Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 13th Jan 19, 7:29 PM
    • 678Posts
    • 1,889Thanks
    SSDD23
    New Year New Diary :)
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:29 PM
    New Year New Diary :) 13th Jan 19 at 7:29 PM
    Hello fellow MSE'rs.

I umm'd and ahh'd about creating a new diary to replace the old one, but so much happened last year between the start of my diary and now that my debt didn't really go down much (bought a car, wrote off a car, bought a new car, christmas, etc) so I thought I would start fresh with this new one, to actually record the debt going down.

Debt is circa 5k, between various cards and short term loans all of which are being paid off monthly and gradually decreasing, so the main focus is making extra money, having lots of No Spend Days, and splitting the extra money between over-payments to debts and putting money into an emergency fund.

I'm currently taking part in quite a few debt free challenges - pay off your debt by Christmas '19, Sealed Pot Challenge, 1 debt vs 100 days, make 」10 a day challenge and the NSD challenge. Each of these challenges make the world of difference, all of the encouragement goes a long way!

So this is just a quick hello (again) from me, a hello to anyone new reading and a big hello and big sorry (for starting afresh) to anyone who was reading the whole diary - it's like the good feeling of starting a new journal with all of the blank pages to fill, but online.

Here's to debt-busting!
    Last edited by SSDD23; 16-01-2019 at 9:58 AM.
    "The harder you work for something, the greater you値l feel when you achieve it"
Page 1
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jan 19, 8:54 PM
    • 61,811 Posts
    • 264,900 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:54 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:54 PM
    Happy shiny new diary
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 14th Jan 19, 10:12 AM
    • 7,645 Posts
    • 10,447 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    • 14th Jan 19, 10:12 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 10:12 AM
    Happy New Diary. I am considering doing the same. A fresh start might help me refocus. Thanks for the nudge!
    26.2.19/14.1.19: T MC 3629.26/3629.26 : VM 0% 700/13876.59 : W 0% 80/1485 = 4409.26/18990.85 =23.22%
    28.1.19/28.1.19 Hubs 0% 」200/」2,977 =6.72%
    SPC 2019 #073

• SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 14th Jan 19, 12:14 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 1,889 Thanks
    SSDD23
    • 14th Jan 19, 12:14 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 12:14 PM
    Happy shiny new diary
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Happy New Diary. I am considering doing the same. A fresh start might help me refocus. Thanks for the nudge!
    Originally posted by Lucifa73
    Thank you both! (That was my hope, to refocus and move forward with a clean slate!)

Tasks for the week ahead:

-Progress with matched betting (I have set aside a pot, and am not adding to that, I will just continue to use the funds I set aside and take out money for savings/over-payments when I can do so and still leave a little profit in the pot)
    -Finally get around to taking the 」3 in old 」1 coins into my bank to pay in
    -Reply to pension company confirming details of pension I am transferring in
    -Try meditation
    -Hunt down more change to put into the sealed pot

Small tasks this week, not much I can do money-wise other than what I am already doing! I hope to be back here on Friday afternoon striking through all of those tasks

x
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 14th Jan 19, 2:18 PM
    • 7,645 Posts
    • 10,447 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    • 14th Jan 19, 2:18 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 2:18 PM
    I started meditation just over a year ago using the 'Calm' app. It is really great. It also does bedtime stories which really help me when I can't fall asleep. I have yet to hear more than the first few minutes of one...
    26.2.19/14.1.19: T MC 3629.26/3629.26 : VM 0% 700/13876.59 : W 0% 80/1485 = 4409.26/18990.85 =23.22%
    SPC 2019 #073

• SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 14th Jan 19, 2:29 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 1,889 Thanks
    SSDD23
    • 14th Jan 19, 2:29 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 2:29 PM
    I started meditation just over a year ago using the 'Calm' app. It is really great. It also does bedtime stories which really help me when I can't fall asleep. I have yet to hear more than the first few minutes of one...
    Originally posted by Lucifa73
    This has just reminded me that I actually have that app on my phone, typical me having never gotten around to using it! I have no excuses now not to try it this week
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Jan 19, 6:04 PM
    • 61,811 Posts
    • 264,900 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 14th Jan 19, 6:04 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 6:04 PM
    This has just reminded me that I actually have that app on my phone, typical me having never gotten around to using it! I have no excuses now not to try it this week
    Originally posted by SSDD23
    I cancelled mine as you had to pay for it

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 14th Jan 19, 11:05 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 1,622 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    • 14th Jan 19, 11:05 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 11:05 PM
    Shiny new diary! I have also umm'd and ahh'd about it but think I will defo start one when I'm more settled. Time for a fresh start and renewed focus to actually debt bust (my diary is not actually dfd but just a diary at this point )

Carrying on from your last diary - I'm glad this will be the last month of juggling for you! It can make things so stressful and just one tiny thing going wrong can wreck the whole chain. Hope things get smoother/ easier asap!

