Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 13th Jan 19, 12:47 PM
    • 15,499Posts
    • 32,120Thanks
    Sleazy
    Use of the 'Thanks' Button
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:47 PM
    Use of the 'Thanks' Button 13th Jan 19 at 12:47 PM
    How do you use the 'Thanks' button which appears on a post-by-post basis?
    1. I'll often 'thank' the opening post if a subject interests me, to thank the poster for starting the thread.
    2. Sometimes, I'll 'thank' the user because I agree with the main part (not necessarily all) of what they've posted.
    3. Sometimes, if it's somebody that I engage with regularly, I often say 'thanks' so that they know I've seen the post.
    4. If somebody goes to the trouble of quoting something I've posted in a reasonable way, I'll often 'thank' that post too.
    5. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood and don't 'thank' anybody.
    6. Sometimes I am in the mood and 'thank' everybody.

What about you?
    Should the 'Thanks' button be replaced with two buttons to signify that you either 'Agree' or 'Disagree' with a post?

I've posted here rather than in DT as it's intended as a light hearted exchange of views rather than a life changing event.
    Weekly Distance Walked 22 km / Total For Year 344 km
    Anything posted here falls under The Official Secret Eater's Act
Page 1
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 13th Jan 19, 1:14 PM
    • 15,095 Posts
    • 58,232 Thanks
    joansgirl
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:14 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:14 PM
    I use it in a similar way to you I suppose.

Sometimes I thank every post (unless it's something I disagree with) sometimes I don't have time so just thank the first post, sometimes I just thank the person who posted before me.

If I quote a post I usually thank it first.

On long running threads I thank posts so I can see how far back I need to go next time to catch up.

I think the thanks button is not necessary and maybe should be replaced by an "Acknowledgement" button, to show you've read the post but don't necessarily agree with it.
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 13th Jan 19, 1:17 PM
    • 5,332 Posts
    • 17,695 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:17 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:17 PM
    Comes up time and again on forums.
    The evil "thanks" button.
    The "agree / disagree" thing seems to cause even more problems.
    If you don't have some sort of thanks system, you end up with a lot of "I agree" type posts.
    I just thank anything I agree with, that makes sense, (to me at least) or is funny.
    I never saw it as a big deal either way really.
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 13th Jan 19, 1:23 PM
    • 15,095 Posts
    • 58,232 Thanks
    joansgirl
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:23 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:23 PM
    Comes up time and again on forums.
    The evil "thanks" button.
    The "agree / disagree" thing seems to cause even more problems.
    If you don't have some sort of thanks system, you end up with a lot of "I agree" type posts.
    I just thank anything I agree with, that makes sense, (to me at least) or is funny.
    I never saw it as a big deal either way really.
    Originally posted by Jackmydad
    Some people take things far too seriously. I use another forum that has no thanks button and we manage fine. If someone strongly agrees with a post they either quote it and say so or post a thumbs up smiley.

If somebody disagrees they quote it and say (reasonably) that they disagree.
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 13th Jan 19, 1:51 PM
    • 5,332 Posts
    • 17,695 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:51 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:51 PM
    Some people take things far too seriously. I use another forum that has no thanks button and we manage fine. If someone strongly agrees with a post they either quote it and say so or post a thumbs up smiley.

If somebody disagrees they quote it and say (reasonably) that they disagree.
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    Generally, the only people I've seen complain about it are people who aren't getting the thanks they think they should get, or where the up / down type voting thing is used, are getting their posts voted down.

I never saw forums as a popularity contest myself. Nice to get thanks, but everybody doesn't have the same POV about things in general.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 13th Jan 19, 2:17 PM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 4,184 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:17 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:17 PM
    1. I'll often 'thank' the opening post if a subject interests me, to thank the poster for starting the thread.
    2. Sometimes, I'll 'thank' the user because I agree with the main part (not necessarily all) of what they've posted.
    3. Sometimes, if it's somebody that I engage with regularly, I often say 'thanks' so that they know I've seen the post.
    4. If somebody goes to the trouble of quoting something I've posted in a reasonable way, I'll often 'thank' that post too.

What about you?
    Should the 'Thanks' button be replaced with two buttons to signify that you either 'Agree' or 'Disagree' with a post?
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    Much the same except for 3. Also if someone thanks my post iíll probably thank theirs back as an acknowledgement. One forum i used to post on had an anonymous upvote/downvote system which worked well. You got an overall picture of the popularity of a post without any personal issues creeping in
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 13th Jan 19, 3:00 PM
    • 11,742 Posts
    • 31,688 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:00 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:00 PM
    This has been discussed many many times

The only time I now use the thanks button is if Ive asked for advice and someone has taken the time to advise me

I was accused of being in a clique because I thanked certain members posts in other parts of this forum. I was in no such thing, I just happened to think what they posted was sensible and agreed.

Just recently members who post of this board have been accused of being in a clique for thanking each other and some really nasty allegations made on the back of it

People read way too much into the thanks button
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 13th Jan 19, 3:23 PM
    • 9,307 Posts
    • 9,762 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:23 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 3:23 PM
    This has been done to death already - and in the appropriate forum!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 13th Jan 19, 4:30 PM
    • 40,659 Posts
    • 150,509 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:30 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:30 PM
    I tend to use the thanks button for all sorts of reasons:

Because the content of the post has made me laugh/smile/cheered me up.

