Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sasparillo
    • By sasparillo 12th Jan 19, 11:11 PM
    • 272Posts
    • 36Thanks
    sasparillo
    Bathroom Mirror Conundrum
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:11 PM
    Bathroom Mirror Conundrum 12th Jan 19 at 11:11 PM
    Having an en-suite bathroom refurbished as wet room for my Mum.

Her home was built in the 1970s, my parents had to move quickly because of a new job but thought they were safe with a new house part of a development of several houses, having successfully bought new homes off plan several time before.

It was the start of a litany of problems where the NHBC and the local district council proved complete duds. Anyway ... one of the problems is the house was it was adapted into a four bedroom house from a three bedroom plan. The en-suite is partially over the stairs.The sink and window at the back of it is over the narrow stairs - but not narrow enough to be able to open the window without having to climb on a stool and make an enormous effort to open the door. See below my query about the mirror if you’re interested in more of the history.

Anyway the layout was bath at back, toilet left hand side wall to the left of the door. Opposite sink with the almost unreachable window in a square with the fourth front wall down and left side, right side and back window.

My late father put up an extendable shaving mirror on the right hand side of the sink, facing the window, as the mirror but I was wondering if anybody had any other ideas as to how to put in a mirror which is not at an impossible angle.

The local council inspector confirmed the ceiling on the stairs below the sink was too low but refused to do anything about it as did the NHBC. Mind you, the same inspector said that a garden wall, holding up soil on a hill, was a safe ‘retaining’ wall. It wasn’t and when it fell (luckily with no one near it) it turned out to be - just a wall with no efforts made to retain at all. Oh and the house never conformed to the plans submitted to the council, the builders having added an extra house causing every house to have a too narrow path and over hanging eaves. The builders were a shelf company set up by a local solicitors and the directors skiddadled off to Florida, both threatening my parents who had paid outright for the house. The rest of the homebuyers seemed to have mortgages arranged by the builders and a local bank and some of them were personal friends of the builders. That’s not the end of the problems - doors opening into each other, a so called shower in the master bedroom outside the en-suite in the carpeted area with shower doors opening onto the en-suite door and every house had to deal with the shower leaking. The residents though wouldn’t join up to do something despite my parents’ efforts.
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Jan 19, 8:58 AM
    • 27,096 Posts
    • 97,145 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:58 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:58 AM
    You've written hundreds of words and criticised a number of bodies/people, yet it's apparently too difficult for you to provide a simple sketch, diagram or photo of what your problem is.

You could have a photo, or a photo of a diagram hosted on a site like this:

https://imgbb.com/

Then you could post the code they give you into your question, so people might more easily understand what you mean.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 13-01-2019 at 9:07 AM.
    Gardening is cheaper than psychotherapy.....and you get tomatoes.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 13th Jan 19, 9:58 AM
    • 9,099 Posts
    • 9,712 Thanks
    -taff
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:58 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:58 AM
    They spent fifty years in this house despite all the problems....Are you sure they dislike it that much?
    Anway, what dave ^ said. I can't picture what you mean.
    • sasparillo
    • By sasparillo 13th Jan 19, 11:45 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    sasparillo
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:45 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:45 PM
    You've written hundreds of words and criticised a number of bodies/people, yet it's apparently too difficult for you to provide a simple sketch, diagram or photo of what your problem is.

Then you could post the code they give you into your question, so people might more easily understand what you mean.
    Originally posted by Davesnave

Originally posted by Davesnave
    I did try and include a simple sketch with horizontal and vertical dashes but when I did print preview the dashes lined up on one side instead of keeping their position. I’ll post a sketch on the site you’ve indicated. Thanks for that. In the meantime...

When you enter the en-suite on the immediate right is the sink. It looks like it’s on a vanity unit stretching to the window. In fact it’s over the stairs. Facing the window, there is one wall on the right of the sink stretching to the window with a shaver point near the sink. On the other side of the sink is another wall stretching back to the window. So basically a three sided box where it is impossible to reach the window without standing on something. The wall on the left hand side of the sink alcove facing the sink starts at the front edge of the sink and mock vanity case top, not at the window, because of the stairs. So the walls on either side are at right angles and the window is set back in the middle, higher than the mock vanity unit top. So we’re asking whether there is anything we can do for a mirror apart from my late father’s solution of an extendable shaving mirror so she has a mirror when brushing her teeth.

There is a slight gap between the alcove and the bath against the back wall of the bathroom opposite the bathroom entrance, soon to be wet room shower worn half height doors and shower curtains.

The radiator, soon to be towel rail, is to the left of the bathroom door with the toilet facing the sink which is opposite it in the three sided sink recess. The suite is a 1970s suite and we aim to have a more compact comfort height toilet. Again there will be a small gap and then the wet room shower will start stretching along the back wall.

The bathroom door opens on the doors of a shower in the carpeted area outside the bathroom, on the right hand side of the bathroom entrance door if you face into the bathroom. The shower, which all the houses on development have had leaking problems with, will be ripped out, leaving an alcove where the shower is presently and a supporting arch stretching across the width of the room. Unfortunately the door to the bedroom from the end of a narrow passage way is opposite the shower, between the en-suite and the arch, hence we cannot extend the bathroom.

https://ibb.co/tBPvNdC
    https://ibb.co/TYK166D
    https://ibb.co/wgMmxPZ
    https://ibb.co/4NVnnXF
    https://ibb.co/18gZgT1
    Last edited by sasparillo; 14-01-2019 at 12:05 AM.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 14th Jan 19, 4:17 AM
    • 34,144 Posts
    • 20,700 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 14th Jan 19, 4:17 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 4:17 AM
    Why has the tiling started before all the old stuff has been ripped out?

Still need sketch/floorplan of the room layout and what's around it.

what is not clear is how much further back the front of the fake vanity could go.

I have a en suite with sink over stairs(blank wall at back) and could push the front face back quite a few CM, original build was a modified kitchen carcase.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 14th Jan 19, 2:35 PM
    • 9,099 Posts
    • 9,712 Thanks
    -taff
    • 14th Jan 19, 2:35 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 2:35 PM
    Get a rectangular mirror with a board backing and put it on hinges and affix to one side or the other. Or buy a cheap mirrored unit from ikea and just use the mirror part.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 14th Jan 19, 3:05 PM
    • 5,654 Posts
    • 26,688 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 14th Jan 19, 3:05 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 3:05 PM
    Learn how to clean teeth without requiring a mirror? I've never needed one apart from when flossing and if that's all she needs one for, could you stick a mirror tile on the back of the bathroom door?
    • sasparillo
    • By sasparillo 14th Jan 19, 5:52 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    sasparillo
    • 14th Jan 19, 5:52 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 5:52 PM
    Get a rectangular mirror with a board backing and put it on hinges and affix to one side or the other. Or buy a cheap mirrored unit from ikea and just use the mirror part.
    Originally posted by -taff
    I like the idea of the hinged mirror which can fold neatly. Maybe with a cord to pull it out, altho’ I may have to resort to the shaving mirror in the end. Thanks taff!
    • -taff
    • By -taff 15th Jan 19, 1:34 AM
    • 9,099 Posts
    • 9,712 Thanks
    -taff
    • 15th Jan 19, 1:34 AM
    • 15th Jan 19, 1:34 AM
    get the soft closing hinges in the kitchen section and just put up a piece of edging to hide them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

221Posts Today

1,627Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Turns out this is all Google served. We've been in touch and it's shutting it down which should cut it on many webs? https://t.co/8OYeMjEu4n

• Follow Martin