Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Ikpo1979
    • By Ikpo1979 13th Jan 19, 8:07 AM
    • 21Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Help with Tax Credits amounts
    • #1
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:07 AM
    Help with Tax Credits amounts 13th Jan 19 at 8:07 AM
    Hi all, hopefully Someone can help me as trying to find any info is virtually impossible. Iíll try to keep it brief.

    I work full time. My partner works part time (3 days a week) we are relatively low earners bringing in around £23, 000 per year.

    Our daughter goes to nursery for 2 of the 3 days that my partner works and we are currently receiving 15 funded hours from the government towards her nursery fees. At the end of each month we are left with £69 to pay towards her nursery fees.

    Because we are paying for childcare We currently are in receipt of tax credits, and get £386 a month. Obviously this is a lot more that we are paying out. (£69)

    As my daughter is due to go to school in September, I am trying to budget my money for when we are no longer paying for her childcare.

    Can anyone tell me, if when the tax credit renewal is due, as we will be no longer paying for childcare will I be £386 a month worse off, or will I still get a proportion of this?

    Itís all very confusing as initially I just assumed if I was paying £69 a month for childcare, the government would cover this amount? Why do we get so much more in than we pay out? Is it because we are low earners too?

    Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 13th Jan 19, 8:35 AM
    • 4,716 Posts
    • 4,420 Thanks
    • #2
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:35 AM
    • #2
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:35 AM
    Putting all your details into a benefits calculator will tell you how much you could claim.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 13th Jan 19, 9:11 AM
    • 1,919 Posts
    • 1,293 Thanks
    • #3
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:11 AM
    • #3
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:11 AM
    As poppy suggests try a benefits calculator.
    Last edited by calcotti; 13-01-2019 at 10:29 AM.
    • Ikpo1979
    • By Ikpo1979 13th Jan 19, 9:31 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    • #4
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:31 AM
    • #4
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:31 AM
    Thank you! Just tried that and itís telling me Iím entitled to Child Tax credits.

    Am I being stupid, I thought Child tax credits was only for those who are paying for childcare? In July of this year, Iíll no longer be paying for childcare as both children will be going to school so I entered my details onto the calculator with my circumstances from July onwards. Itís still saying Iíll be entitled to £71.03 per week?
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 13th Jan 19, 9:45 AM
    • 5,378 Posts
    • 3,506 Thanks
    • #5
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:45 AM
    • #5
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:45 AM
    Child tax credits are for those who have children. How much you then get depends on number of children, income, disabilities etc.

    Childcare is an element of working tax credits.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,026Posts Today

6,238Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

  • Today's FRIDAY twitter poll: Draconian & absurd new laws by May/Corbyn/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dicta?

  • Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh!

  • Follow Martin