Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 13th Jan 19, 9:05 PM
    • 2,582Posts
    • 36,764Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 14th January 2019
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:05 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 14th January 2019 13th Jan 19 at 9:05 PM
    Welcome to the first full thread of 2019.
    It's been lovely to see some newbies already and I'm so pleased to see some familiar faces posting. The thread became very quiet last year which worried me...I, for one, have massively appreciated the support offered by poster here and I know I'm not the only one. Here's to a 2019 with joys and fun and, hopefully less clutter and dirt...

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please donít stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspotsare areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    WUDUPA ~ Washed up, dried up, put away
    WUALTD ~ Washed up and left to dry
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ Nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ Person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ Miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Some of our abbreviations: DH- dear husband, OH- other half, KH/CF- affectionate term for ex husband or partner DS/DD- dear son/daughter, DGC- dear grandchild, WM- washing machine, DW- dishwasher, LR/DR- living/dining room, RoD- room of doom, Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al- supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

OK here we go!

Manic Monday - Kitchen and Dining Room
    Level One

Clean floors
    Level Two
    Clear and wipe kitchen surfaces
    Clean cupboard door fronts and the kick boards
    Sort fridge bringing what needs using soon to the front
    Wipe dining table (clean table cloth if necessary)
    Check your car is topped up with anti-freeze, radiator water, oil,petrol. Check your tyre pressure too, if your car is being used during upcoming freezing weather.
    Level Three
    Sort the utensils.. half melted spatulas are not necessary!
    HHI.. then wash the ironing board cover!
    Dust any extra furniture in dining room, checking for cobwebs on way round
    Wash the washer drawer out if it's gunky
    Clean oven - because I know it wasn't on the list last week
    Check you have essentials in the car, if you are driving, i.e. chocolate, flask, torch, warm blanket and charged up mobile phone. We don't want you to get stuck in any snow.

Extra Mission
    Choose one or more of:
    • Wipe out the fridge, make sure the drain is clear
    • Wipe over little appliances, wipe under them before putting them back
    • Clean dishwasher, cooker hood (if washable) and tumble drier filters
    • Wipe window sills, clean any marks off windows if required
    • Wipe the front of large appliances

Tuesday Living Room, Hall and Stairs

Level One

Vacuum floors and sofas
    Level Two
    Dusting, even if around everything
    Remove clutter making sure stairs especially are safe
    Clean TV, other electricals and cabinets
    Level Three
    Wipe light switches and banister
    Clean any other glass like mirrors etc
    Tidy shoes, coats and bags
    Vacuum under furniture (only if you won't hurt yourself doing it, don't want any injuries)
    Get a winter emergency box for your car.. it's still not too late SEE HERE for ideas!

Extra Mission:
    Pick one or more of the following tasks Ė
    • Clear one hotspot or spend at least 15 minutes clearing it a bit
    • HHI
    • Give the inside of the front door a wipe (if it's not raining you could do the outside too)
    • Wipe the leaves of your plants
    • Sort through any magazines or paperwork lying around
    • Clean windows and sills in these areas

Wonderful Wednesdays - Master Bedroom & Landing
    Level One

Check fire alarms are working
    Remove and wash bed linen.
    Level Two
    Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
    Vacuum mattress before replacing with fresh linen, air the bed if possible
    15 minutes floordrobe clearance
    Level Three
    Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
    Sort one area of clothes or linen storage making sure only what should be in there is, anything that's had it's day or doesn't belong there is removed

Extra tasks list, as usual choose one or more
    • Ebay/Amazon/Car boot search, anything that can be sold which is no longer used?
    • 27 fling boogie time, time for that midweek fling, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
    • Clean windows in these rooms
    • Check the airing cupboard, anything that is way past it's use by (maybe recycle for rags if possible, you could donate old sheets or towels to a local animal rescue for bedding)
    • Clean the bed frame where you can, vacuum if cloth covered, wipe with a cloth if wood/metal etc

Thursday Bathroom and Study/Pc Area
    Level One
    Clean floors in these rooms (even if it is around the clutter)
    Level Two
    Clean baths, toilets and sinks
    Clear any clutter from desk
    Dust PC and desk, wipe with damp cloth if grimey
    Wipe keyboard, house phone, sockets, switches and mouse etc
    Level Three
    Clear clutter from floor
    Wipe down tiles in bathroom
    Delete 10 links in your favourites which you no longer use or are dead!
    Clean shower screen/curtain if you have one/if required

Extra mission:
    Pick whichever you want to attempt:
    • Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
    • Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains etc
    • Clean/wash the brushes/dust box/filters on the vacuum cleaner (ensure these are dry before using again)
    • Clean the radiators in these rooms (and behind them if you can)
    • Defragment PC, or at least do a disc clean up
    • Towels & Flannels- wash any grimey ones, make ones which are ''beyond repair'' into something else (flannels, cloths etc) or get rid!

