Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • OmegaA
    • By OmegaA 13th Jan 19, 3:05 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    OmegaA
    Cap duel fuel tariff - how to get it for a new customer?
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:05 PM
    Cap duel fuel tariff - how to get it for a new customer? 13th Jan 19 at 3:05 PM
    My current payments are 70.15/month for gas with Better Energy and 36.83/month with Estroga for electricity. I live in a 3-bedroom terrace house built 2005, 2 adults and a child, SSE supply area
    I suspect going for a cap tariff might be cheaper for me - it works out I pay now about 1284/year, but OfGem capped at about 1137 per year for a typical dual fuel customer paying by direct debit.
    How could I get my tariff capped? And how can I check it will be beneficial for me?
    Thank you
Page 1
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 13th Jan 19, 3:14 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    wavelets
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:14 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:14 PM
    My current payments are 70.15/month for gas with Better Energy and 36.83/month with Estroga for electricity. I live in a 3-bedroom terrace house built 2005, 2 adults and a child, SSE supply area
    I suspect going for a cap tariff might be cheaper for me - it works out I pay now about 1284/year, but OfGem capped at about 1137 per year for a typical dual fuel customer paying by direct debit.
    How could I get my tariff capped? And how can I check it will be beneficial for me?
    Thank you
    Originally posted by OmegaA
    Welcome back to MSE

Consult any comparsion site.

Remember that the Ofgem cap only applies to the suppliers default variable tariff, which is often their most expensive.

Any comparison site will indicate just how much more expensive it will be for your usage & supply region.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 13th Jan 19, 3:26 PM
    • 4,310 Posts
    • 2,734 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:26 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:26 PM
    Your costs are not capped.

The tariff might be, insofa as there is a mximum cost per kwh and a maximum cost for the standing charge but you still have to pay for what you use.

The so-called cap only affects the suppliers Standard or default tariffs and not any other fixed, or special tariffs that they maight offer

If you use more than average then you'll pay more than average.

There are two ways to save money, use less energy and/or find a cheaper tariff.

You need to input your consumption (not costs) into a comparison site to see how much your energy might cost you - beware of just looking at the headline savings unless you really understand what they mean.

Do not confuse your direct debit amount with your cost. The DD is what you pay towards your energy bill, it's the amount you use times the cost per kwh that determines what it costs and what you have to actually pay.
    Last edited by matelodave; 13-01-2019 at 3:30 PM.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

414Posts Today

4,512Users online

Martin's Twitter