I just see all the jobs in the areas I could work in that have the hours I do, or the money I make now, and it's all "experience" "experience" "experience"
    That's a bit pants... It's such a vicious circle. Can't get a new job without experience, can't get experience without a new job Good idea getting OH involved in the challenge. It may be worth just putting yourself out there anyway, even for jobs you may not have the *exact* experience for. If you have any free time (which I doubt very much as you're always so busy!) have a look at Coursera. It's a website that has free courses on a pretty broad range of topics. If there's any specific field you're looking at going into you could do a course with them for a wee bit of experience. Wouldn't be the same as practical experience but would show you're a go - getter/ committed.

Good luck with matched betting! I was quite interested in it and made a good bit of profit, but then I needed the money. I didn't really have enough spare cash to keep as a float when I tried so gave up on it. It is something I would consider again if I had any spare money!
    Total Debt : ?? / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: ?? kg / 45kg
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 15th Jan 19, 8:19 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 1,889 Thanks
    SSDD23
    • 15th Jan 19, 8:19 AM
    • 15th Jan 19, 8:19 AM
    I cancelled mine as you had to pay for it
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Oh, really? I haven't even looked at it yet so didn't realise that!
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 15th Jan 19, 8:30 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 1,889 Thanks
    SSDD23
    That's a bit pants... It's such a vicious circle. Can't get a new job without experience, can't get experience without a new job Good idea getting OH involved in the challenge. It may be worth just putting yourself out there anyway, even for jobs you may not have the *exact* experience for. If you have any free time (which I doubt very much as you're always so busy!) have a look at Coursera. It's a website that has free courses on a pretty broad range of topics. If there's any specific field you're looking at going into you could do a course with them for a wee bit of experience. Wouldn't be the same as practical experience but would show you're a go - getter/ committed.

Good luck with matched betting! I was quite interested in it and made a good bit of profit, but then I needed the money. I didn't really have enough spare cash to keep as a float when I tried so gave up on it. It is something I would consider again if I had any spare money!
    Originally posted by lonelyrat
    I've seen one I want to apply for! If I do by some miracle get offered an interview it'll be tricky to arrange as I work by myself so have no one to cover me, but I'm sure I can sort something if it happens!

Thank you for the heads up on the courses

It took me a while to build up the float, my plan is to keep a little extra in each month, but anything other than that extra gets split between savings and an overpayment (or in the case of this month, a little extra spending money for my holiday)
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 16th Jan 19, 11:30 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 1,889 Thanks
    SSDD23

-Progress with matched betting (I have set aside a pot, and am not adding to that, I will just continue to use the funds I set aside and take out money for savings/over-payments when I can do so and still leave a little profit in the pot) I should end the week at least 」30 up, hopefully more depending on when money moves around
    -Finally get around to taking the 」3 in old 」1 coins into my bank to pay in
    -Reply to pension company confirming details of pension I am transferring in posting today
    -Try meditation tried a session on the Calm app yesterday, will try and squeeze in another today
    -Hunt down more change to put into the sealed pot - rummaged a few times and found extra change but still many more days in the week!x
    A productive start to the week so far!

I will be meeting my nan and great aunt for lunch today on my lunch break, my great aunt has not long got back from visiting my mum in Australia so it will be nice to see her.

Miserable weather today, it took a full hour to get to work which is the longest it has taken since I moved. I had a bad feeling before I left and just remembered randomly about my crash, and then as I got to the spot where it happened is where all of the standstill traffic had backed up to intuition is funny sometimes! It took me over half an hour to do less than 4 miles, I was still sat in standstill traffic at 7:40 about ten miles out of town so had accepted I wouldn't be at work for 8, but fortunately it got moving and my lane of the motorway that I expected to be congested was clear so I got here only 4/5 minutes late which I will count as a win!

Odd jobs I need to do but they can wait until tomorrow, I need to pay in my 」1 coins and post off a parcel on tomorrow's lunch hour. Fortunately I add a 1-2 day delay for posting so I always have a little bit of wiggle room
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 17th Jan 19, 2:20 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 1,889 Thanks
    SSDD23

-Progress with matched betting (I have set aside a pot, and am not adding to that, I will just continue to use the funds I set aside and take out money for savings/over-payments when I can do so and still leave a little profit in the pot) - Currently made 」34 since 10/01 and hoping to make another 」10 ish before the end of the week
    -Finally get around to taking the 」3 in old 」1 coins into my bank to pay in - Paid in today
    -Reply to pension company confirming details of pension I am transferring in - Posted yesterday
    -Try meditation - Done, and will continue to do
    -Hunt down more change to put into the sealed pot - Done and still ongoing
    All done with a day to spare!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Jan 19, 2:31 PM
    • 61,811 Posts
    • 264,900 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well done

***Keep plodding***
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 21st Jan 19, 9:42 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 1,889 Thanks
    SSDD23
    And another week has begun! The weekends go far too quickly. I had both my brothers and one girlfriend stay at our house on Saturday after they drove up and we all went for a few drinks, it was lovely to see them all and be able to host for them.