Freaky Friday - Frightening Kids Rooms and Spare Rooms
    Level One
    15 minutes clearing clutter!
    Spend at least 15 minutes doing something for yourself, whatever that might be
    Level Two
    Vacuum floors (even if it's around the rest of the junk)
    Strip beds and replace with fresh linen
    Level Three
    15 more minutes clearing clutter!
    Dusting - all those flat surfaces which have become fuzzy!
    Clean window, sill and frame

Extra tasks, if you have extra time and want to do more, you could try one of these
    • Clean skirting boards in one room
    • Wipe down a childrens bed frame/cot
    • 15 minutes ironing
    • Paperwork sorting, spend 10 minutes on it, little and often! Anything need dealing with urgently?
    • 27 fling boogie, time for the Friday Fling! Grab a bag and clear that clutter.
    Last edited by Natty68; 17-01-2019 at 9:15 PM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 1
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 13th Jan 19, 9:09 PM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 22,401 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:09 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:09 PM
    Iím in xx

Thanks for the lists ladies xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 13th Jan 19, 9:15 PM
    • 957 Posts
    • 11,238 Thanks
    Fayolle
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:15 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:15 PM
    I’m in too. Thank you both for last week and this week. I just love that putting chocolate in the car is a job that I might actually do! X
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 13th Jan 19, 9:40 PM
    • 5,030 Posts
    • 57,623 Thanks
    Jazee
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:40 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:40 PM
    I'm in. Thank everyone for the list. See you all in the morning.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread #78 Mar - £452.84 Total 2019 - £1223.57/£5k
    Keep Moving Challenge - walked 158 miles
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 13th Jan 19, 10:20 PM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 24,283 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:20 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:20 PM
    Thanks for lists.
    More hugs for Roundtuit and Jojo.
    Didn't get up early enough to go for a run before church but gritted teeth and went afterwards.
    One load of washing done.
    More of a report done.
    That's about it!
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • kjgkgj
    • By kjgkgj 13th Jan 19, 11:31 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    kjgkgj
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:31 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:31 PM
    Have only had a chance to read your posts but not reply myself. Itís been a busy few days, photographer coming this week to photo house for estate agents, trying to get it on the market ASAP. Ever since we had our 7 month old baby I got further and further behind with the house, so itís taking a while to de-clutter and get sorted.

Managed to filler in the bathroom, repaint part of bathroom and part of kitchen, bits not finished since we moved in! Helped hubby on tractor and trailer move a huge compost heap at parent in laws house, whilst they (granny and grandad) looked after DS. DW x 1, WM x 2, brushed dogs, sorted and burned old receipts.

Tomorrow;

DW x 1
    De-clutter tops
    Empty fryer of oil, clean and put away in cupboard
    Clean floors
    Clean hob top and outside of oven
    Wipe over little appliances, wipe under them before putting them back
    Clean cooker hood
    Wipe window sills, clean any marks off windows if required

Bathroom
    Clean toilet
    De-limescale sink and shower screen
    Clean bath
    Wipe windowsill and wash toothbrush holder
    Hoover carpet
    Clean window and mirror

Busy day planned, best get some sleep!
    Mortgage overpayments 2014 £175
    GC Dec £169.00/£220.00
    GC Jan £169.31/£220.00
    GC Feb £259.23/£220.00
    GC Mar £219.02/£220.00
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 14th Jan 19, 6:10 AM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 39,856 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    • 14th Jan 19, 6:10 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 6:10 AM
    Morning

Wide awake at 5am so got up, have done 15 minutes pilates and deep breathing (whilst the dog watched me looking concerned). Determined to try and beat this anxiety that is threatening to engulf me at the moment.

The stupid thing is that things are well here at the minute. Work is stressful (but they are pleased with how I am doing in my new job), we have absolutely no money and there are a few worried about DS1 but really it could be worse. However, my brain seems to think the world is about to end.

So on with the day. Paid stuff first, will fly later x
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 14th Jan 19, 6:39 AM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 22,057 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    • 14th Jan 19, 6:39 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 6:39 AM
    I'm in please. I fell off the cart about midweek, so need to climb back aboard.

Loads to do...

