Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SJ85
    • By SJ85 13th Jan 19, 1:53 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SJ85
    Places to buy in Manchester near a tram line (not Didsbury or Chorlton)
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:53 PM
    Places to buy in Manchester near a tram line (not Didsbury or Chorlton) 13th Jan 19 at 1:53 PM
    My partner and I are buying a house, weíre first time buyers have lived in Manchester for the last 10 years based in town but looking to buy our first place. My partner canít drive so we need to be fairly close to a tram line so she can get to work - Any suggestions? We had looked a bit further out like Northern Moor, anyone know much about the area of can suggest other areas?
Page 1
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 13th Jan 19, 3:26 PM
    • 5,690 Posts
    • 8,861 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:26 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:26 PM
    I don't know anything about South Manchester only North East towns. The metro link goes out as far as Newhey and Milnrow. They are building new homes near Milnrow and Kingsway Business Park. There are also train links from Littleborough, Smithy Bridge, and Castleton. None of these places are fashionable places but Littleborough and Smithy Bridge may be of interest to people who like sailing because there is Hollingworth Lake nearby. https://www.visitmanchester.com/things-to-see-and-do/hollingworth-lake-water-activity-centre-p125761
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 13th Jan 19, 3:50 PM
    • 10,178 Posts
    • 5,507 Thanks
    dimbo61
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:50 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:50 PM
    Timperley is nice and Sale, both on the metrolink system
    • martindow
    • By martindow 14th Jan 19, 11:06 AM
    • 8,056 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    martindow
    • 14th Jan 19, 11:06 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 11:06 AM
    Like most cities you will find fairly busy, rough and unappealing roads just round the corner from quiet and pleasant side streets. I think you will need to do the legwork to find what appeals to you.

Where your partner works might make certain tramlines more appealing than others. The journey will be simpler if they don't need to change trams or have a long walk in the city centre.
    • boxrick
    • By boxrick 14th Jan 19, 11:28 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    boxrick
    • 14th Jan 19, 11:28 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 11:28 AM
    My partner and I are buying a house, we’re first time buyers have lived in Manchester for the last 10 years based in town but looking to buy our first place. My partner can’t drive so we need to be fairly close to a tram line so she can get to work - Any suggestions? We had looked a bit further out like Northern Moor, anyone know much about the area of can suggest other areas?
    Originally posted by SJ85
    I would suggest cycling. I live in Manchester my girlfriend who is small and not a great cyclist commutes ~9 miles twice a day without any issues. I cycle around 4, going to be more options over the next few years with the beelines.

Buses in South Manchester are also fairly decent, but so many cars on the roads makes traffic pretty horrific.

This then opens up to more choice of where you can live.
    • Chrism03
    • By Chrism03 14th Jan 19, 12:29 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Chrism03
    • 14th Jan 19, 12:29 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 12:29 PM
    Timperley is nice and not over priced
    • MissMarble
    • By MissMarble 15th Jan 19, 10:32 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    MissMarble
    • 15th Jan 19, 10:32 PM
    • 15th Jan 19, 10:32 PM
    Good luck with the search! Does it have to be on a tram line? Stockport is surprisingly okay with trains into town (Piccadilly) and it takes around 9 mins. I guess it depends on your budget as when we were looking in areas with a tram line, we really couldnít afford it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

779Posts Today

6,566Users online

Martin's Twitter