Goals for this week:

- At least 4 NSD's
    - Write a list of what I need to pack for holiday (I don't pack until the last minute but the list is there so it's quick to do and I don't miss anything!)
    - Keep the ball rolling with Matched Betting
    - Try a yoga workout (at home)
    - Chase up rewards for healthy eating panel I did (」5 survey credit & 」30 Amazon voucher)
    - Keep an eye out for Prolific Surveys and User Tests

It's bitterly cold at the moment. We all woke up on Sunday and it was -2 degrees at 10am, I realised later on when I boosted the heating it still hadn't warmed up so checked the boiler which was showing 0 pressure. Luckily, my uncle is an ex plumber and he talked me through what to do to get it up and running again! Very grateful for relatives in various trades

X
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 21st Jan 19, 11:50 AM
    • 1,977 Posts
    • 10,820 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    It's probably important to work out why the boiler lost pressure. We've been represurising our boiler for a few weeks as we'd taken a radiator off the wall and it was dripping into a bucket (not massively, but enough to require a refill occasionally
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 」400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 」34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100 Dec: 28/100
    MFW 2019 Challenge Member #59: 0/」2860
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 21st Jan 19, 12:22 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 1,889 Thanks
    SSDD23
    It's probably important to work out why the boiler lost pressure. We've been represurising our boiler for a few weeks as we'd taken a radiator off the wall and it was dripping into a bucket (not massively, but enough to require a refill occasionally
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    Ah okay, thank you for the advice. We are due to have a plumber come and look at one of our toilets anyway so I'll ask them if they can look at the boiler, too
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 21st Jan 19, 3:20 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 1,889 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Goals for this week:

- At least 4 NSD's
    - Write a list of what I need to pack for holiday (I don't pack until the last minute but the list is there so it's quick to do and I don't miss anything!)
    - Keep the ball rolling with Matched Betting
    - Try a yoga workout (at home)
    - Chase up rewards for healthy eating panel I did (」5 survey credit & 」30 Amazon voucher) - Done, I misunderstood and it is a 」35 Amazon voucher, which has now been paid
    - Keep an eye out for Prolific Surveys and User Tests

• SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 22nd Jan 19, 2:15 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 1,889 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Right, tomorrow morning I am calling up my doctors and making a same-day appointment for my foot.

I first went for an x-ray over a year ago, with the second one less than 6 months ago I believe. Since i last saw my foot guy, the pain has gotten worse to the point I now have to walk without trying to put any pressure on my toes as the pain is unreal, and even them twitching a little when I am sat down can be very painful. We've exchanged a few messages but I've heard nothing in a few days so I'm not entirely sure he's confident about what is happening with my foot anymore.

So I called the doctors, and the receptionist said I will be able to make a same-day appointment as I am in pain so it is urgent enough to warrant not waiting until the end of February (!!!) to have a booked-in appointment

I'm just tired of it all now, I'm 26 years old and have to limp along if i have to put weight on my toes or walk for more than about 10 minutes. I also can't do many forms of exercise so I'm tubbier than I would like to be for my holiday in less than 2 weeks. I could probably accept not being able to run on my foot but not being able to walk on it without severe pain is just not acceptable to me. So, fingers crossed, I go in there tomorrow and come out with a plan of action. It's too expensive to be paying 」32 a go for a sports injury session to still be in pain and no further along than I was 1 year ago.

I can wangle this as being an MSE post, as I don't intend to pay for any more appointments with the foot guy in the near future, I will just explain I am going via the doctors instead which I actually imagine I would end up doing at some point anyway

Ranty post, but feeling very down about it today due to not a lot of sleep, and a lot of pain! It doesn't help that nothing I can take seems to ease the pain off, either. So I'm just lumped with it at the moment!
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 22nd Jan 19, 2:54 PM
    • 7,645 Posts
    • 10,447 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Sorry to hear you are still in so much pain, and it sounds like it is getting worse. You are absolutely right to go to your doctor. The sports guy may be a decent bloke but he misdiagnosed your issue and his treatment has not helped and may have made things worse! I hope you get the appointment and have a proper plan of action soon!
    SPC 2019 #073

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 22nd Jan 19, 5:23 PM
    • 61,811 Posts
    • 264,900 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thats not good about the pain.
    Chronic pain is no fun
    Hope appointment at Dr goes well.

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

789Posts Today

6,037Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

• Today's FRIDAY twitter poll: Draconian & absurd new laws by May/Corbyn/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dicta? https://t.co/umCa8jP7LT

• Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• Follow Martin