Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Denz005
    • By Denz005 13th Jan 19, 2:22 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Denz005
    BT ripping me off
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:22 PM
    BT ripping me off 13th Jan 19 at 2:22 PM
    I live in a new build house which is now 3 years old and have BT fibre in the home. Thereís a fancy box on the wall under the stairs with loads of flashing lights on it. When itís working itís about 70 mbps which is great. The problem is it now costs £50 per month for internet and phone. Sky broadband speed at my home is estimated at only 1.3mbps so Iím stuck with BT and no one else can use their fibre line so theyíve basically got my pants down and I canít change supplier which seems unfair. What can I do?
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 13th Jan 19, 3:13 PM
    • 33,822 Posts
    • 21,311 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:13 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:13 PM
    I live in a new build house which is now 3 years old and have BT fibre in the home. Thereís a fancy box on the wall under the stairs with loads of flashing lights on it. When itís working itís about 70 mbps which is great. The problem is it now costs £50 per month for internet and phone. Sky broadband speed at my home is estimated at only 1.3mbps so Iím stuck with BT and no one else can use their fibre line so theyíve basically got my pants down and I canít change supplier which seems unfair. What can I do?
    Originally posted by Denz005

BT aren't ripping you off, you agreed to said price.

Do Virgin not cover your area ?
    • littleboo
    • By littleboo 13th Jan 19, 3:55 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    littleboo
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:55 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:55 PM
    Yes they can, but most choose not to
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 13th Jan 19, 4:01 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 765 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:01 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:01 PM
    As already stated , you are not tied to BT, it's not BT's fibre it's Openreach's and they make it available to any service provider that wants to take the service at wholesale and then retail it under their own brand...if the company's you would like to use don't offer it, that entirely up to them, and if you are annoyed by that, you need to take it up with them.
    Other company's do offer FTTP over OR infrastructure , a simple on line search will find them, but don't expect them to be the cheap end of the market, they tend to be premium providers and charge accordingly.
    If you do have FTTP you should get a sync speed at whatever product speed you purchase..so if that's 80Mb Superfast 2 that's what you get
    • rnem170
    • By rnem170 20th Jan 19, 8:23 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    rnem170
    • 20th Jan 19, 8:23 PM
    • 20th Jan 19, 8:23 PM
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. My mother lives in a new build. She is paying over £60 per month on a regular basis for her phone and internet - and she is in her late 70s and is a very low user. BT also charge for mobile calls, so this adds £6-£10 per month.

She has NO choice! Before anyone replies with 'go somewhere else' - there is nowhere else to go. There are 1 or 2 providers that support FTTP but these are all more expensive or unsuitable.

When I go on to the BT site - it says there are offers available when i sign in, but when I do it says "You don't have a BT line" and so offers are not available.

I even thought of mobile broadband. 3mbs at best. Three - no signal, Vodafone/EE/O2 all have low signal quality in the house - despite their signal checkers on their sites saying that indoor quality will be strong 4G.

IMHO this is unacceptable and I am on the verge of complaining to OFCOM. Having had to try and support my mother through the nightmare of trying to get a decent deal, I would not recommend anyone buy a property with only FTTP. It sounds fantastic, but after the initial deal when you sign up, the 'standard' costs are eye watering.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 22nd Jan 19, 12:23 PM
    • 4,130 Posts
    • 2,912 Thanks
    boatman
    • 22nd Jan 19, 12:23 PM
    • 22nd Jan 19, 12:23 PM
    If she is a low user could you just use a mobile signal?
    • rnem170
    • By rnem170 22nd Jan 19, 5:54 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    rnem170
    • 22nd Jan 19, 5:54 PM
    • 22nd Jan 19, 5:54 PM
    If she is a low user could you just use a mobile signal?
    Originally posted by boatman
    No - not an option as there is at best 2mbps in the house. The good news is that I called them yesterday and after explaining the low usage, her age, and the options, they reduced to £35 pm (for 18 months)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,127Posts Today

7,224Users online

Martin's Twitter