Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Blackbird183
    • By Blackbird183 13th Jan 19, 6:12 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Blackbird183
    Buying a new build, new job. How does it work
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:12 PM
    Buying a new build, new job. How does it work 13th Jan 19 at 6:12 PM
    Hi, forgive me for seeming naive but I am trying to work out the most logical next step.

We are home owners who looking to relocate to a new part of the country, this will require new jobs as it will be far too far to commute on a daily basis. We are interesting in a new build that is is bigger than our current property but the estimated completion date is June/July (Iím aware this could slip as the plots are not yet available for reservation and in the early stage of building.

Iím struggling to get my head around the timescales -
    We need to sell our current property - the new build would require exchange in 28 days -so we canít reserve the new build without an offer on our property.
    I need to give 3 months notice in my current job role - finding a new role should be unproblematic as I work in healthcare and there are several jobs advertised in the immediate local area, and a fair few more if I expand the search area for a slightly longer commute.

My concern is what are the options If our buyers (once we find them!) wonít wait until our completion date? Should we consider splitting the chain?
    When should I start applying for a new job?

Any advice would be welcome!
Page 1
    • Sibz
    • By Sibz 13th Jan 19, 6:26 PM
    • 304 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    Sibz
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:26 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:26 PM
    Unfortunately there's no straight answer.

Too many things are outwith your control in the house selling and buying part - let a lone with the job applications part tied in too.

How long will you take to find a proceed-able buyer for your property? etc... part of these things are always going to be a bit of a gamble unless you can afford to be very patient - but you seem like your time-limited by the dates of the new build development...
    • Blackbird183
    • By Blackbird183 13th Jan 19, 6:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Blackbird183
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:43 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:43 PM
    Yes I think that’s what I’m struggling to wrap my head around. Fortunately the market seems pretty strong where we are and houses are selling fairly swiftly
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 13th Jan 19, 6:57 PM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 4,546 Thanks
    oystercatcher
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:57 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:57 PM
    I know of a couple of families who have sold up and gone into rented accommodation prior to buying a new build. This might also be useful if new build fails to be completed in the timescale expected.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,603Posts Today

7,974Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • PLS SHARE - WARNING DO NOT USE VIAGOGO. A group of MPs have today echo'd my own warning about the secondary tick? https://t.co/ZUvKRq3MeS

• RT @MartinSLewis: I've had a few messages from people concerned that they've bought tickets from Viagogo and they heard my cautionary warni?

• Early days but it seems I'm in the 1 in 20 who don't listen to music. Funny people react with such shock at not? https://t.co/xrU3aaRF9J

• Follow Martin