holds much less water than warm air. Plus the unhealthy chemicals are outside not inside.

Or message John Lewis for advice: their customer service is legendary. I had a great experience very recently.
    What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,655Posts Today

9,659Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Perhaps the only thing we truly learn from this poll is we are generally optimistic. Most Brexiteers think Brexit w? https://t.co/DoosVRvneE

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ??Join the UK's biggest consumer website ??Make a difference ??Work with brilliant journalists ??Collaborate with top b?

• Today's Twitter poll: Do you believe the UK will leave the European Union in 2019? PS. Twitter/my following tends? https://t.co/U3DknxaJOG

• Follow Martin