Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • staffie1
    • By staffie1 13th Jan 19, 7:34 AM
    • 1,620Posts
    • 1,324Thanks
    staffie1
    Healthy Eating for One
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:34 AM
    Healthy Eating for One 13th Jan 19 at 7:34 AM
    Morning. Can you recommend any books for this subject. Single guy, very basic cooking skills, not much time, and need to start eating more healthily. Iíve looked through some of the sections on this forum, but itís a trawl to cut through the general chit-chat and get to the heart of the matter!

Any advice appreciated for books focussing on recipes for one person - breakfasts, lunches, dinners.
    Thanks.
    If you will the end, you must will the means
Page 1
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 13th Jan 19, 7:56 AM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 2,147 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:56 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:56 AM
    Learning to cook is just so important. You don’t need to start with anything complicated just work your way up slowly.

I have overnight oats for breakfast.... super duper heathy and no cooking required just add whatever takes your fancy.

Can’t recommend what to eat as that purely down to personal preference BUT whatever you do use ingredients NOT pre-prepared food. And of course DONT SNACK!
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 13th Jan 19, 8:09 AM
    • 3,462 Posts
    • 5,916 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:09 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:09 AM
    The world is geared up for people who eat in groups of two, I find.

The freezer is your friend - buy meat/fish/whatever and divide it into single portions and freeze, then take out as required.
    A very basic but tasty and healthy meal can be on the table in 20 minutes with minimal cooking skills - pork chop (grilled) with potatoes (if you buy the washed ones, they don't need peeling) and any veg of your choice (boiled). Yogurt and fresh fruit for afters.
    Cookery books aimed at students might be a good place to start - I know I bought one for my son that included recipes, how to shop, basic kitchen hygiene, and instructions for things like making a white sauce or making pastry.
    • staffie1
    • By staffie1 13th Jan 19, 8:22 AM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 1,324 Thanks
    staffie1
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:22 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:22 AM
    Thatís a really good point, thank you.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 13th Jan 19, 8:55 AM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 2,147 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:55 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:55 AM
    The world is geared up for people who eat in groups of two, I find.
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    Only if you worship at the temple of the Supermarket. If you live in anything but the smallest of villages.....go explore your food landscape. Local butchers will not only have a much wider range especially of the cheaper (and more tasty) cuts* but will also will sell in amounts suitable for 1. Same goes for grocers and fishmongers. Supermarkets are only interested in selling the premium cuts with Ďadded valueí processing and trendy packaging.

The Student cookbooks is a very good suggestion! Worth mentioning the need to stick with it.... you will have disasterís etc but in the long run it will be worth it.

*had 2 slices of pan fried ox liver with mash potatoes and steamed greens for lunch yesterday and it was amazing. Trying getting liver in a supermarket thatís lass than 500g and hasnít been hacked to bits (should be thinly & evenly sliced)
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 13th Jan 19, 8:58 AM
    • 16,699 Posts
    • 48,837 Thanks
    freyasmum
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:58 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:58 AM
    I can't recommend any specific books as I've never deliberately cooked for one, Student cookbooks may help you with making meals for one, if that's what you want to do.

However, what I used to do was make a bigger batch and freeze for later dinners. Or, take the leftovers for lunch the next day.
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 13th Jan 19, 9:07 AM
    • 2,867 Posts
    • 8,168 Thanks
    splishsplash
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:07 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:07 AM
    Breakfast: porridge (couple of minutes in the microwave). Give it life and variety with different toppings/mixes: peanut butter; berries; nuts; seeds; fruit, yogurt; granola etc.
    Porridge takes a couple of minutes in the microwave, you can make it with water or milk.

Lunch: wraps; sandwiches; rice pots; soups; salads; leftover dinners.
    Prep the evening before while your dinner cooks. If you make a pot of soup one evening or at the weekend, you could freeze individual portions.

Dinners can be as easy as you like. Sheet pan meals or dinners cooked 'en papillote' (in parchment paper) are probably the two easiest and quickest methods, and can be the healthiest.
    Try Mealpreponfleek for sheet pan recipes.

Cooking chicken or fish dinners in parchment paper is simple - this video gives you the general idea. Just add whatever you want to eat and make a sealed envelope with baking paper (not waxed paper). I always add in spuds but you can cook rice or pasta separately if you prefer.
    Main thing to remember is to season everything well or it can be a bit tasteless.

It's more difficult to recommend a cookbook - do you want it to focus more on techniques or recipes? What's your taste in food like? Budget? Have a look at 101 Square Meals - some nice recipes and information in there.

I would recommend using websites - step by step guides with video instruction makes the most difficult recipes simple.
    I walk around like everything is fine, but deep down, inside my shoe, my sock is sliding off.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 13th Jan 19, 9:10 AM
    • 2,024 Posts
    • 7,809 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:10 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:10 AM
    Delia Smith - one is fun
    Jan 18 grocery challenge £105.13/ £150
    • wort
    • By wort 13th Jan 19, 9:19 AM
    • 963 Posts
    • 11,530 Thanks
    wort
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:19 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:19 AM
    I can't recommend a cook book as I tend to make enough for two then eat the second portion the next day or freeze a portion depending on what I make.
    If you have freezer room batch cooking something is good as it's easy to pull something out to warm through when you get home from work. So you don't snack on rubbish.
    I agree most meals can be cooked in 20 mins. I put potato and veg in one pan , then add a foil wrapped piece of salmon/fish later and it all cooks together.
    I've heard people mention jack Monroe cooking on a bootstrap, she cooks cheap meal but I think she's now vegan but look for earlier recipe these are available on Internet.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • staffie1
    • By staffie1 13th Jan 19, 9:27 AM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 1,324 Thanks
    staffie1
    Only if you worship at the temple of the Supermarket. If you live in anything but the smallest of villages.....go explore your food landscape. Local butchers will not only have a much wider range especially of the cheaper (and more tasty) cuts* but will also will sell in amounts suitable for 1. Same goes for grocers and fishmongers. Supermarkets are only interested in selling the premium cuts with Ďadded valueí processing and trendy packaging.

