Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ghazghaz
    • By ghazghaz 13th Jan 19, 12:32 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ghazghaz
    Santander rejected claim
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:32 PM
    Santander rejected claim 13th Jan 19 at 12:32 PM
    I have a mortgage with an endowment policy with Alliance and Leicester in 1985.

Santander are now responsible for A& L

As my mortgage has been repaid I disposed of all old paperwork.

I recall that my mortgage application to Halifax was rejected and I obtained an offer from A & L but I would have to take out an insurance policy. That was the only way I could get a mortgage.

I contacted Santander and they rejected my claim. They said they could not find any details of me, even thought I gave them dates and addresses. They said they only kept records for 6 years and it was up to me to prove I took out the insurance policy.

I thought they were supposed to keep records

Any advice??
Page 1
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 13th Jan 19, 12:37 PM
    • 3,997 Posts
    • 3,461 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:37 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:37 PM
    Yes, they are required to keep records but not forever. Data protectiin prevent this. 6 years is considered a reasonable and acceptable period.

And there's no guarantee your insurance product was PPI.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Jan 19, 12:39 PM
    • 97,567 Posts
    • 65,673 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:39 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:39 PM
    I recall that my mortgage application to Halifax was rejected and I obtained an offer from A & L but I would have to take out an insurance policy. That was the only way I could get a mortgage.
    Was it an insurance policy or was it MIG? Mortgage Indemnity guarantee was required when you were borrowing a high loan to valuation (typically over 75% the value).

MIG is not PPI.

Any advice??
    1 - 1985 is three years prior to financial services regulation and pre-dates the building societies act. So, info will be light to non-existent.
    2 - 1985 is very very early in the sales period of PPIO
    3 - Its more likely you are referring to MIG.
    4 - If not MIG, then its possible its life assurance as mortgages in the 80s needed life assurance on them.

advice = give up.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,175Posts Today

6,838Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It isn't statistically representative true. But to say that tells us nothing isn't correct. It shows what people i? https://t.co/JBLu6Cd8a5

• Very interesting that on my Facebook page (which tends to be more pro Brexit) the same vote, with similar number of? https://t.co/NgYxaQDCnr

• Morning. I'm on my way to @GMB for my 7:40 deals of the week. This week incl how to beat the stamp price hike, a fr? https://t.co/DYJoF6NzKV

• Follow Martin