Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 13th Jan 19, 6:29 PM
    • 885Posts
    • 2,787Thanks
    SSDD23
    New Year New Diary :)
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:29 PM
    New Year New Diary :) 13th Jan 19 at 6:29 PM
    Hello fellow MSE'rs.

I umm'd and ahh'd about creating a new diary to replace the old one, but so much happened last year between the start of my diary and now that my debt didn't really go down much (bought a car, wrote off a car, bought a new car, christmas, etc) so I thought I would start fresh with this new one, to actually record the debt going down.

Debt is circa 5k, between various cards and short term loans all of which are being paid off monthly and gradually decreasing, so the main focus is making extra money, having lots of No Spend Days, and splitting the extra money between over-payments to debts and putting money into an emergency fund.

I'm currently taking part in quite a few debt free challenges - pay off your debt by Christmas '19, Sealed Pot Challenge, 1 debt vs 100 days, make 」10 a day challenge and the NSD challenge. Each of these challenges make the world of difference, all of the encouragement goes a long way!

So this is just a quick hello (again) from me, a hello to anyone new reading and a big hello and big sorry (for starting afresh) to anyone who was reading the whole diary - it's like the good feeling of starting a new journal with all of the blank pages to fill, but online.

Here's to debt-busting!
    Last edited by SSDD23; 16-01-2019 at 8:58 AM.
    "The harder you work for something, the greater you値l feel when you achieve it"
Page 4
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 3rd Apr 19, 1:58 PM
    • 885 Posts
    • 2,787 Thanks
    SSDD23
    I got an email this morning confirming the broadband was ready to go, which would have been great if it weren't for the fact that the router was at the post office! Our welcome email said it would fit into a letterbox, but as ours is nailed to a wall I guess it wasn't quite the right fit. The plan had simply been for OH to go and get it on Frida morning as that is his day off, and when it was due to be connected.
    Anyhow, OH suggested I go and get it as the post office opens at 7am - he still seems to have a real bee in his bonnet about the fact I am happy to get to work 30 minutes early and have a coffee before I start rather than sit in traffic. I asked him where I should park as I don't ever drive into town, and his explanations weren't very clear as, again, I don't drive into town very often, so he got frustrated and said he would just have to get the kids ready earlier and they would go - let's bear in mind I got them awake this morning and made their breakfast so it's not like I didn't help

Anyway

We should have our new fibre up and running later, I imagine he will be fiddling with it before I get home from work. I would ask him to let me set it up but no doubt the kids will be nagging for it to be sorted ASAP now that they know it's ready early.

The plus side is that they should keep themselves busy tonight with their various games etc so we will have a chance to tidy the house up properly - two child size bombs have definitely hit!
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 6th Apr 19, 12:25 PM
    • 885 Posts
    • 2,787 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Off the MSE bandwagon a bit, I went out to my sister's birthday party last night - it turns out that our dad was there (half sisters) whom I have not seen since I was about two, so I proceeded to drink wine and pretend he was not there as a result of the wine, I spent 」25 on a chinese for OH and I the damage isn't too bad, I'll still get through the month.

I have discovered today our radiators operate their temperature separately to the thermostat I have been adjusting, so no wonder our gas bill is so high all of the time. They are now set more appropriately and the one in our hallway is switched off completely as we don't need that area heated and our front door is a bit bowed at the moment anyway so the heat was probably just going straight out.

A chilled out day today catching up on housework and trying to make some extra pennies online to counter the wine and Chinese! The only time I need to leave the house will be to do the food shopping and go to the gym, so plenty of time to relax beforehand.
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 15th Apr 19, 10:37 AM
    • 885 Posts
    • 2,787 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Long time no post, things are much the same, plodding through no milestones hit yet.

Just popped onto my thread to share that I had a win with my car insurance renewal. I had done dummy quotes and all had given similar results to the renewal with my current company, over 」2k per year and over 」190 per month. I accepted this as I have had two accidents in my first year of driving.

For a laugh, I fired up the laptop yesterday and put in my details as it was 21 days (the optimum date) until my renewal. First two quotes = 」650 for the year/ 」50 per month. I could not believe my eyes. With my new policy I will be 」170 per MONTH better off, and no black box judging my driving all of the time. I am over the moon.

This means I will have a totally new budget to work with in a few months, and even more so when OH gets his house sale and his equity. I think at that point I may start a new diary as it will be repaying money to OH to build up our future house deposit, as opposed to high-interest consumer credit debt

A good start to the week regardless, and I hope it continues
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Apr 19, 1:12 PM
    • 63,171 Posts
    • 277,691 Thanks
    beanielou
    That is an awesome difference in the car insurance.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 15th Apr 19, 1:41 PM
    • 885 Posts
    • 2,787 Thanks
    SSDD23
    That is an awesome difference in the car insurance.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Yes I was in shock I'm not really classed as a young driver but last year was my first year driving so I guess that contributed to the drop
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 15th Apr 19, 1:52 PM
    • 2,111 Posts
    • 11,512 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    If you are saving such a lot in car insurance, can you put aside 」50 a month for the next 12months then, when you renew next year, you can pay the upfront price. I'm pretty sure it's an 18%ish interest rate to pay monthly.

This is how I started, and, eventually I got to the point where I save for everything monthly, but pay annually.
    Outstanding mortgage: 」27,000
    MFW 2019 Challenge Member #28: 」800.something/ 」2860
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 15th Apr 19, 2:52 PM
    • 885 Posts
    • 2,787 Thanks
    SSDD23
    If you are saving such a lot in car insurance, can you put aside 」50 a month for the next 12months then, when you renew next year, you can pay the upfront price. I'm pretty sure it's an 18%ish interest rate to pay monthly.

