Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Anthonyk900
    • By Anthonyk900 13th Jan 19, 1:20 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Anthonyk900
    Esa going onto universal credit
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:20 PM
    Esa going onto universal credit 13th Jan 19 at 1:20 PM
    Hi Iím just wondering Iím on esa atm and living with parents but wanting to move out, as universal credit is in my area I will have to claim it as I will need housing benefit, what will I get on universal credit if I am In the support group now can someone give me some advice please?
Page 2
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 13th Jan 19, 5:12 PM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 4,007 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Where Iím getting confused is atm I get esa which is £127 a week so £508 a month atm I donít claim housing benefit but as Iím looking to move out I will need to make a new claim and thatís uc so I have calculated what I will get on universal credit which will be £251+£328 for esa which is in universal lump sum and then plus £270.48 housing benefit which is in lump sum universal credit so all together I will get £850 is this right
    Originally posted by Anthonyk900
    That's correct but you'll need to use some of that to pay your rent plus all of your other bills. Gas, electric, water, food and any other bills.

Council tax reduction needs to be claimed from your local council because it's not part of UC. If you live alone you'll receive a 25% reduction in this.
    • Anthonyk900
    • By Anthonyk900 13th Jan 19, 5:15 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Anthonyk900
    Poppy12345 so will I need to go for another assessment if i got reassessed in September 2018 last year and got put into support group and will I need to provide sick notes again?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 13th Jan 19, 5:28 PM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 4,007 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Poppy12345 so will I need to go for another assessment if i got reassessed in September 2018 last year and got put into support group and will I need to provide sick notes again?
    DWP should honour the ESA award and place you in the relevant group for UC which is LCWRA but it can take a few weeks to do this, as previously advised, please re-read the thread. They can re-assess you at anytime for ESA and UC.

You'll also need to pay a bond (1 month's rent) plus 1 month's rent in advance when renting from a private landlord.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 13th Jan 19, 5:32 PM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 4,007 Thanks
    poppy12345
    And I live in Newcastle so itís fairly cheap
    Having just looked on this website, you may even find it very difficult to rent somewhere for your housing element amount, even in this area.

http://www.dssmove.co.uk/property/search?county=Tyne+And+Wear&list_type=list&sortby= created_at&order=DESC&location=Newcastle+Upon+Tyne
    • Anthonyk900
    • By Anthonyk900 13th Jan 19, 5:38 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Anthonyk900
    Well I live outside Newcastle so there’s property’s to let at around £65 to £75 a week so I probs will have to stick £10 to rent but i am willing to do so and yeah I just hope they don’t send me for another assessment as I had one in September and hopefully they just move me over into universal credit
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 13th Jan 19, 5:42 PM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 4,007 Thanks
    poppy12345
    As advised, it's not easy finding a landlord that will accept those claiming benefits and the ones that will, may ask for a guarantor.

What ever you decide, good luck.
    • Anthonyk900
    • By Anthonyk900 13th Jan 19, 5:59 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Anthonyk900
    Can I ask do you work with crisis if not you should have a look into getting Intouch with them as I wrang a housing estate agents called letters and they asked do I work or claim benefits I said benefits and they were funny at 1st said they accept but I need a gaurentor and my crisis coach said to mention them as they worked with the company before and they changed there minds straight away said oh I will speak to my manager and I will see you for a viewing on Monday at 2pm so I’m going for viewing tomorrow so fingers crossed and you can also get a paper bond off council and crisis pay 1st months rent but you need to work with them for them to help you only thing really you need is admin fees just if this helps if you didn’t already know.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 13th Jan 19, 6:25 PM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 4,007 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Thanks but i'm not looking for anywhere to live, i already have a home.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

221Posts Today

1,627Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Turns out this is all Google served. We've been in touch and it's shutting it down which should cut it on many webs? https://t.co/8OYeMjEu4n

• Follow Martin