Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 13th Jan 19, 12:02 AM
    • 2,800Posts
    • 3,490Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    can I save a lot or not
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:02 AM
    can I save a lot or not 13th Jan 19 at 12:02 AM
    not a heavy user (single person 1 bedroom )

I am on sse PAYG

however I keep looking at some of the "best" tariffs on this page and wonder if I am actually being "done"

I was using ebigo , with no standing charge upto 2 yrs ago , untill gov stuck there noses in

gas
    27.19p per day
    3.563p per kWh.

electric
    28.96p per day
    14.200p per kWh

+ 5% vat

plus they have non of my money in there kitty , and I can simply pay as I need it ,
    Last edited by twhitehousescat; 13-01-2019 at 12:05 AM.
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
Page 1
    • pooch
    • By pooch 13th Jan 19, 12:26 AM
    • 775 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    pooch
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:26 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:26 AM
    not a heavy user (single person 1 bedroom )

I am on sse PAYG

however I keep looking at some of the "best" tariffs on this page and wonder if I am actually being "done"

I was using ebigo , with no standing charge upto 2 yrs ago , untill gov stuck there noses in

gas
    27.19p per day
    3.563p per kWh.

electric
    28.96p per day
    14.200p per kWh

+ 5% vat

plus they have non of my money in there kitty , and I can simply pay as I need it ,
    Originally posted by twhitehousescat
    Consult a comparison site

Read this for more info
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/switch-prepaid-gas-electricity/
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 13th Jan 19, 1:57 AM
    • 2,800 Posts
    • 3,490 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:57 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:57 AM
    thank you , I am asking regarding non PAYG

I know about price capping of PAYG , but it seems to me , reading threads that the normal pay monthly costs have risen a lit recently
    Last edited by twhitehousescat; 13-01-2019 at 2:01 AM.
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 13th Jan 19, 6:28 AM
    • 3,523 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:28 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 6:28 AM

I know about price capping of PAYG , but it seems to me , reading threads that the normal pay monthly costs have risen a lit recently
    You are correct normal credit rates have risen.

For some PAYG is a good way to keep control of their budget - do follow the link pooch gave and let us know the outcome.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 13th Jan 19, 10:27 AM
    • 867 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    wavelets
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:27 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:27 AM
    I am on sse PAYG ...

Have you read the link provided in post#2?
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 13th Jan 19, 10:37 AM
    • 2,800 Posts
    • 3,490 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:37 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:37 AM
    yes i have , and like most MSE reports are either incorrect or scaremongering

I see people on this forum banding around numbers that are close to the ones I have listed , and are being pressured into having large (inaccurate) DD taken , and after moving from one supplier to another waiting mths for refunds and /or companies going under and being moved to new companies with wildly different tariffs

on the PAYG , YES I could , as friends have done find a tarriff possibly 30-40 cheaper , but do they honour the warm home scheme (140 to me) , as several of my friends have found out , no they do not /
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 13th Jan 19, 10:43 AM
    • 867 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    wavelets
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:43 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:43 AM
    yes i have , and like most MSE reports are either incorrect or scaremongering .../
    In what way is that report incorrect or scaremongering?
    SPOTTED OUT OF DATE INFO/BROKEN LINKS? EMAIL: BROKENLINK@MONEYSAVINGEXPERT.COM
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 13th Jan 19, 10:57 AM
    • 2,800 Posts
    • 3,490 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:57 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:57 AM
    gave up reporting out of date info to mse many yrs ago
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 13th Jan 19, 11:50 AM
    • 7,810 Posts
    • 6,572 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:50 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:50 AM
    https://energycompare.citizensadvice.org.uk/
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 13th Jan 19, 12:08 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    wavelets
    The non-disabled version of that link is available here, with the additional possibility of up to 34 cashback for a successful switch

https://www.energylinx.co.uk/energy/cashback/
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 13th Jan 19, 1:26 PM
    • 2,800 Posts
    • 3,490 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    I am not in a position to change from PAYG to monthly , and you will see that the PAYG price cap has more or less set the minimum price on PAYG*

I was asking , just how far are the PAYG prices now with all the recent price rises in monthly DD type accounts ?

* I checked last yr for cheaper PAYG , but found that most of the cheaper quotes (20-40 per yr) were companies that did not participate in warm energy scheme
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 13th Jan 19, 2:12 PM
    • 4,105 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    matelodave
    All the price caps have done is to compress the costs of the various standard tariffs from various suppliers into a fairly narrow band at or just below the capping level..

The costs will no doubt increase in April & October when OFGEM revalue the cap

The scope for significant discounts for those on fixed or other deals has or will be reduced to pay for it all.

Those on "special" or "complex" tariffs will be well and truly stuffed as the cap only actually applies to standard variable or so called "default" tariffs so they dont have the opportunity to easily change tariffs or suppliers.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,354Posts Today

8,125Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin