Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Riddledwithanxiety
    • By Riddledwithanxiety 13th Jan 19, 12:53 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Riddledwithanxiety
    Transaction add up to less then what bank account says I have.
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:53 PM
    Transaction add up to less then what bank account says I have. 13th Jan 19 at 12:53 PM
    I got paid 885.00 on the first of January, I've gone on my online banking and added up all the outgoing transactions which added upto 776.00 which would mean i would have around 110 left yet my account says available balance 1.38, there is no pending transactions and all payments are cleared, so I'm not sure why there is less money in account that what should be, has anyone else ever noticed anything like this? Can banks get it wrong?
Page 1
    • societys child
    • By societys child 13th Jan 19, 1:06 PM
    • 6,069 Posts
    • 6,980 Thanks
    societys child
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:06 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:06 PM
    Doesn't the statement show all debits and credits, with a running total?
    If there was a discrepancy, you should be able to identify what it is and where it's occurred.

Edit: What type of account is it?

• eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 13th Jan 19, 1:19 PM
    • 9,744 Posts
    • 11,592 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:19 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:19 PM
    What was the opening balance?
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 13th Jan 19, 1:22 PM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 846 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:22 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:22 PM
    Are you saying your cleared balance on 31/12/18 was 0, you received 885 on 1/1/19 and you've spent 776 since then, or was all this spending scattered around the credit - and did you really get a credit to your account on a bank holiday?

Perhaps you might also tell us what was your cleared balance the day before any of this activity started - i.e. the day before the first item in your collection of debits and credits? Were you overdrawn by any chance?
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 13th Jan 19, 1:25 PM
    • 30,523 Posts
    • 18,457 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:25 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:25 PM
    Incoming cheque in clearance?
    Payments due out tomorrow and already accounted for (like YB et al do)?
    Is the 'balance' figure the same as the 'available balance' figure?
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 13th Jan 19, 1:38 PM
    • 3,617 Posts
    • 3,086 Thanks
    Sharon87
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:38 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:38 PM
    Are you saying your cleared balance on 31/12/18 was 0, you received 885 on 1/1/19 and you've spent 776 since then, or was all this spending scattered around the credit - and did you really get a credit to your account on a bank holiday?

Perhaps you might also tell us what was your cleared balance the day before any of this activity started - i.e. the day before the first item in your collection of debits and credits? Were you overdrawn by any chance?
    Originally posted by Terry Towelling
    This - if you were in your overdraft this would mean the balance would be different. Or transactions that went out the same day your money went in sometimes show before the income, so you need to take those into account.
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 13th Jan 19, 2:03 PM
    • 4,220 Posts
    • 1,995 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:03 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:03 PM
    When you say 'Available Balance' could this include sums that have been 'reserved' by retailers against your debit card and not yet dropped off?
    • Riddledwithanxiety
    • By Riddledwithanxiety 13th Jan 19, 3:37 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Riddledwithanxiety
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:37 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:37 PM
    I have no direct debits coming out, and the day before I got paid my balance was 12.30, I phoned up barclays and they said that a order I made to a online clothes shop had taken two payments and the 1st payment has cleared but the second one will be back in my account when the shop sends it back, thank you all for taking the time to reply back to me xxx
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 13th Jan 19, 4:13 PM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 846 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:13 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:13 PM
    Thanks for the update but it isn't that clear. If you have/had no pending transactions, the inference is that a retailer has duplicated a transaction (presumably in error) for about 120.

Barclays could only deduce that it was an error (pending corrective action) if it were aware of a file duplication. Is that what they told you? If it is a duplication by any other means, there is no guarantee that it will automatically be refunded and you may need to dispute the item to get your money back.

The trouble is, you said you added up the debits in online banking. If a duplicated transaction were present, it would have shown up and your calculations would have included it - but they didn't.

Keep your eyes peeled for the credit and be prepared to shout if it doesn't show soon because your availability of funds is being impacted quite badly by this 'error'.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,732Posts Today

8,167Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • PLS SHARE - WARNING DO NOT USE VIAGOGO. A group of MPs have today echo'd my own warning about the secondary tick? https://t.co/ZUvKRq3MeS

• RT @MartinSLewis: I've had a few messages from people concerned that they've bought tickets from Viagogo and they heard my cautionary warni?

• Early days but it seems I'm in the 1 in 20 who don't listen to music. Funny people react with such shock at not? https://t.co/xrU3aaRF9J

• Follow Martin