Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • venomx
    • By venomx 13th Jan 19, 8:18 AM
    • 237Posts
    • 29Thanks
    venomx
    Wrong Meter Reading
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:18 AM
    Wrong Meter Reading 13th Jan 19 at 8:18 AM
    I moved into my new place on 4th and my advocate came round on 10th ( last wednesday ) and created an account with the new provider ( robin hood )
    He may have given the completely wrong meter readings down to an error, I have the correct meter readings now, should i phone them up asap ( tomorrow ) and tell them the accurate ones or is it too late ?

Example. The ones we may have gave them are :
    1. 380.27
    2. 3564.3

When in actual fact they are
    1. 38027
    2. 35643
Page 1
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 13th Jan 19, 8:35 AM
    • 4,103 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:35 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:35 AM
    You should phone them and then WRITE to them with a recorded delivery letter with a photgraph of the the meters so that they are in no doubt that you sent them the correction.

You should also save a copy for your records just in case it gets missed and you end up with a problem in the future.

Make sure you send in a meter readings every month and CHECK that the on-line billing/statements are using actual readings - get them corrected if they are using estimates

Dont let it drag on for months if it's wrong.

Even if you've got someone helping you it would be wise to double check to ensure that you understand what they are doing and to ensure that stuff is done correctly.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • venomx
    • By venomx 13th Jan 19, 8:40 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    venomx
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:40 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:40 AM
    You should phone them and then WRITE to them with a recorded delivery letter with a photgraph of the the meters so that they are in no doubt that you sent them the correction.

You should also save a copy for your records just in case it gets missed and you end up with a problem in the future.

Make sure you send in a meter readings every month and CHECK that the on-line billing/statements are using actual readings - get them corrected if they are using estimates

Dont let it drag on for months if it's wrong.

Even if you've got someone helping you it would be wise to double check to ensure that you understand what they are doing and to ensure that stuff is done correctly.
    Originally posted by matelodave
    Thanks
    It's too late to take a picture now as we've been in for a week or so now and have used the electric.
    The meter readings in question are those on the day my tenancy started ( 2nd january )
    All i can do now is give them the accurate ones.

Basically the decimal point is in the wrong place. Would the supplier suss this out or will i have to correct it
    Last edited by venomx; 13-01-2019 at 8:52 AM.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 13th Jan 19, 9:16 AM
    • 3,520 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:16 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:16 AM
    I'm not sure here that your advocate has done the correct thing.

On moving into a new property the first thing is to give meter readings to the existing supplier. Where they are obviously wrong the suppliers system should reject them.

Having contacted the new supplier Robin Hood that is only the beginning and they will email you when they want readings. Then you read your meter, keep your own records and take another photo.

It's not too late - a few days is neither here nor there.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • venomx
    • By venomx 13th Jan 19, 9:19 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    venomx
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:19 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:19 AM
    Where they are obviously wrong the suppliers system should reject them.
    Originally posted by Robin9
    Ok thanks.

Will the previous tenant have contacted Robin Hood with their final meter readings ? If so there shouldn't be a problem, as when my advocate contacted them the meter readings we gave them should be roughly the same as what the last tenants did ?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 13th Jan 19, 9:28 AM
    • 3,520 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:28 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:28 AM
    In your post you say Robin Hood is the new provider - that implies to me that someone else used to supply the property.

The previous tenant should have contacted the supplier and given them readings.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 13th Jan 19, 9:38 AM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 1,580 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:38 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:38 AM
    Don't rely on the former tenant having done anything.

But do take pictures and do as explained above and send them a copy.

The pictures will show current useage yes but they will also prove that the original readings were supplied incorrectly and you will be a few units over them now.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 13th Jan 19, 11:55 AM
    • 4,103 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:55 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:55 AM
    Unfortunately you cannot rely on the previous tenant either giving a reading when they left or even giving a correct one although you can hope that they did.

As others have said it's not too late to get it sorted out, so do it as soon as possible.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • Houbara
    • By Houbara 13th Jan 19, 12:05 PM
    • 4,103 Posts
    • 2,667 Thanks
    Houbara
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:05 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:05 PM
    Your reading will be completely ignored unless the decimal point is ignored because they are never needed in any meter readings.
    In my experience on the job for 20 years I hear many occupiers , who are moving house, constantly inform me that they have already submitted their outgoing readings and refuse me access to their meters to update .In other words, they are trying to nick a bit !
    The time to look at the meters,and note the readings is just before they turn the front door key for the last time , not a fortnight earlier ( or later for incoming occupiers ).. No wonder suppliers would sooner trust their idea of the end/start reading rather than trust busy occupiers moving in and out of properties
    • venomx
    • By venomx 13th Jan 19, 2:26 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    venomx
    Your reading will be completely ignored unless the decimal point is ignored because they are never needed in any meter readings.
    In my experience on the job for 20 years I hear many occupiers , who are moving house, constantly inform me that they have already submitted their outgoing readings and refuse me access to their meters to update .In other words, they are trying to nick a bit !
    The time to look at the meters,and note the readings is just before they turn the front door key for the last time , not a fortnight earlier ( or later for incoming occupiers ).. No wonder suppliers would sooner trust their idea of the end/start reading rather than trust busy occupiers moving in and out of properties
    Originally posted by Houbara
    Thanks, i hope that is the case reg. the decimal point ! I will take meter readings from now on. The electric company are always welcome round to check my usage

Will call up tomorrow just to confirm the correct meter readings.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,917Posts Today

8,709Users online

Martin's Twitter