Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gandalftheking
    • By gandalftheking 13th Jan 19, 10:57 AM
    • 246Posts
    • 21Thanks
    gandalftheking
    0 WOW
    Munich from Cornwall...
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:57 AM
    0 WOW
    Munich from Cornwall... 13th Jan 19 at 10:57 AM
    From my own investigations it looks like direct flights from Bristol or London airports are on, but from Newquay or Exeter changes are involved.

This is only for a day or two of business so am looking to make the flight itself direct if possible. Being based in Cornwall is a pain on these occasions but it is what it is.

So my question is; is it best to get to London and fly out from there, or do some kind of mish mash trip using local airports too? For context, getting to London is 4-5 hours by train or car, and often involves a further overnight stay in the airport due to flight timings.

Any sage advice appreciated.
    Last edited by gandalftheking; 13-01-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Page 1
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 13th Jan 19, 11:38 AM
    • 3,836 Posts
    • 2,390 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:38 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:38 AM
    Depends on things like the kind of connections you offered, when exactly you will be travelling and where from, whether you are looking to spend as little time away from home as possible, etc. It's really difficult to say what "the best" option is based on the info you've given.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 13th Jan 19, 11:51 AM
    • 18,921 Posts
    • 7,985 Thanks
    richardw
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:51 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:51 AM
    Via Gatwick from Newquay gets you to MUC for 9.10am which is good for the working day there. Needs an overnight stay at Gatwick though.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • gandalftheking
    • By gandalftheking 13th Jan 19, 1:15 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    gandalftheking
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:15 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:15 PM
    Via Gatwick from Newquay gets you to MUC for 9.10am which is good for the working day there. Needs an overnight stay at Gatwick though.
    Originally posted by richardw
    Can you say what carrier you were looking at re the 0910 arrival in MUC please?
    • richardw
    • By richardw 13th Jan 19, 1:54 PM
    • 18,921 Posts
    • 7,985 Thanks
    richardw
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:54 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:54 PM
    Can you say what carrier you were looking at re the 0910 arrival in MUC please?
    Originally posted by gandalftheking
    Itís easyJet.
    • Contessa
    • By Contessa 13th Jan 19, 9:33 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 1,501 Thanks
    Contessa
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:33 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:33 PM
    From my own investigations it looks like direct flights from Bristol or London airports are on, but from Newquay or Exeter changes are involved.

This is only for a day or two of business so am looking to make the flight itself direct if possible. Being based in Cornwall is a pain on these occasions but it is what it is.

So my question is; is it best to get to London and fly out from there, or do some kind of mish mash trip using local airports too? For context, getting to London is 4-5 hours by train or car, and often involves a further overnight stay in the airport due to flight timings.

Any sage advice appreciated.
    Originally posted by gandalftheking

You don't say when you intend to travel but from March/April Flybe will operate a service to Heathrow.

My apologies if you already know this.

Together with the proposed takeover of Flybe by Virgin this could make flying a lot easier for those of us in Cornwall. Let's see what happens.
    • gandalftheking
    • By gandalftheking 14th Jan 19, 7:16 AM
    • 246 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    gandalftheking
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:16 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:16 AM
    Thanks Contessa - it would be mid next month but yes great news re FlyBe getting back on stream for future ref.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 14th Jan 19, 7:49 AM
    • 18,921 Posts
    • 7,985 Thanks
    richardw
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:49 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:49 AM
    You don't say when you intend to travel but from March/April Flybe will operate a service to Heathrow.
    Together with the proposed takeover of Flybe by Virgin this could make flying a lot easier for those of us in Cornwall. Let's see what happens.
    Originally posted by Contessa
    Btw the Virgin consortium take over of Flybe could affect interline agreements with other non Virgin airlines at LHR and impact through ticketing. Itís a wait and see.
    • N9eav
    • By N9eav 14th Jan 19, 7:59 AM
    • 4,665 Posts
    • 26,417 Thanks
    N9eav
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:59 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:59 AM
    I find the same dilemma for holidays to visit my daughter in USA. I am not sure there is ever an easy option. Newquay flights are more expensive, but can offer speed, no long driving or hotel, but cost more and can have layovers.
    There seems to be a Newquay flight that gets you there same day with a layover at Gatwick. As you say it takes 5 hours to get to LGW. 2 hrs 30 to get to Bristol.
    There is no magic solution from Cornwall..

I find flying with layovers the least stressful and less tiring. The Newquay flight is 55 mins and very easy. Breakfast at LGW, Fly on from there.....

07:25 - 15:10
    British Airways logo
    British Airways
    Good Flight (7.2/10)
    6h 45m (1 stop)
    Departure airport: NQY - 3h 40m in LGW Stopover 3h 40m in LGW Arrival airport: - MUC
    British Airways 6115 operated by Flybe
    Last edited by N9eav; 14-01-2019 at 8:02 AM.
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

100Posts Today

1,006Users online

Martin's Twitter