Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chim Chim
    • By Chim Chim 13th Jan 19, 8:34 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Chim Chim
    No one is supplying my gas!
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:34 AM
    No one is supplying my gas! 13th Jan 19 at 8:34 AM
    Hi forum members hope you can help me out here.

I have just moved house and have been giving meter readings etc. I know who supplies my electricity but for some reason no company is down to supply my gas. I called the gas meter helpline and checked with them and that appears to be the case. I am not sure what to do next.

Iím worried if I use a service like uswitch and I donít have a current gas supplier that they wonít be able to help.

Can I just compare tariffs and pick the one that is best and ring up a company to start with them?

Just looking for a bit of direction please.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 13th Jan 19, 8:56 AM
    • 3,667 Posts
    • 1,091 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:56 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:56 AM
    Trying picking the cheapest of the big6 ring them up and see if you can move to them.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 13th Jan 19, 10:15 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    wavelets
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:15 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:15 AM
    Hi forum members hope you can help me out here.

I have just moved house and have been giving meter readings etc. I know who supplies my electricity but for some reason no company is down to supply my gas. I called the gas meter helpline and checked with them and that appears to be the case. I am not sure what to do next.

Iím worried if I use a service like uswitch and I donít have a current gas supplier that they wonít be able to help.

Can I just compare tariffs and pick the one that is best and ring up a company to start with them?

Just looking for a bit of direction please.

Many thanks
    Originally posted by Chim Chim
    Rental or purchased property?
    • Chim Chim
    • By Chim Chim 13th Jan 19, 2:20 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chim Chim
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:20 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:20 PM
    Itís a purchased property
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 13th Jan 19, 2:39 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    wavelets
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:39 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:39 PM
    It’s a purchased property
    Consult your solicitor
    They should have informed you who supplied the gas based on information provided by the vendor.
    Last edited by wavelets; 13-01-2019 at 2:42 PM.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 13th Jan 19, 2:53 PM
    • 1,534 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:53 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:53 PM
    Itís a purchased property
    What did the Property Information Form say about energy suppliers?
    • nigelbb
    • By nigelbb 13th Jan 19, 4:14 PM
    • 2,247 Posts
    • 3,030 Thanks
    nigelbb
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:14 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:14 PM
    Don't switch. At present your gas is free.
    • Chim Chim
    • By Chim Chim 13th Jan 19, 4:29 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chim Chim
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:29 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:29 PM
    It did say Scottish Power but they have confirmed that they are only supplying electric
    • flyer
    • By flyer 13th Jan 19, 4:43 PM
    • 2,011 Posts
    • 1,351 Thanks
    flyer
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:43 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:43 PM
    I'd say sit tight but put some money aside in case someone does pop up!

I have a similar situation. I was with Iresa who went bust in the summer and got e mails from a crowd called Octopus Energy saying they have taken over my account but haven't heard from them since last September and they haven't taken a penny!
    Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 13th Jan 19, 5:01 PM
    • 2,113 Posts
    • 1,801 Thanks
    Carrot007
    It probably never got registered. Happens a lot on new houses.

Is it new? Or newly split or something like?

Unfortunatly 99.9% of suppliers even if they are the one will probably just say computer says no. or at least the front line call centre will.

Avoiding it may come back on you with a big bill. Backbilling only applies if you have made the effort. And then it is not law, just a COC signed up to. I doubt however hard it is that you would be let off. Unless you indend to move soon do something.

Look at the gas meter. See who owns it and contact them. If it is unregistered on the national database then there are ways to trace it. Maybe it was removed from the database by accident. Where was it previously etc. Hopefully a big supplier and then just contact the web relations team who will get things sorted out. Note I say owns, they are mostly owned by leasing companies but the meter should provide details of who fitted it was fitted for rather than who owns it. If is doubt a picture could help. I would offer but I have no access to the gas database, just the electric one. Knowing how old the house is helps know who the supplier is. New estates are often not the default area supplier. Howevber weithout more details it is hard to know anything.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 13th Jan 19, 5:03 PM
    • 2,113 Posts
    • 1,801 Thanks
    Carrot007
    It did say Scottish Power but they have confirmed that they are only supplying electric

Like I say call centre who just want their stats up or web relations team? Actually the online chat for scottish power also reloved my isses when the call centre just mucked things up. Call centres are only for easy questions these days. Unfortunatly they get told to resolve things not pass it on elsewhere so that is unfortunatly up to you.
    • Chim Chim
    • By Chim Chim 13th Jan 19, 7:10 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chim Chim
    Itís not new. Was built in 2006 which is why I am so surprised
    • wakeupalarm
    • By wakeupalarm 13th Jan 19, 7:41 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    wakeupalarm
    It’s not new. Was built in 2006 which is why I am so surprised
    So the previous owner must have been registered with an energy company. Which means you will probably be on their standard (high) rates for your gas account.

I would try to get this sorted out asap as gas usage will only go up during the next 3/4 months.

Find out which region you are in and have a look at the link below and give the appropriate number a call tomorrow.

https://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/guides/who-supplies-my-electricity-and-gas/
    Last edited by wakeupalarm; 13-01-2019 at 7:49 PM.
    • nigelbb
    • By nigelbb 14th Jan 19, 9:39 AM
    • 2,247 Posts
    • 3,030 Thanks
    nigelbb
    Have you checked your gas supplier on https://findmysupplier.energy ?
    • macman
    • By macman 14th Jan 19, 10:29 AM
    • 43,152 Posts
    • 18,348 Thanks
    macman
    Contact the vendors and ask them to clarify?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Chim Chim
    • By Chim Chim 15th Jan 19, 8:09 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chim Chim
    Thank you all
    Just an update to say thanks for all the advice. I contacted my solicitor and she passed on the message to our seller and they are on the case with Scottish Power. Easier for them to do as they have the account details to challenge this.
    • Houbara
    • By Houbara 15th Jan 19, 12:45 PM
    • 4,318 Posts
    • 2,867 Thanks
    Houbara
    Just an update to say thanks for all the advice. I contacted my solicitor and she passed on the message to our seller and they are on the case with Scottish Power. Easier for them to do as they have the account details to challenge this.
    If you have included your meter serial number in your search for the supplier to your property please bear in mind the possibility of the former tenant having substituted the original meter for a brand new one from Ebay (approx £48 )..These meters will be untraceable because they are not registered at any address.Any searches using serial numbers as well will fail if this has been done
    The former owner could have had a prepayment gas meter in place , so substituting the meter (takes a 2 minute exchange ) would then give that property unregistered/unpaid gas.. This is extremely common in the UK s mess of here today gone tomorrow 70 odd suppliers plus a pretty poor Revenue Protection Unit from some of the big 6.
    I worked for a few of the big 6 suppliers on meter reading duties and can t ever remember attending an address to do a "must inspect " of a prepayment meter with EDF or Scottish Power.. Only British Gas were diligent enough to want to inspect prepayment meters every year/or two years
    • molerat
    • By molerat 15th Jan 19, 1:08 PM
    • 20,409 Posts
    • 14,703 Thanks
    molerat
    I wonder if the Nexus project has caused a few glitches that are only being picked up on switching. Another poster here has had a switch rejected and checking the database there is no supplier but they are currently with one of the big 6.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,143Posts Today

6,976Users online

Martin's Twitter