Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dave_long
    • By dave_long 13th Jan 19, 2:47 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    dave_long
    Network Repeater for the home advice.
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:47 PM
    Network Repeater for the home advice. 13th Jan 19 at 2:47 PM
    Hi,

I have signed up to a 36mbyte fibre broadband (and phone package).

The router/hub is to be upstairs and i have a smart tv downstairs.

To this point in time I have run RJ45 from the router to the tv, that I now wish to deal with wirelessly.

I am looking at buying either a NETGEAR 11AC 1200 Mbps (300 Mbps + 900 Mbps) Dual Band Wi-Fi Range Extender with External Antennas (Wi-Fi Booster) (EX6120-100UKS) at £35

or

NETGEAR N300 MBPS Universal Wi-Fi Booster and Range Extender with External Antennas for Boosted Internet and Network Coverage (EX2700-100UKS) Silver at £17.

The router hub supports 802.11ac Wave 2. The AC2200 rating gives a theoretical throughput of 1733Mbps on the 5GHz band and 217Mbps on the 2.4GHz band.

Given that I only really want to use this repeater for the television, I will use rj45 between repeater and tv (no spare usb slots). Is there any benefit to me by buying the more expensive repeater.

The smart tv is only used for bbbciplayer such apps and never for netflix / amazon film type applications.

Many thanks in advance for any guidance.
Page 1
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 13th Jan 19, 3:11 PM
    • 8,844 Posts
    • 6,654 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:11 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:11 PM
    Why ? You will get better speeds using ethernet anyway
    Still grumpy
    • dave_long
    • By dave_long 13th Jan 19, 3:15 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dave_long
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:15 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:15 PM
    The wired version is not practical in my home, I want to get rid of its presence for cosmetic reason.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 13th Jan 19, 3:39 PM
    • 8,844 Posts
    • 6,654 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:39 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:39 PM
    With extenders you will not get the speeds advertised between the TV and the Router, the extender takes the signals from the router and retransmits them, and the same in the reverse direction, NB the extender at £35 will never get the 1200Mbps via the ethernet port (it's rated 10/100). Having said that for just the use of iplayer etc and not 4K it should work fine, depending on the presence of any phones/tablets sharing the wifi.
    Still grumpy
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 13th Jan 19, 3:47 PM
    • 8,585 Posts
    • 6,332 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:47 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:47 PM
    Can you run a cable from the router, part of the way to the TV (maybe in the room directly above the TV)? You could then attach a wireless access point at the end of the cable.

Or you could consider powerline adaptors, which send network data over your mains cables.

Either option would probably be better than using a repeater.
    • dave_long
    • By dave_long 13th Jan 19, 3:49 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dave_long
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:49 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:49 PM
    thank you. So does that mean (despite the limitations of extenders) the £35 device is better than the £17 device.

My phone line comes into the house on the second first floor, this is where the main computer is, which is more desirable for wired connection.

The TV connection is just a bonus rather than a need.

Thanks for your time.
    • dave_long
    • By dave_long 13th Jan 19, 3:53 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dave_long
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:53 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:53 PM
    Powerline adaptors, from what i read they seem to be reliant on the quality of the house electrical wiring. My house is quite old, I would hate to buy such device and find it to be unreliable.

Is this the case? Is there any recommendation of product, reviews I have seen have put me off. This is what I was looking at first. People have stated they switch off, lock up, or don't work well because of the house wiring.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 13th Jan 19, 4:04 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:04 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:04 PM
    Offices are wired with Ethernet cabling for a reason, itís reliable. I personally would put a little effort into making a neat job of the wiring.

WiFi is fine for phones and tablets, running data over mains wiring is liable to suffer from interference as well as creating interference to radios in the house, itís a bodge at best.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 13th Jan 19, 4:40 PM
    • 2,585 Posts
    • 2,218 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:40 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:40 PM
    running data over mains wiring is liable to suffer from interference as well as creating interference to radios in the house, it’s a bodge at best.
    I don't agree with this. I don't want to run ethernet cables from my router to the TV (different floor). At first it was a wifi connection which was tolerable but now via powerlines it is reliable and quick (no buffering). Best not to buy the lowest speed powerline sockets.
    • that
    • By that 13th Jan 19, 5:00 PM
    • 861 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    that
    have a look here at the motorguy last post
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5911209&highlight=mesh+wifi
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 13th Jan 19, 6:25 PM
    • 18,285 Posts
    • 11,186 Thanks
    motorguy
    I was coming on to this thread to post that link.

All day long i'd recommend bypassing powerline adapters and going straight to a MESH setup.

I cant believe the difference we've had. We'd dropouts with power line adapters and i've literally a box of about 15 of the things here where over the years i've swapped out for supposedly more reliable examples.

I went for the Tenda Nova MW3 option - as suggested by Grumpycrab on that forum thread. As cheap as chips but very highly rated and its genuinely been fantastic. Not one drop out since we got it and fantastic speeds.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-Nova-MW3-Whole-System/dp/B07D9CC637/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1547403858&sr=1-1&keywords=tenda+nova+mw3
    Last edited by motorguy; 13-01-2019 at 6:28 PM.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • dave_long
    • By dave_long 13th Jan 19, 6:28 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dave_long
    it looks great, thanks for your earlier thread

if by any chance you can confirm, does each little unit have an rj45 out, so i could plug my tv into it?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 13th Jan 19, 6:30 PM
    • 18,285 Posts
    • 11,186 Thanks
    motorguy
    it looks great, thanks for your earlier thread

if by any chance you can confirm, does each little unit have an rj45 out, so i could plug my tv into it?
    Originally posted by dave_long
    Yes, they have two network ports - theres good info in the amazon link and some pics.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • EmilyFrost
    • By EmilyFrost 14th Jan 19, 4:59 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EmilyFrost
    The wired version is not practical in my home
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,636Posts Today

8,433Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin