Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • boots_babe
    • By boots_babe 13th Jan 19, 4:57 PM
    • 2,898Posts
    • 1,381Thanks
    boots_babe
    Buzzing after new light fitting
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:57 PM
    Buzzing after new light fitting 13th Jan 19 at 4:57 PM
    Hi,

We have 2 sets of 4 spotlights in our living room, on a dimmer. For a long while now the one set of 4 has just not worked, and we have finally gotten around to buying replacement light fittings.

We have bought 2 of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A9VWD2S/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

It says they are dimmer compatible so we thought they would be OK. We've fitted one of them but when you turn it on, although it now works (hooray) there is a reasonably strong buzzing coming from the light fitting.

Researching online, we saw that it could be that our dimmer switch isn't compatible with LED. So we bought a new LED compatible dimmer and fitted that - still buzzing.

So, at this point I would like to just get an electrician in to sort it out. But my husband would rather send back the light fittings we have, and buy different ones.

I don't want to do that as we might still be in the same boat! As a compromise I suggested posting on here, to see if anyone more knowledgeable than us, had any suggestions.

Is there anything we should check?

Many thanks.

Page 1
    • phill99
    • By phill99 13th Jan 19, 5:28 PM
    • 8,363 Posts
    • 7,551 Thanks
    phill99
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:28 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:28 PM
    Get an electrician in. You could fit 200 different light fittings and still have the same problem.

Get someone in that knows what they are doing. Respectfully, your husband doesn't.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • boots_babe
    • By boots_babe 13th Jan 19, 5:57 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    boots_babe
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:57 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:57 PM
    Yes I completely agree with everything you say!

This is what I want to do, but as I say, husband is keen to see if there's anything else we can check ourselves first. Hence my post.

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 13th Jan 19, 11:37 PM
    • 3,395 Posts
    • 2,005 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:37 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:37 PM
    The buzzing is still likely to be an incompatibility with the LEDs and the dimmer. Are you certain it’s compatible?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

650Posts Today

6,072Users online

Martin's Twitter