Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EvilScotsman12
    • By EvilScotsman12 13th Jan 19, 3:54 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    EvilScotsman12
    Good Cheapish Bathroom Suite Installer/Supplier near Livingston
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:54 PM
    Good Cheapish Bathroom Suite Installer/Supplier near Livingston 13th Jan 19 at 3:54 PM
    Looking for some help with regards to getting a new Bathroom installed for my first house I've just bought. I'm needing recommendations of Bathroom Showrooms/ Builders Merchants/ Installers in Livingston or near it (happy to go to Edinburgh or head westwards if there are good ones out that direction).

I've got a budget of rough £3000 for doing the full bathroom from scrap (gutting the current one there and getting it done again). Suite wise I'm looking for full one with an L-Shaped bath with shower screen, vanity style toilet and vanity style sink with a good quality Thermostatic Shower (or Power Shower if possible). There is also a clock-room style toilet room in the house that needs done so if I could get it inside the £3000 budget as well that would be great but can add an extra £500 on top if required.

Fittings wise I'd be keeping it pretty simple with wet wall for the required areas, a good sized toilet radiator with smart thermostatic meters on it, extractor fan, vinyl for the flooring and waterproof paint for the rest of the room.

I'll be taking ownership of the property come the end of February (hopefully) but not moving in till the end of March as I want the house empty to get some other work done plus the bathroom (new carpets, decorating and other bits and bobs).

From speaking to others in person about this, the two paths of thought I have been given is either ordering the suite myself from a place like Victoria Plumb or other online/ outlet supplier and getting a plumber to install it for me or going to a showroom that can do the fitting as well and all the correct measurements. I'd prefer the second option as it means that should something not fit right or get damaged, it is down to the suppliers/fitter to fix the issue rather than myself.

I look forward to your recommendations and thank you in advance for them
Page 1
    • andyhop
    • By andyhop 13th Jan 19, 7:29 PM
    • 1,923 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    andyhop
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:29 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:29 PM
    As someone who does this as his trade and works in this area. The budget isn’t sufficient to get anything of reasonable quality fitted. Expect quotes to be double your budget
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
    • EvilScotsman12
    • By EvilScotsman12 13th Jan 19, 10:43 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    EvilScotsman12
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:43 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:43 PM
    As someone who does this as his trade and works in this area. The budget isn’t sufficient to get anything of reasonable quality fitted. Expect quotes to be double your budget
    Originally posted by andyhop

I'm not sure what you mean here. Why would I need to double my budget just to get a pretty bog standard bathroom fitted? Going by what I can find in terms of a full bathroom suites online, what looks to be a standard suite of L-shaped bath, vanity sink, vanity toilet, thermostatic shower, taps and radiator come in at around a grand from what appear to be pretty decent quality units.

Labour I can understand might be heavier in cost depending who I choose but I wouldn't think it would spike that high.

I'm ultimately looking for something that is servicable with little frills given it is a starter home.
    • LoveOurPlanet
    • By LoveOurPlanet 14th Jan 19, 10:23 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    LoveOurPlanet
    • 14th Jan 19, 10:23 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 10:23 AM
    Posts like these worry me but I'm glad you've sought advise on MSE. This might not be a major concern for you but I think it should be. If you go with a "cheapish" plumber or tradesman to complete this job then they're going to cut corners to increase their margin.

Reputable tradesmen set those prices because it covers labour, equipment, products and costs to dispose of your old bathroom safely and responsibly.

Cutting corners could include dumping your old bathroom suite on someone else's land, which that innocent person will then have to pay to clear or it will get dumped on public property and your tax money will have to pay to clear it up rather than going to things that it should.

You might think your saving money in the short term but it will end up costing you in the long run, either because that person wasn't experienced enough to complete the job and you'll have to pay more to fix it or you'll get hit with a massive fine because your bathroom suite was illegally dumped and was traced back to you.

If they don't have a waste disposal plan, then they're not reliable and shouldn't be used.
  • archived user
    • 14th Jan 19, 2:24 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 2:24 PM
    I'm not sure what you mean here. Why would I need to double my budget just to get a pretty bog standard bathroom fitted? Going by what I can find in terms of a full bathroom suites online, what looks to be a standard suite of L-shaped bath, vanity sink, vanity toilet, thermostatic shower, taps and radiator come in at around a grand from what appear to be pretty decent quality units.

Labour I can understand might be heavier in cost depending who I choose but I wouldn't think it would spike that high.

I'm ultimately looking for something that is servicable with little frills given it is a starter home.
    Originally posted by EvilScotsman12
    Get some quotes and you'll see why you have been given this advice - the closer you get to edinburgh, the more you are going to pay so if you can I'd be looking for someone in the local area, maybe around bathgate way too (anywhere the houses are cheap) but you'll need to do a bit of diligence in selecting the tradesmen to do it, ask them if you can see jobs on site etc
    • EvilScotsman12
    • By EvilScotsman12 14th Jan 19, 7:14 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    EvilScotsman12
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:14 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:14 PM
    Thanks for those that have replied so far. I think I should re-phrase my question/title for this post as unfortunately the advise offered so far is stuff I'm already clued up on.

Can anyone recommend Bathroom Showroom, suppliers, merchants to check out in the Livingston and surrounding area as I'm new to the area and would like recommendations. I'm happy to travel a bit further west if there are options that way.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,036Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • PLS SHARE - WARNING DO NOT USE VIAGOGO. A group of MPs have today echo'd my own warning about the secondary tick? https://t.co/ZUvKRq3MeS

• RT @MartinSLewis: I've had a few messages from people concerned that they've bought tickets from Viagogo and they heard my cautionary warni?

• Early days but it seems I'm in the 1 in 20 who don't listen to music. Funny people react with such shock at not? https://t.co/xrU3aaRF9J

• Follow Martin