Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pjh
    • By pjh 13th Jan 19, 4:18 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 3Thanks
    pjh
    Cancelling Direct Debit on Joint Account
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:18 PM
    Cancelling Direct Debit on Joint Account 13th Jan 19 at 4:18 PM
    A friend has been presented with a situation and needs some guidance.

She has a joint account with her partner into which both their salaries were paid. Her partner set up a direct debit to a saving account on a single signatory basis (he did not tell her, she did not sign anything). I understand she does not have access to the target savings account.

Her partner is now in prison and not bringing in an income. She needs to stop the direct debit to the saving account as this is effectively siphoning off her salary. Can she do so without his agreement?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 13th Jan 19, 4:25 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:25 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:25 PM
    Firstly, it's likely it's a standing order rather than a direct debit.

But to answer your question, joint accounts usually grant full access and control to either party aside from some very specific scenarios (adding or removing parties, and overdrafts, usually). So yes, she should have the ability to cancel any standing orders or direct debits without his permission.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 13th Jan 19, 4:33 PM
    • 25,458 Posts
    • 12,682 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:33 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:33 PM
    Whether it is a standing order or direct debit - if the account operates on one signature then yes you can cancel it.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 13th Jan 19, 5:12 PM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 4,581 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:12 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:12 PM
    If they do online banking they should be able to see/cancel the DD or SO whichever type of payment even though it was set up by their OH.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 13th Jan 19, 7:51 PM
    • 9,053 Posts
    • 10,469 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:51 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:51 PM
    A friend has been presented with a situation and needs some guidance.

She has a joint account with her partner into which both their salaries were paid. Her partner set up a direct debit to a saving account on a single signatory basis (he did not tell her, she did not sign anything). I understand she does not have access to the target savings account.

Her partner is now in prison and not bringing in an income. She needs to stop the direct debit to the saving account as this is effectively siphoning off her salary. Can she do so without his agreement?
    Originally posted by pjh
    Over and above the advice given in previous posts, I'd humbly suggest to your friend that she gets her own separate bank account and has her salary paid into that instead, even if she chooses to contributes to the joint account from there by standing order.

While not making any moral judgement about her partner being imprisoned, the fact that he surreptitiously set up a debit to a sole account that she has no access to rings some pretty loud alarm bells, so a bit of protection of her own interests would probably be in order, although obviously only she knows how provocative that would be seen as....
    • pjh
    • By pjh 13th Jan 19, 7:59 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    pjh
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:59 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:59 PM
    Thanks all. Apologies for the rookie DD/SO confusion. We’ll pass all the messages and are hoping that she’ll see the sense of things like setting up her own account. She’s trying to navigate a whole world on confusion at the moment.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 13th Jan 19, 11:25 PM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 1,787 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:25 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:25 PM
    Login to the online banking portal and just cancel it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,631Posts Today

9,313Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Perhaps the only thing we truly learn from this poll is we are generally optimistic. Most Brexiteers think Brexit w? https://t.co/DoosVRvneE

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ??Join the UK's biggest consumer website ??Make a difference ??Work with brilliant journalists ??Collaborate with top b?

• Today's Twitter poll: Do you believe the UK will leave the European Union in 2019? PS. Twitter/my following tends? https://t.co/U3DknxaJOG

• Follow Martin