Because I agree with the contents of the post.

Because the post has been written in a very eloquent way, and impressed me with the lucidity of their argument. Sometimes I do not agree as such with the poster's views, but I like the way they have given theirs.

Because the post has given me some useful information.

Because the poster has responded to a thread I have started, and I feel it is only polite to thank people who have taken the trouble to do so. (The only time I didn't do this, was because the post in question was so far removed from my own ethics that I didn't feel I could).

To let the poster know I have seen and read their post, or as a way of 'saying' hello.

As a way of commiserating with the person, or to let them know they are not alone, especially if the post is a sad one, or the person might be depressed.

To mark a place on a long-running thread.

To let people know I am alive.

I think that's everything, although I expect there might be one or two other reasons that haven't come to mind.

At the moment, I'm not thanking as much as I might do, because I'm not feeling well.

By the way, I thanked Pogofish because he always makes me laugh!
    Last edited by Pyxis; 13-01-2019 at 4:33 PM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 13th Jan 19, 4:47 PM
    • 15,499 Posts
    • 32,120 Thanks
    Sleazy
    I pretty well agree with parts of all the above including my own post, so I've thanked you all.

Sort of even agree with you too Pogo , and was sure the subject had already been discussed - but I did look and couldn't find the thread. Maybe making the 'search' function easier should be the subject of another thread ...

If I start a thread like this one, I usually thank the first few posters as long as they aren't rude or anything by default for their time and trouble.

Recent comments on the forum were the prompt for me to start this thread.
    • Zinco
    • By Zinco 13th Jan 19, 4:54 PM
    • 2,257 Posts
    • 4,017 Thanks
    Zinco
    You could maybe start a new thread asking if people check who has Thanked them, and who hasn't?

Pogo would like that

• elsien
    • By elsien 13th Jan 19, 4:57 PM
    • 18,603 Posts
    • 47,213 Thanks
    elsien
    Can't be arsed typing out a full reply - fairly sure I answered before.

But will thank you anyway. Just because...* insert reason here*.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Zinco
    • By Zinco 13th Jan 19, 5:34 PM
    • 2,257 Posts
    • 4,017 Thanks
    Zinco
    You could maybe start a new thread asking if people check who has Thanked them, and who hasn't?

Pogo would like that
    Originally posted by Zinco

Wonders where my Thanks is?

• Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 13th Jan 19, 5:39 PM
    • 15,499 Posts
    • 32,120 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Wonders where my Thanks is?
    Originally posted by Zinco
    Just thanked both of yours.

It doesn't mean that we are in a clique together.
    Or a secret society.
    Or anything.

It's just so you know I hadn't forgotten you. Well, not completely.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 13th Jan 19, 5:52 PM
    • 15,499 Posts
    • 32,120 Thanks
    Sleazy
    • tommix
    • By tommix 14th Jan 19, 1:45 AM
    • 38,061 Posts
    • 149,257 Thanks
    tommix
    I only thank those who are in my clique..
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 14th Jan 19, 4:57 AM
    • 15,499 Posts
    • 32,120 Thanks
    Sleazy
    I only thank those who are in my clique..
    Originally posted by tommix

Tom, thanks for letting me know that you're alive today. Hope that you're well.

My reply indicates that I don't currently have rigor mortis either although not well, so we probably don't need to thank each other today.

I thought it better to write you this rather than just clicking the 'thanks' button which would have admittedly been easier and said it all, although I might decide to thank posts either side of yours (depending on who posts them). Please don't read too much into that - it doesn't indicate anything untoward.

I don't mind not being in your clique, although perhaps we can share a beer sometime (I can only afford one) at Wetherspoons. You can have the first sip.

Edit - Regards to the horse
    Last edited by Sleazy; 14-01-2019 at 5:01 AM. Reason: Equine manners
    • colinw
    • By colinw 14th Jan 19, 8:09 AM
    • 54,789 Posts
    • 151,286 Thanks
    colinw
    I like the Thanks button, it is a nice easy way of saying "Cheers Mate" or agreeing with someone quickly without having to make another post, it might also be handy to have a "!!!! off" button though at times
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 14th Jan 19, 10:53 AM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 12,430 Thanks
    NBLondon
    1,2, and 4. I don't just hit thanks as an acknowledgement - but because the post is interesting. Though - I have to say that I sometimes hesitate because other people assume a Thanks always means agreement or approval. Even if it's someone I often disagree with - I might thank an individual post because that post is useful or makes a good point. Over in the Competitions thread people use thanks to indicate that they have seen and entered a competition. So the number of thanks someone has may have various different interpretations depending on how they were given.

So I don't assign a great deal of value to how many thanks I get for any post or worry if a named individual has or hasn't thanked me. I'm not convinced I'm that notable...
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 14th Jan 19, 11:06 AM
    • 1,695 Posts
    • 4,164 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    In my case it's mainly 2 and 7 (thanking a post I think's funny), with a smattering of all the others with the exception of 6 (I'm far to grumpy for that sort of thing )

I'm bad at thanking the thread starter, I tend to thank comments but often forget the person who started the whole thing, maybe that can be my new year's resolution, starting with this thread.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,127Posts Today

7,224Users online

Martin's Twitter