This is how I started, and, eventually I got to the point where I save for everything monthly, but pay annually.
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    Yes that is 100% my plan for next year as for the whole year upfront would have been just over 」500, so I will set aside money over the next year from the savings I am making
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 14th May 19, 9:21 AM
    • 885 Posts
    • 2,787 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Well, a few bits have happened in the past month or so, so time for an update:

- We need to move out of our house by the end of July, so that was bad news, but thankfully as of the 1st of June the new rules on Tenancy Fees will come in to place. If we manage to move without a deposit also which is apparently becoming more and more common, it should be a relatively cheap move

- I interviewed for a weekend job on Saturday, and was offered it on Sunday. It is 6 base hours per week with the opportunity to do more like 9 or 10 per week. This was my idea to be able to contribute more to the household bills that OH has coming out of his account as we are both skint at the moment with our debt repayments until the house sale. We have agreed I will give OH an extra 」200 a month which should make a big difference to his budget each month, and anything over the 」200 I make will go against my own debt repayments

Smaller changes:
    - I have finally been accepted to do some extra online work in the week so I should be able to bring in a small amount extra there, too.
    - I made an offer for a small defaulted debt that is with a DC, 」170 sum being settled for 」75.
    - I have two savings pots with Monzo. 1 is locked until my car insurance is due for renewal next year which will hold the money for my car insurance upfront, breakdown cover in full, and hopefully the money for a service and MOT but if I can just do the first two, that will be enough. 2 is "Money to Carry Over" which is basically where I will aim to squirrel away money that can go into next month's budget rather than spend it just because it is there. This pot gets locked until the end of each month

I have re-done (again) a budget spreadsheet which now includes a column for expected additional expenses, so next month this includes the money for my dentist appointment, debt settlement cost, and will also include the cost of the work my car needs doing before the MOT, and cost of MOT, once all of this is confirmed - next month will be tight due to all of this but it all needs doing and should be do-able.

Getting accepted for the job (and admitting that we needed me to bring in some more money) has got my bottom into gear and should be much more organised going forwards. I have said that countless times, but it's pointless picking up extra hours if I'm going to stick to the same bad habits! OH is salaried with varying shifts each week and also brings in the much bigger pay check, so I am happy to pick up a few extra hours
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th May 19, 7:15 PM
    • 63,171 Posts
    • 277,691 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news on the job

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 15th May 19, 7:27 AM
    • 885 Posts
    • 2,787 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Great news on the job
    Thanks Beanie
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 16th May 19, 3:09 PM
    • 885 Posts
    • 2,787 Thanks
    SSDD23
    I must make an effort to get back into the habit of posting on here regularly, I feel like I am talking to myself though

Paid 」5 that I cashed out from PA into the "carry over to next month" pot so I will have at least 」5 left over from this month when payday hits, which is more than I have had in a long time! I added Monzo to my PayPal account so that I can simply put any extra money I make straight there if I want to, without the temptation of it sitting in my main current account

I am currently doing some voice recording work which is very long and dull and I don't 100% know if I will get paid for it as the deadline was last week but I couldn't get access to it until this week which we spent time communicating about, and I could still start the work when I finally got access this week so I will see how it goes. I have queried twice whether I could complete it and had no response. If I don't get paid, lesson learnt. If I do - happy days. I need to clear it anyway to start some work on the same app afterwards so I do need to get it done.

I'm waiting for a call from the new second job about my first day, I had sort of assumed it would be this weekend but they might not be in immediate need, I guess. I'll be a bit surprised if they phone tomorrow and ask me to come in on Saturday. Sunday, perhaps, but Saturday would be really short notice. Do-able, but short notice. I have my starter forms all filled out ready to drop in, just waiting on the call.

I am planning on having a spend-free weekend this weekend, we have the kids until Saturday, possibly until Sunday morning and then OH is working all day Sunday so I have no real need to spend any money other than our grocery money when I do the food shopping on Saturday evening.

x
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 20th May 19, 8:41 AM
    • 885 Posts
    • 2,787 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Happy Monday MSE!

(I say that through gritted teeth as I feel really poorly and rotten today but my job isn't physically demanding enough to warrant time off unless I'm physically sick)

I went to the second job for 3 hours on Sunday just to do computer-based induction stuff and will be going back for 3 hours each day this Saturday and Sunday, to do contracts etc and receive all of my stuff, and then get cracking with starting the work! Everyone who was there popped their head in to introduce themselves and say hi, so they seem like a friendly bunch which is nice.

I transferred another 」7 into my carry - over pot, so that's 」12 I'll have going in to next month

I have physio again today, not sure how it will go my foot almost felt 100% up until Thursday so it got me wondering if perhaps my work shoes (which have a bit of a wedged heel) are contributing as the week progresses putting more pressure on that part of my foot. I will ask his opinion later but I picked up some cheap flat shoes before work just in case.

I had 2 NSD's over the weekend, we were just out and about on the Saturday and Sunday I did my 3 hours then just chilled at home while OH was at work. I should have known I was coming down with something as I have had very little energy all week but yesterday spent most of the afternoon/evening sleeping on and off on the sofa and then had to rush round and try and get all the ironing and tidying done.

At least the sun is shining
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th May 19, 8:46 AM
    • 63,171 Posts
    • 277,691 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope physio goes well

***Keep plodding***
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 20th May 19, 1:29 PM
    • 885 Posts
    • 2,787 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Hope physio goes well
    Thank you

He said that should be our last appointment unless I am very unlucky, so fingers crossed!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th May 19, 4:54 PM
    • 63,171 Posts
    • 277,691 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thank you

He said that should be our last appointment unless I am very unlucky, so fingers crossed!
    Originally posted by SSDD23
    That's good then

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

372Posts Today

3,689Users online

Martin's Twitter