Thanks for the listies xxx
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 14th Jan 19, 7:37 AM
    • 5,030 Posts
    • 57,623 Thanks
    Jazee
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:37 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:37 AM
    Morning all. About to make a start on the list. Will wipe table and dust furniture in dining room.

Have a great day everyone.
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 14th Jan 19, 7:42 AM
    • 778 Posts
    • 10,743 Thanks
    roundtuit
    Determined to try and beat this anxiety that is threatening to engulf me at the moment.

The stupid thing is that things are well here at the minute. Work is stressful (but they are pleased with how I am doing in my new job), we have absolutely no money and there are a few worried about DS1 but really it could be worse. However, my brain seems to think the world is about to end.
    Originally posted by YORKSHIRELASS
    You are not alone YL xx And you weren't alone at 6.10 am either - but I was in the shower deep breathing and concentrating on the feel of water hitting my skin to quell my anxiety. It really didn't help that I dreamed I had terminal cancer And woke up panicking about how to clear the house before I died so that DS didn't have to do it. Message received and understood subconscious but

Thank you for the hugs and sympathy xx My main concern is my Dad - he's 84 and just watched his wife and brother die less that three months apart. He's turned into an old man in front of my eyes - just shrunk somehow

I managed WM x 3 yesterday so, thanks to selective drying , I was able to put on clean clothes for work after my shower this morning. I also washed a bowl of pots yesterday so I had a clean dish in which to make porridge for breakfast and a clean spoon to eat it with. Every little helps

jojo - sorry to hear about your birthday. Hugs xx

Paid stuff for me today as usual, but I will feed the birds and put out the rubbish and recycling before I go. Got two cards to put through letterboxes too - I bought the cards and stamps when prompted by Valli on the listy. But didn't get any further than that.... Heyho.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Hugs
    Rxx
    Last edited by roundtuit; 14-01-2019 at 7:44 AM.
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 14th Jan 19, 7:51 AM
    • 2,641 Posts
    • 38,435 Thanks
    ionafan
    Big (((hugs))) to Roundtuit. So sorry to hear your news.

Big (((hugs))) to Jojo. Sorry I missed your birthday, but I hope the next year brings better things for you.

Well done Yorkshirelass on making a success of your new job
    I'll throw some sticks for your BD when Rosie and I go for our walk in the woods later.

I am feeling decidedly grotty today, having caught the rotten cold that's doing the rounds. Unfortunately time constraints mean that I can't postpone a visit to someone this morning, for which there are still a few things to prepare, but apart from taking Rosie out and cooking a chicken curry for tea tonight, I'm not planning on doing much otherwise except transferring more phone numbers from my old phone to the new one. The stuff on my desk is gradually disappearing into the right file / bin / shelf so the RoD is looking slightly better today than it did last week. If I feel well enough, I will go to the Old Wives' meeting this evening, otherwise it will be an early night for me.

I cooked soup for tea last night. In our house the rule is, whoever cooks does not wash up (although I seem to remember that that rule was ignored on Christmas Day!!!???). DH must have thought that yesterday was Christmas Day 2019, as I came down to a pile of washing up in the kitchen sink this morning. I have left it for him to do [evil laugh]
    Last edited by ionafan; 14-01-2019 at 7:55 AM.
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 14th Jan 19, 8:42 AM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 36,764 Thanks
    Natty68
    Level One

Clean floors
    Level Two
    Level Three
    Sort the utensils.. half melted spatulas are not necessary!
    HHI.. then wash the ironing board cover!
    Dust any extra furniture in dining room, checking for cobwebs on way round
    Clean oven - because I know it wasn't on the list last week

Extra Mission
    Choose one or more of:
    • Wipe out the fridge, make sure the drain is clear
    • Wipe over little appliances, wipe under them before putting them back
    • Wipe window sills, clean any marks off windows if required
    • Wipe the front of large appliances

Morning everyone. Up at a reasonable time as DH is working from home and he lets me lay in as it's one of my days off from work. Unfortunately the cats didn't get that memo..

Didn't think I had done that much but after realising I had done some bits automatically it turned out to be a fair bit I could delete from the list.

Going to brave putting the washing on the line in a bit..luckily it's lightweights so should dry.

I can feel the old BD trying to get through but I'm fending him off as best I can. Plenty of sticks are being thrown to occupy him.

Mr and Mrs Dove are looking very forlorn as the horrible developers, at the back of me, have taken down my tree that was just outside my boundary. Sadly it was where Mr and Mrs Dove sat all day and went to sleep in. They even nested there occasionally. Now they think.its out fault so seem to be boycotting our lovely food for them. Funnily enough I haven't heard my magpie since the tree went down on Saturday.