The Student cookbooks is a very good suggestion! Worth mentioning the need to stick with it.... you will have disasterís etc but in the long run it will be worth it.

*had 2 slices of pan fried ox liver with mash potatoes and steamed greens for lunch yesterday and it was amazing. Trying getting liver in a supermarket thatís lass than 500g and hasnít been hacked to bits (should be thinly & evenly sliced)
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    Now that does sound delicious- the kind of thing mum used to cook for us. I will definitely give that a go!
    Agree with you about the supermarkets!
    • staffie1
    • By staffie1 13th Jan 19, 9:29 AM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 1,324 Thanks
    staffie1
    I can't recommend any specific books as I've never deliberately cooked for one, Student cookbooks may help you with making meals for one, if that's what you want to do.

However, what I used to do was make a bigger batch and freeze for later dinners. Or, take the leftovers for lunch the next day.
    Originally posted by freyasmum
    Yes I definitely need to make use of my freezer - not just use it for ice cubes (and ice cream!)
    This has got to be a significant money-saver, too.
    • staffie1
    • By staffie1 13th Jan 19, 9:31 AM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 1,324 Thanks
    staffie1
    Breakfast: porridge (couple of minutes in the microwave). Give it life and variety with different toppings/mixes: peanut butter; berries; nuts; seeds; fruit, yogurt; granola etc.
    Porridge takes a couple of minutes in the microwave, you can make it with water or milk.

Lunch: wraps; sandwiches; rice pots; soups; salads; leftover dinners.
    Prep the evening before while your dinner cooks. If you make a pot of soup one evening or at the weekend, you could freeze individual portions.

Dinners can be as easy as you like. Sheet pan meals or dinners cooked 'en papillote' (in parchment paper) are probably the two easiest and quickest methods, and can be the healthiest.
    Try Mealpreponfleek for sheet pan recipes.

Cooking chicken or fish dinners in parchment paper is simple - this video gives you the general idea. Just add whatever you want to eat and make a sealed envelope with baking paper (not waxed paper). I always add in spuds but you can cook rice or pasta separately if you prefer.
    Main thing to remember is to season everything well or it can be a bit tasteless.

It's more difficult to recommend a cookbook - do you want it to focus more on techniques or recipes? What's your taste in food like? Budget? Have a look at 101 Square Meals - some nice recipes and information in there.

I would recommend using websites - step by step guides with video instruction makes the most difficult recipes simple.
    Originally posted by splishsplash
    Thank you! That is really useful. I am going to enjoy this! I do love good food, I just need to be more confident in what to buy and how to make it, so this will help me loads.
    • staffie1
    • By staffie1 13th Jan 19, 9:33 AM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 1,324 Thanks
    staffie1
    Delia Smith - one is fun
    Originally posted by BrassicWoman
    Now I do have that book - bought it years ago. Iíve had a go at a few things in there, but Delia does like her puddings and sweet stuff!
    • staffie1
    • By staffie1 13th Jan 19, 9:34 AM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 1,324 Thanks
    staffie1
    I can't recommend a cook book as I tend to make enough for two then eat the second portion the next day or freeze a portion depending on what I make.
    If you have freezer room batch cooking something is good as it's easy to pull something out to warm through when you get home from work. So you don't snack on rubbish.
    I agree most meals can be cooked in 20 mins. I put potato and veg in one pan , then add a foil wrapped piece of salmon/fish later and it all cooks together.
    I've heard people mention jack Monroe cooking on a bootstrap, she cooks cheap meal but I think she's now vegan but look for earlier recipe these are available on Internet.
    Originally posted by wort
    Thanks Iíll look that one up.
    Some great suggestions from you all - thank you.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 13th Jan 19, 12:38 PM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 6,763 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Build your meal plan round the recommended 5 a day.

In keeping with Mr S's ox liver, I present you with more offal - last night's main dish - lambs' kidneys saut!ed with shallots, 1/2 a green pepper, spinach and broccoli, a couple of spoonfuls of plain goats' milk yogurt, a splash of manzanilla and some smoked paprika. Serve with noodles/fettuccine or similar. Delicious and takes about 10 minutes plus prep time in decoring the kidneys.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 13th Jan 19, 1:00 PM
    • 3,462 Posts
    • 5,916 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    You're absolutely right about supermarkets v local butchers etc. Unfortunately, where I live, we only have one butcher and the place just doesn't feel quite clean to me (the back of the shop, where they take the carcasses in, is a disgrace) - so I've got into the habit of just buying at the supermarkets. Forgot some people might have a better choice!!
    • Bigjenny
    • By Bigjenny 13th Jan 19, 2:22 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 6,019 Thanks
    Bigjenny
    Another recommendation is "Nosh for Students" by Joy May
    Last edited by Bigjenny; 13-01-2019 at 3:33 PM.
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 13th Jan 19, 2:29 PM
    • 2,024 Posts
    • 7,809 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    Now I do have that book - bought it years ago. Iíve had a go at a few things in there, but Delia does like her puddings and sweet stuff!
    Originally posted by staffie1

She does Leah Lenneman's Vegan Cooking for One is a tad healthier but lots of people I know recoil in horror at the V word... personally I love her recipes!
    Jan 18 grocery challenge £105.13/ £150
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

904Posts Today

5,782Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

• Today's FRIDAY twitter poll: Draconian & absurd new laws by May/Corbyn/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dicta? https://t.co/umCa8jP7LT

• Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• Follow Martin