Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Unky Al
    • By Unky Al 13th Jan 19, 4:17 PM
    • 63Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Unky Al
    Apprentiships - What next
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:17 PM
    Apprentiships - What next 13th Jan 19 at 4:17 PM
    Afternoon all,

Posting on behalf of a friend who is currently on a 12hrs shift so forgive me if the question is a little vauge.

Her son has recently completed an apprentiship as a mechanic at a local garage, i think he passed all of his exams around 6 months ago.

Since then the garage has been paying him £50 a day so he assumed he was put on the payroll and was classed as an employee. He recently asked why he wasn't receiving a pay slip and the owner told him he doesn't get one as he's self employed, this was news to him an has got him worried as he assumed that the £50 was net of tax/NI so naturally he's now worried about owing the taxman.

If it is the case and he should be self employed the £50 would work out to less than the hourly minimum wage, what should his next course of action be? Should he register as self employeed and contact HMRC to explain the situation and that he needs to arange to pay what he owes. Also as the owner states that he should be self employed should my friends son inform the owner to expect and invoice off him so he can pay a more reasonable hourly wage that his qualifications would command?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Page 1
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 13th Jan 19, 4:31 PM
    • 6,926 Posts
    • 5,456 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:31 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:31 PM
    He recently asked why he wasn't receiving a pay slip and the owner told him he doesn't get one as he's self employed
    Originally posted by Unky Al
    He may not be entitled top NMW if he's self-employed however the question needs to be asked if he is genuinely S.E.

I suspect he is an employee so he needs to establish his status first.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-employment-status-for-tax/setup
    https://www.gov.uk/employment-status/employee
    Last edited by ohreally; 13-01-2019 at 4:37 PM. Reason: Link
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
    • Unky Al
    • By Unky Al 13th Jan 19, 4:55 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Unky Al
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:55 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:55 PM
    Thanks, I'll pass the links on. He's not sure if he is an employee after his boss (garage owner) told him that he should have registered as self employed after passing his exams.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 13th Jan 19, 7:08 PM
    • 39,578 Posts
    • 36,724 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:08 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:08 PM
    In his position, I'd be looking around for a fully qualified position.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 1st Mar 19, 3:27 PM
    • 6,926 Posts
    • 5,456 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 1st Mar 19, 3:27 PM
    • 1st Mar 19, 3:27 PM
    Is there an update?
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,812Posts Today

7,771Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • PLS SHARE - WARNING DO NOT USE VIAGOGO. A group of MPs have today echo'd my own warning about the secondary tick? https://t.co/ZUvKRq3MeS

• RT @MartinSLewis: I've had a few messages from people concerned that they've bought tickets from Viagogo and they heard my cautionary warni?

• Early days but it seems I'm in the 1 in 20 who don't listen to music. Funny people react with such shock at not? https://t.co/xrU3aaRF9J

• Follow Martin