Kaz I read your post yesterday where you mentioned your strike last year.. I did have a wee giggle as I remember that well. I still don't know, to this day, how you didn't give in. But did it work or are they lapsing back into old ways.?

Has anyone seen Piggers? I know she was going away but unlike her not to post on the first listy day.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    • Pollybear
    • By Pollybear 14th Jan 19, 8:54 AM
    • 3,116 Posts
    • 57,796 Thanks
    Pollybear
    Morning all. I've got a load of washing out on the line in the hope it will dry. Had a pretty good sleep last night but still feel really tired and achy after yesterday's tip runs. Definitely getting old!

My black dog is quite small, a chihuahua really, but it's nipping round my ankles.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 14th Jan 19, 9:08 AM
    • 1,979 Posts
    • 10,833 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Must be 'anxiety monday' I'm really struggling today. And I'm working away, which isn't helping as my support networks are only virtual at the moment.

Flying is going to look different this week as I'm in hotels all week.

But I have paid the deposit for the woodworm treatment and contacted the surveyor with some out standing questions.

Updated the decorator on where we are up to (we had booked her in to decorate our bedroom but the dining room needs to take priority now.

As I did my first ever tax return at the weekend I now know what info I really need (mostly my work mileage ) so will start gathering this for the current tax year. Work reimburse me at 40p a mile, hmrc rate is 45p per mile so I can claim tax relief of 5p for every mile I drive.

Right. Off to work.

Appreciate some sticks being thrown for my bd please.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100 Dec: 28/100
    MFW 2019 Challenge Member #59: 0/£2860
    • Valli
    • By Valli 14th Jan 19, 9:12 AM
    • 20,955 Posts
    • 237,699 Thanks
    Valli
    Morning all

Beautiful sunny day here but as I am at work later I have put the washing through the TD

Off piste list

Strip and remake DS's bed
    Fill WM with bedding
    Empty DW
    Empty maiden and iron
    Pack up stuff for CS
    Pack up eBay sales

Better get up and get showered
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 14th Jan 19, 9:32 AM
    • 10,383 Posts
    • 127,064 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Some times I have to do a reminder of my strike, but now a days, the house is fairily decluttered, so anything that gets left sticks out like a sore thumb.......

Thank you for all the lists.

So far
    WM x 2 on
    Bed stripped and remade
    20 mins on my walking machine done (Slinky is back on here......I will bore you all on a Monday with the previous weeks weight loss, it will keep me on track I hope, so far 12 lbs gone since mid Dec) \I failed misberaly last year.
    I have membership of the Natinoal Trust for my birthday from OH, don't think I have ever had membership of anything national before, so off to find out what I / we can use it for.
    Hoovered downstairs
    Bleached toilets
    Cleaned kitchen sink
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 14th Jan 19, 10:01 AM
    • 5,030 Posts
    • 57,623 Thanks
    Jazee
    Gosh, I've been busy throwing sticks at all your BDs.

Have also just managed to get the recycling out as the bin men drove round the corner, changed the bedding which is now in the WM, washed up, prepped for craft group later and dusted dusty bits in DR.

Just having a cuppa then I'll walk the dogs, prep for school presentation today and hoover/ sweep/mop through.
    • shirlgirl2004
    • By shirlgirl2004 14th Jan 19, 11:01 AM
    • 2,919 Posts
    • 5,474 Thanks
    shirlgirl2004
    I'm in as far as I can be, so thanks for the list.

Can't really do anything in the kitchen today as the OH is working from home and likes to work in the kitchen.

Have S&S the bathrooms, Ruby2 (robot) is cleaning master bedroom, DD2 and landing carpets. 1 x WM on.

Cleared out some off bottles of lotions from the dressing table and am working to use the last of nearly finished bottles rather than using newer ones.

Will aim to do today's list alongside tomorrow's.
    • hex2
    • By hex2 14th Jan 19, 11:59 AM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    Thanks Natty for this weeks list. I'm in as much as I can be although it's another busy work week.

WM is on and The Robot has just started hoovering the Snug so something achieved at least. The kitchen would look better if I just put the DW so will do that on my lunch break shortly.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 14th Jan 19, 12:05 PM
    • 5,030 Posts
    • 57,623 Thanks
    Jazee
    My flying has stopped for the day as I'm just having a snack and will then be out until about 6. Only task on my list not done is mopping.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,162Posts Today

6,949Users online

Martin's Twitter