Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 13th Jan 19, 5:33 PM
    • 2,923Posts
    • 480Thanks
    stphnstevey
    Cheapest and easiest TV for elderly
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:33 PM
    Cheapest and easiest TV for elderly 13th Jan 19 at 5:33 PM
    My pensioner mum has had Sky TV for about the last 10 years.

We looked at what TV channels she watched and they were all the freesat ones, so we were hoping to use the box without a subscription

The installer installed it so the satellite dish is over one side of the house, the cable goes up over the ridge of the roof and down the wall the other side an through the wall into the house. Over time the cable has stopped working to the point there is no signal

We looked to see if Sky would come to fix, but online help says that the equipment is out of 12 month warranty and they would charge 65 just for an engineer to look at it

We have recently cancelled the Sky TV (as well as broadband and phone line) as it was getting expensive with Sky at around 50/m, despite phoning for deals regularly

She is having Virgin internet and phone installed at 30/m (going from about 1mb to 100mb)

She lives quite far from me and I am not able really able to go to the house to help her

The aerial at her house is not working and Freeview is not possible

I hope to enquire with Virgin to see if they would do the basic TV for her, online this come out as 40/m

We looked at NowTV, but I am unclear if she didnt pay a subscription, what channels you can get? Is it like a Freeview box in anyway?

Any other alternatives would be gratefully received!
Page 1
    • Walcott
    • By Walcott 13th Jan 19, 6:52 PM
    • 862 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    Walcott
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:52 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:52 PM
    The player bundle is 32 -

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bundles/player-bundle.html?buspart=uk_ps_a_cable_purchase_GOOGLE_ Brand_Bundles_Player_Exact_Brand_Player_Bundle_Exa ct_player+bundle+virgin&CMP=DFA&medium=PPC&ds_rl=1 068142&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzc-4mbbr3wIV4bztCh3nvwODEAAYASAAEgLHlPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw .ds

But you would need to renegoiate after the offer ends.
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 15th Jan 19, 8:18 AM
    • 958 Posts
    • 432 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    • 15th Jan 19, 8:18 AM
    • 15th Jan 19, 8:18 AM
    The Now TV box has access to the other players, but not aware of it having tv channels. To get TV channels, you'll either need the aerial repairing for freeview, the dish fixing for freesat, or the TV through Virgin cable network (although you might still need an aerial - not sure). Depends what she watches - if she's happy with watching catch up or box sets through a player, the VM broadband would be fine for using a Now TV box for the main providers. You don't need a Now TV subscription except to watch the Now TV content.
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 15th Jan 19, 8:34 AM
    • 2,923 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    • 15th Jan 19, 8:34 AM
    • 15th Jan 19, 8:34 AM
    The Now TV box has access to the other players, but not aware of it having tv channels. To get TV channels, you'll either need the aerial repairing for freeview, the dish fixing for freesat, or the TV through Virgin cable network (although you might still need an aerial - not sure). Depends what she watches - if she's happy with watching catch up or box sets through a player, the VM broadband would be fine for using a Now TV box for the main providers. You don't need a Now TV subscription except to watch the Now TV content.
    Originally posted by Bigphil1474
    Thanks, yes it seems you can get a Now TV box that has Freeview built in, but it needs the aerial
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 15th Jan 19, 8:47 AM
    • 3,716 Posts
    • 6,403 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 15th Jan 19, 8:47 AM
    • 15th Jan 19, 8:47 AM
    Am I missing something here?

Surely the simplest (and cheapest) option would be to get a TV aerial installed?

If you don't find joy in the snow,
    remember you'll have less joy in your life

...but still have the same amount of snow!
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 15th Jan 19, 8:59 AM
    • 2,923 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    • 15th Jan 19, 8:59 AM
    • 15th Jan 19, 8:59 AM
    Am I missing something here?

Surely the simplest (and cheapest) option would be to get a TV aerial installed?
    Originally posted by martinthebandit
    How much would that cost?
    I am pretty sure it does have one, but it was before the signals all changed and maybe is not pointed in the right direction. I am too far away to do it myself
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 15th Jan 19, 9:05 AM
    • 11,247 Posts
    • 12,053 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 15th Jan 19, 9:05 AM
    • 15th Jan 19, 9:05 AM
    There are various Now TV "boxes" which provide different facilities.

- There is a Now TV box that adds Freeview, and this requires an aerial to support this.

- Other boxes and Now TV sticks provide the Sky channel bundle as live channels when there is a relevant subscription in place. These channels are delivered via the Internet.

- Without a subscription, they provide the free-to-view channels' catch-up players: BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All4, My5, UKTV Player. Also Youtube. They also support Netflix (with subscription). Of these options, there are live channels on ITV Hub and Youtube (news channels) that are delivered via Internet.

