Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doddsy799
    • By doddsy799 13th Jan 19, 5:30 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    doddsy799
    Advice required please
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:30 PM
    Advice required please 13th Jan 19 at 5:30 PM
    Hi, please can someone iron out if the following if visable, or even possible.

I am looking to buy a house with my partner, I have my mortgage paid off in full.

My partner on the other hand only has around 10K equity in her property .

The last thing I want, is another bloody mortgage to pay every month, it's taken me a lot of hard work to free myself from this one.

Is there any way we could buy a house for example, around 200,000, whereby I put forward a 100,000 cash from the sale of my property, and she aquires a mortgage for her half? If so what is this mortgage or property arrangement called?

Any advice appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Bren.
Page 1
    • Bossypants
    • By Bossypants 13th Jan 19, 5:50 PM
    • 850 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    Bossypants
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:50 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:50 PM
    You'd probably struggle to find a lender who would accept to have you on the property deeds but not the mortgage. You could simply agree with her that, although you will both be on the mortgage, she will pay it herself while you split the other property bills, and have paperwork drawn up to reflect that situation (i.e. that you fully own 50%, she owns whatever is left after the mortgage is paid).

Edit: You will still be legally liable for the mortgage if she is unable to pay for some reason, of course.
    • chunkytfg
    • By chunkytfg 13th Jan 19, 5:52 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    chunkytfg
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:52 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:52 PM
    You call then your partner but don't want to share a partnership with them?

Sounds to me like you're not really looking to commit to this relationship and are already checking the escape route is clear before you take the step forward
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 0/500
    • doddsy799
    • By doddsy799 14th Jan 19, 8:35 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    doddsy799
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:35 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:35 AM
    @Bossypants - yea that would be cool with me, and is sort of what I had in my head, I don't for one minute think she would ever default so I'd have no problem rolling with that. It was more the legal entity of it I was confused about - I'm not trying to have anyone's pants down here, but we're not married and it's a huge sum to risk without having at least some form of protection., It's not like it's a 50/50 investment right off the bat.

@chunkytfg - not looking to commit but willing to put 100,000 cash into a none marriage relationship, when the other party has very little? With the possibility of losing the lot IF anything were to happen? I.m.o anyone that didn't make safety provisions in this day and age would be as intellectually devoid as yourself. Clearly what you lack in intelligence you make up for in stupidity.:
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 14th Jan 19, 8:53 AM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 2,657 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:53 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 8:53 AM
    Hi, please can someone iron out if the following if viable, or even possible.
    I am looking to buy a house with my partner, I have my mortgage paid off in full.
    My partner on the other hand only has around 10K equity in her property .
    The last thing I want, is another bloody mortgage to pay every month, it's taken me a lot of hard work to free myself from this one.
    Is there any way we could buy a house for example, around 200,000, whereby I put forward a 100,000 cash from the sale of my property, and she acquires a mortgage for her half? If so what is this mortgage or property arrangement called?
    Any advice appreciated,Thanks,Bren.
    Originally posted by doddsy799
    Yes it's very common, you would buy the property with a joint mortgage as tenants in common with a separate deed of trust.
    The DOT would set out that you paid 100k up front and that partner is to pay all the mortgage payment then something like this:

'On the sale of the property and after paying the sale costs and redeeming the mortgage the proceeds of sale shall be split as follows:
    Party A 50% of the gross sale price less costs of sale
    Party B The remainder'

There are lots of other clauses you could add in if you wanted to, how bills are split, what if partner cannot keep mortgage up, what if property sells at a loss etc.
    • doddsy799
    • By doddsy799 14th Jan 19, 12:16 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    doddsy799
    • 14th Jan 19, 12:16 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 12:16 PM
    @tom99 - thank you, you have hit the nail on the head, thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,193Posts Today

6,938Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It isn't statistically representative true. But to say that tells us nothing isn't correct. It shows what people i? https://t.co/JBLu6Cd8a5

• Very interesting that on my Facebook page (which tends to be more pro Brexit) the same vote, with similar number of? https://t.co/NgYxaQDCnr

• Morning. I'm on my way to @GMB for my 7:40 deals of the week. This week incl how to beat the stamp price hike, a fr? https://t.co/DYJoF6NzKV

• Follow Martin