Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • maxangus
    • By maxangus 13th Jan 19, 8:48 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    maxangus
    Landlord using past gas readings to charge for 'extra gas usage' despite all-inclusive bills
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:48 AM
    Landlord using past gas readings to charge for 'extra gas usage' despite all-inclusive bills 13th Jan 19 at 8:48 AM
    Four of us have moved in since September, and according to the landlord's calculations using 6 years of gas reading history, we have exceeded the amount of gas we are 'expected to use'. However the flat is extremely inefficient (has single glazing on all windows as well as some holes in walls). We have not seen any official gas bills, and so there's no proof of the gas readings over 6 years, and he's using a spreadsheet of calculations for expected amount of gas used per calendar month. His defence is that we are being compared with 6 years of history in the same flat.
    We have used the heating quite sensibly in order to live comfortably, but this has apparently in excess of the heating we're allowed. Can he enforce this and should we pay for the excess gas used?
Page 2
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 13th Jan 19, 7:48 PM
    • 7,977 Posts
    • 6,780 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    However the flat is extremely inefficient (has single glazing on all windows as well as some holes in walls).
    Originally posted by maxangus
    Fill the holes in the walls with screwed up plastic bags.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Taiko
    • By Taiko 14th Jan 19, 1:02 AM
    • 2,548 Posts
    • 2,391 Thanks
    Taiko
    Max, if it'd help, I'm happy to do a bit of analysis for you on usage and what could be expected. It's something I do day-to-day anyway, but if you were to give me rough area (London, SW England, Scottish Highlands etc), and perhaps upload the historic readings somewhere, I could probably put something together for you that would ultimately help should it ever go any further.

Would also need to know if the meter is metric (m3) or imperial (ft3). Think you did mention imperial, would be best to check though.
    • wesleyad
    • By wesleyad 14th Jan 19, 10:25 AM
    • 441 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    wesleyad
    I would wonder it he is comparing the whole 6 year average to just your winter usage (as you moved in september), which would clearyl skew the figures against you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

747Posts Today

6,576Users online

Martin's Twitter