Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • InThrees
    • By InThrees 13th Jan 19, 8:27 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    InThrees
    Step / stair cracks in outer wall
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:27 PM
    Step / stair cracks in outer wall 13th Jan 19 at 8:27 PM
    Hi there

I viewed a house yesterday and spotted cracking underneath the window - diagonal stair cracks from each corner of the window running down towards the centre (upside down triangle), illustrated in the attached photos. I'd say they have reasonable width (although I wasn't able to measure).

It is a Victorian end-terrace in south Manchester (I'm afraid I'm uncertain of the type of ground or how to find out). I couldn't see any signs of cracking elsewhere. The brickwork directly above and below the window appears to me newer than the rest, if relevant.

Is anyone able to provide an opinion based on these photos? Level of seriousness? My online research is giving mixed results. I recently pulled out of another property purchase following two surveys that scared me enough to walk away so I'm keen for an opinion prior to potentially forking out for another survey.

Many thanks, folks.

Links to photos below. I cannot post link as a new member so anyone who is able to fix would be greatly appreciated.

diynot.com/diy/attachments/img_8976-jpg.156625

diynot.com/diy/attachments/img_8977-jpg.156626
Page 1
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 13th Jan 19, 8:48 PM
    • 5,444 Posts
    • 8,313 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:48 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:48 PM
    https://www.diynot.com/diy/attachments/img_8976-jpg.156625/

https://www.diynot.com/diy/attachments/img_8977-jpg.156626/
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Jan 19, 8:50 PM
    • 46,539 Posts
    • 56,531 Thanks
    G_M
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:50 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:50 PM
    How long has that replacement window been there?

Why is the top of the window bowing slightly?
    Does the replacement window properly support the weight of the brickwork above it without a lintel?
    Why has brickwork been replaced (both above and below)? Yet nolintel added?

And what's going on at the foot of the wall where it meets the ground? It appears there's a gap between the botom row of bricks and whatever is below ground (further brickwork, foundation whatever.)........
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 13th Jan 19, 8:51 PM
    • 5,444 Posts
    • 8,313 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:51 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:51 PM
    How does the asking price compare to other properties. Is this a cheap house for the area?
    • InThrees
    • By InThrees 13th Jan 19, 9:04 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    InThrees
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:04 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:04 PM
    How long has that replacement window been there?

Why is the top of the window bowing slightly?
    Does the replacement window properly support the weight of the brickwork above it without a lintel?
    Why has brickwork been replaced (both above and below)? Yet no lintel added?

And what's going on at the foot of the wall where it meets the ground? It appears there's a gap between the botom row of bricks and whatever is below ground (further brickwork, foundation whatever.)........
    Originally posted by G_M

Hi GM

Thanks, great questions. I can't answer any of them but definite food for thought! Will also obtain answers if I progress with making an offer. I also hadn't spotted the gap at ground level - looks like a large horizontal crack?
    • InThrees
    • By InThrees 13th Jan 19, 9:06 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    InThrees
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:06 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:06 PM
    How does the asking price compare to other properties. Is this a cheap house for the area?
    Originally posted by Cakeguts

Thanks for fixing my URLs. It seems a good price but requires a great deal of modernisation. It is new to market and I don't think the price is unduly low. Perhaps I'm being harsh but do estate agents spot this kind of thing?
    Last edited by InThrees; 13-01-2019 at 9:08 PM. Reason: Quoting
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 13th Jan 19, 9:24 PM
    • 5,444 Posts
    • 8,313 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:24 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:24 PM
    Thanks for fixing my URLs. It seems a good price but requires a great deal of modernisation. It is new to market and I don't think the price is unduly low. Perhaps I'm being harsh but do estate agents spot this kind of thing?
    Originally posted by InThrees

The only reason I asked this is because you said that you had withdrawn from another purchase after the survey and it makes me think that you are looking at houses that appear to be "good value for money." Either they are bigger and cheaper or in a nice area and cheaper. The point is that there are no properties that are "good value for money." They are cheaper because there is something wrong with them. That something that is wrong with them could end up costing you more to fix than it would cost you to buy a property that is more expensive to start with but is also in much better condition.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 13th Jan 19, 10:02 PM
    • 7,828 Posts
    • 6,396 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:02 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:02 PM
    As its Victorian the property either had mullions or substantial timber window frames with a central sash window when built. These provided the support to the brickwork above. Have a look at neighbouring houses and see if there are any still in the original form.

The uPVC frame isn't strong enough to take the weight leading to the problem you can see. It won't be cheap to sort out.
    • InThrees
    • By InThrees 14th Jan 19, 9:12 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    InThrees
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:12 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:12 AM
    The only reason I asked this is because you said that you had withdrawn from another purchase after the survey and it makes me think that you are looking at houses that appear to be "good value for money." Either they are bigger and cheaper or in a nice area and cheaper. The point is that there are no properties that are "good value for money." They are cheaper because there is something wrong with them. That something that is wrong with them could end up costing you more to fix than it would cost you to buy a property that is more expensive to start with but is also in much better condition.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    I see what you are getting at. However, what we regarded as “wrong” with the property was the requirement for redecoration, new flooring, new kitchen, new bathroom and some rewiring. And yes, I realise there will be some ‘surprises’ too.

We can handle these and can deal with at our own pace. In other words we want a house we can do up ourselves, with the advantage of paying a lower price. Quite normal I thought. We draw the line, however, at major structural issues or movement and hoped the price reflected the modernisation required.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

958Posts Today

7,510Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin