Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stingray 316
    • By stingray 316 13th Jan 19, 7:27 PM
    • 327Posts
    • 8Thanks
    stingray 316
    CCTV in the home.
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:27 PM
    CCTV in the home. 13th Jan 19 at 7:27 PM
    Can someone give me some help and advise on CCTV camera for the home.
    I would like to put a cctv camera in my mumís home .
    I would like to get one that the family can see on there phones when we arenít visiting or around .
    My mum does not have the internet so l would like to know if there is any cctv cameras on the market that can do this without internet being used.
Page 1
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 13th Jan 19, 7:59 PM
    • 3,993 Posts
    • 2,131 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:59 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:59 PM
    you need a good/fast internet connection to view live

Last edited by ballyblack; 14-01-2019 at 9:57 AM.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 13th Jan 19, 9:50 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 1,255 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:50 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:50 PM
    You could get it on the mobile network if there's a decent signal by tethering it to a mobile phone, though this wouldn't be particularly fast or cheap.

The alternative is to add broadband onto your mum's phone line. BT Basic customers I think can get an all-in solution for under a tenner which gives 15G of usage a month.
    • arciere
    • By arciere 14th Jan 19, 9:56 AM
    • 652 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    arciere
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:56 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:56 AM
    If you are going down the broadband route, remember that with CCTV upload speed is much more important than download speed, that's why 99% of the time ADSL is not suitable (in the best scenarios you get less than 1 Mbps in upload).

10 Mbps upload speed would be the safest minimum (in BT terms, this is covered by the 'Infinity' VDSL package), but if you expect HD quality, you might need 20.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 14th Jan 19, 10:09 AM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 1,255 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 14th Jan 19, 10:09 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 10:09 AM
    Majority of cameras offer two streams for live viewing, one for HD or good quality and one of a lower resolution that would work on slower internet. Yes it would probably look like mush and occasionally skip a shed load of frames but just for checking in on occasion it should be fine.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 14th Jan 19, 11:10 AM
    • 4,538 Posts
    • 1,668 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 14th Jan 19, 11:10 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 11:10 AM
    You would need to have a data connection to be able to stream the output on your phones.

You could mobile data but this may cost more than a cheap basic broadband connection, with the more recent cameras deploying H265+ compression bandwidth of 2mpbs is more than capable of streaming at HD quality.
    • arciere
    • By arciere 14th Jan 19, 11:22 AM
    • 652 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    arciere
    • 14th Jan 19, 11:22 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 11:22 AM
    You would need to have a data connection to be able to stream the output on your phones.

You could mobile data but this may cost more than a cheap basic broadband connection, with the more recent cameras deploying H265+ compression bandwidth of 2mpbs is more than capable of streaming at HD quality.
    Originally posted by bengalknights
    That's still more than double the maximum upload speed on a basic ADSL connection.

In my experience, ADSL is never suitable (unless you are happy with 360p or less resolution).
    Fibre with 10Mbps is the minimum, if you can get a real-world speed of 6-7 Mbps.
    • stingray 316
    • By stingray 316 14th Jan 19, 9:50 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    stingray 316
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:50 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:50 PM
    That's still more than double the maximum upload speed on a basic ADSL connection.

In my experience, ADSL is never suitable (unless you are happy with 360p or less resolution).
    Fibre with 10Mbps is the minimum, if you can get a real-world speed of 6-7 Mbps.
    Originally posted by arciere
    l donít understand this jargon as lm not technical minded on cctvís.
    So can someone point out the cheapest cctv that will work at my mums house using the Internet that will work on mobile phones used in different places away from the house.
    Is there any thatís suitable in pc world , Argos , etc .
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 14th Jan 19, 10:01 PM
    • 8,948 Posts
    • 6,742 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 14th Jan 19, 10:01 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 10:01 PM
    l don’t understand this jargon as lm not technical minded on cctv’s.
    So can someone point out the cheapest cctv that will work at my mums house using the Internet that will work on mobile phones used in different places away from the house.
    Is there any that’s suitable in pc world , Argos , etc .
    Originally posted by stingray 316
    The CCTV has to have an internet connection at your mum's house so you and the family can view it remotely
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 14th Jan 19, 10:24 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 1,255 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    l donít understand this jargon as lm not technical minded on cctvís.
    Is there any thatís suitable in pc world , Argos , etc .
    All cameras will "work" at the house, you just connect them up to the base unit and then screw them to the wall. Getting them to work over the internet can be slightly more tricky but its not impossible but it can be as simple as plugging a network cable into the base and it sorts itself out.
    • stingray 316
    • By stingray 316 14th Jan 19, 11:56 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    stingray 316
    All cameras will "work" at the house, you just connect them up to the base unit and then screw them to the wall. Getting them to work over the internet can be slightly more tricky but its not impossible but it can be as simple as plugging a network cable into the base and it sorts itself out.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    so l connect from the internet hub to cctv camera .. what cable would l need for connecting..
    When this is done will it connect to a mobile phone .
    Any suggestions of cctv camera which will be ok for this thatís not to expensive..
    • arciere
    • By arciere 15th Jan 19, 9:26 AM
    • 652 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    arciere
    so l connect from the internet hub to cctv camera .. what cable would l need for connecting..
    When this is done will it connect to a mobile phone .
    Any suggestions of cctv camera which will be ok for this thatís not to expensive..
    Ok, it's not always that straight forward.
    It mainly depends on the camera, but generally speaking you connect the camera to the router (with a network cable) or wireless (you need to set up the connection following the manual).
    Then, the majority of home cameras have their own sowftware/app that you will need to download on your phone, enter some details (like the camera serial number and password), and sometimes also register an account with them.
    Now, what happens is that your camera connects to the manufacturer's servers somewhere in the world and, with your phone, you connect to their servers to see your own camera.
    It's not 100% secure, since your camera will be connected to someone else's servers, but it's the easiest way to set up.

The alternative would be to have your own DVR/NVR to record and then connect directly to that device, rather than going through the manufacturer's servers, but that's something that it's even more complicated if you are not familiar with all this.
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 15th Jan 19, 9:59 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    I recommend you take a look at Alfred. This turns a mobile phone in to a webcam, and can use the mobile network for data rather than you having to install broadband. It can be set up to only broadcast on demand, so shouldn't consume vast amounts of data (i.e. minimal amount in maintain mode, more when you are remotely viewing). Also has two-way chat, which may be useful in your scenario.

To implement - all you would need is a mobile phone (e.g. old or lower spec android phone), a power source (e.g. mobile charger and USB cable), and a SIM with data.

This is probably the easiest scenario to implement, but you would need to compare data costs for mobile versus wired: it _might_ be more cost effective to install / pay for broadband, and connect an IP camera OR a phone and this app via wifi.
    • stingray 316
    • By stingray 316 17th Jan 19, 4:09 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    stingray 316
    The last thread mentioned Alfred , l had a look and seen there is also a app similar callled manything that uses your phone as a viewer and the other as a camera.
    Anyone used any off these apps , l would like you thoughts on these if you have and which of the two would be best to use.
    Any good and bad points on the apps..
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 21st Jan 19, 3:18 PM
    • 3,072 Posts
    • 3,464 Thanks
    Stoke
    you need a good/fast internet connection to view live

Originally posted by ballyblack
    You really don't. The one I got from Amazon was about £30. Streamed 720p in very good colour and I was able to watch it from my HSDPA connection on my phone.
    • womble12345
    • By womble12345 21st Jan 19, 3:33 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    womble12345
    You really don't. The one I got from Amazon was about £30. Streamed 720p in very good colour and I was able to watch it from my HSDPA connection on my phone.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    I believe ballyblack meant upload speed at the location of the camera.
    • arciere
    • By arciere 21st Jan 19, 3:34 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    arciere
    HSDPA can reach up to 14 Mbps, which is still faster than an average ADSL connection.
    It also depends on WHAT you are streaming: motionless videos take much less bandwidth than videos with movement.
    EDIT: of course, as womble12345 has pointed out, what matters is upload speed at the location.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 21st Jan 19, 3:42 PM
    • 3,072 Posts
    • 3,464 Thanks
    Stoke
    HSDPA can reach up to 14 Mbps, which is still faster than an average ADSL connection.
    It also depends on WHAT you are streaming: motionless videos take much less bandwidth than videos with movement.
    EDIT: of course, as womble12345 has pointed out, what matters is upload speed at the location.
    It is indeed faster, but I reckon an ADSL connection could have handled it no problem.

If they were talking about upload speed? That's a different story and yes, you need a decent upload speed. Forget what mine is, but I'm on fibre anyway.
    • arciere
    • By arciere 21st Jan 19, 3:52 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    arciere
    It is indeed faster, but I reckon an ADSL connection could have handled it no problem.

If they were talking about upload speed? That's a different story and yes, you need a decent upload speed. Forget what mine is, but I'm on fibre anyway.
    Yes, the issue is that OP doesn't have any internet connection at the moment, it was pointed out that video streaming requires a lot of bandwidth, something that a simple ADSL connection almost never has (upload speed)
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 21st Jan 19, 3:58 PM
    • 3,072 Posts
    • 3,464 Thanks
    Stoke
    Yes, the issue is that OP doesn't have any internet connection at the moment, it was pointed out that video streaming requires a lot of bandwidth, something that a simple ADSL connection almost never has (upload speed)
    I seem to think I used to get about 2MB on ADSL. This was back when I used to do ShoutCast stuff.

Good times..... Feels a long time ago now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,044Posts Today

4,943Users online

Martin's Twitter