As a general rule, VM is consistently at the upper end of cost options for Phone, BB and TV packages, when compared like-for-like with other options. There can also be a built-in disincentive to move because of dedicated infrastructure. However, reading between the lines of the OP's post, it seems like there may be a need for a supported, maintained service from the provider, in which case VM can provide this.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 15-01-2019 at 9:13 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Jan 19, 9:08 AM
    • 18,098 Posts
    • 46,145 Thanks
    elsien
    • 15th Jan 19, 9:08 AM
    • 15th Jan 19, 9:08 AM
    https://www.freeview.co.uk/support/before-you-buy/reception-aerials-and-coverage/how-much-should-a-new-roof-aerial-cost.html#APX7cTieUBR5OvjO.97

Cheaper local options are probably available. But if the aerial is fine and just needs pointing elsewhere and retuning, then less than that. But they'd need to go up to have a look to find out, and to see whether a signal booster is required.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 15th Jan 19, 9:21 AM
    • 2,923 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    • 15th Jan 19, 9:21 AM
    • 15th Jan 19, 9:21 AM
    https://www.freeview.co.uk/support/before-you-buy/reception-aerials-and-coverage/how-much-should-a-new-roof-aerial-cost.html#APX7cTieUBR5OvjO.97

Cheaper local options are probably available. But if the aerial is fine and just needs pointing elsewhere and retuning, then less than that. But they'd need to go up to have a look to find out, and to see whether a signal booster is required.
    Originally posted by elsien
    Think it might be in the loft, so maybe could be done by another family member
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 15th Jan 19, 9:22 AM
    • 2,923 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    There are various Now TV "boxes" which provide different facilities.

- There is a Now TV box that adds Freeview, and this requires an aerial to support this.

- Other boxes and Now TV sticks provide the Sky channel bundle as live channels when there is a relevant subscription in place. These channels are delivered via the Internet.

- Without a subscription, they provide the free-to-view channels' catch-up players: BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All4, My5, UKTV Player. Also Youtube. They also support Netflix (with subscription). Of these options, there are live channels on ITV Hub and Youtube (news channels) that are delivered via Internet.

As a general rule, VM is consistently at the upper end of cost options for Phone, BB and TV packages, when compared like-for-like with other options. There can also be a built-in disincentive to move because of dedicated infrastructure. However, reading between the lines of the OP's post, it seems like there may be a need for a supported, maintained service from the provider, in which case VM can provide this.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Thats a great summary of Now TV, thanks, couldn't find similar on website or at least couldn't understand exactly
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 15th Jan 19, 9:26 AM
    • 11,247 Posts
    • 12,053 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Thats a great summary of Now TV, thanks, couldn't find similar on website or at least couldn't understand exactly
    Originally posted by stphnstevey
    No problem.

Now TV's website isn't great (technically, it's over-designed with too little thought given to what customers and potential customers are actually looking for).

The only other thing is that Now TV is in the cheap basket of Internet-based TV services, along with Netflix & Amazon. The Entertainment bundle is 7.99 per month, with offers regularly available taking it down to 4pm, or less; Cinema is 9.99pm, and also has 4pm offers available from time-to-time.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 15-01-2019 at 9:31 AM.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 15th Jan 19, 9:32 AM
    • 5,317 Posts
    • 2,359 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Wouldn't the cheapest option be, to get an independent satellite fitter to renew the cable (just run a new cable round the walls rather than over the roof.)
    • macman
    • By macman 15th Jan 19, 9:43 AM
    • 42,860 Posts
    • 18,096 Thanks
    macman
    As above. Then she can get all the Freesat from Sky channels (not Freesat) using the existing Sky box.
    No need for an aerial.
    PS: if you had asked Sky to do the repair before cancelling the sub, they would have done so without a call-out fee. You just say that you 'can't afford the call out fee so please cancel the sub.' Hey presto, a free call out will then be offered..
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 15th Jan 19, 10:01 AM
    • 11,247 Posts
    • 12,053 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    The only downside of Freesat from Sky being lack of recording capability - which may or may not be an issue for the OP.

• Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Jan 19, 10:21 AM
    • 3,368 Posts
    • 1,787 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    How much would that cost?
    I am pretty sure it does have one, but it was before the signals all changed and maybe is not pointed in the right direction. I am too far away to do it myself
    Originally posted by stphnstevey
    Presuming the aerial hasn't been moved then it's highly likely it will still be pointed in the right direction (if it was in the first place of course).

If they've got an aerial lead plugged in then tell them to plug it out and use the TV's settings to scan for all channels, this will clear the stored channels. Then plug it back in and scan again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,382Posts Today

8,061Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin