Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 13th Jan 19, 9:04 PM
    • 2,746Posts
    • 2,074Thanks
    no1catman
    Damp 'problem' - to cure or not?
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:04 PM
    Damp 'problem' - to cure or not? 13th Jan 19 at 9:04 PM
    At what stage do you decide that a 'damp problem' you have, needs to have something done about it?
    Or is there no such thing as a minor damp problem - it is something that should be fixed?

OK, the obvious signs are loose wall paper, stained wallpaper, powdery plaster, where a wall feels cold to touch, and there's a musty smell. All signs that something needs to be done.

But what about the opposite - none of the above - just an inch (high) by a foot (long) line above the skirting board on an internal wall?

At what point does it become worth all the dust and upheaval of going back to brick etc!?
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
Page 1
    • JimmyChanga
    • By JimmyChanga 13th Jan 19, 9:19 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    JimmyChanga
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:19 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:19 PM
    Is it an internal wall just meeting an outside one? Or further in? Lift up the floorboards (if you have them) and take a look. May be a pipe leaking?
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 14th Jan 19, 1:44 PM
    • 2,746 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    no1catman
    • 14th Jan 19, 1:44 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 1:44 PM
    Is it an internal wall just meeting an outside one? Or further in? Lift up the floorboards (if you have them) and take a look. May be a pipe leaking?
    Originally posted by JimmyChanga
    It's in an alcove that meets an outside wall at right-angles.

As I recall the highest damp meter reading was about 24% but there were more in the mid-teens.

Is this a cause for concern, i.e. get it sorted as soon as practical, or no big deal - keep an eye on it and if the area gets bigger then do something??
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 14th Jan 19, 7:07 PM
    • 3,391 Posts
    • 2,604 Thanks
    Mistral001
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:07 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:07 PM
    I would check for the source of the water. I had a similar problem a few years ago. The damp only came up two inches above the skirting board over a one foot length. I was convinced that it was rising damp and put off getting it fixed.

I eventually decided to tackle the problem and I pulled the carpet back at the wall to investigate. I found that the floorboards were rotting around a rising radiator pipe . Water was dripping down the pipe from the radiator valve. I replaced the valve and the damp spot gradually disappeared.
    • JimmyChanga
    • By JimmyChanga 14th Jan 19, 8:26 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    JimmyChanga
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:26 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:26 PM
    If you've been living there since there was no damp, then I'd definitely be checking it out.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 14th Jan 19, 10:10 PM
    • 2,746 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    no1catman
    • 14th Jan 19, 10:10 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 10:10 PM
    Thanks for the replies - for your info the area affected is not near any water pipes.

One challenge, is also how to manage the re-decoration. It's one thing to do the chimney breast and both alcoves, but quite another if there's damage to the wallpaper on the front bay wall, as a consequence of the work.

It's one thing to have a 'feature' wall on one side, but it'll look odd to have two pairs of walls decorated the same. Could cost more to have the room redecorated, than the actual damp wall restoration.

The other, is all the dust and grit, from taking it back to the brick - aarrrgh!!
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 15th Jan 19, 12:30 PM
    • 2,183 Posts
    • 3,020 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 15th Jan 19, 12:30 PM
    • 15th Jan 19, 12:30 PM
    I would check for the source of the water. I had a similar problem a few years ago. The damp only came up two inches above the skirting board over a one foot length. I was convinced that it was rising damp and put off getting it fixed.
    Originally posted by Mistral001
    Also had a long term problem with damp here. Finally bit the bullet and removed a couple of bricks from the wall to investigate the issue. Found the cavity had a pile of sand and building debris filling the gap - Some of this was from a time when an extension was added, but much dated to when the property was constructed.

It would also be worth checking the ground levels outside the property and make sure downpipes & drainage is in good order.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • JimmyChanga
    • By JimmyChanga 15th Jan 19, 1:18 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    JimmyChanga
    • 15th Jan 19, 1:18 PM
    • 15th Jan 19, 1:18 PM
    You don't have to re-decorate right now but you could at least avoid further damage by investigating the cause.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,270Posts Today

8,078Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin