Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mj73
    • By mj73 12th Jan 19, 10:33 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mj73
    Trading Allowance eligibility
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:33 PM
    Trading Allowance eligibility 12th Jan 19 at 10:33 PM
    Hi All,

Is anyone able to confirm please whether a sole trader who did some freelance work for an organisation whilst they were only a sole trader and not employed, but later, after the freelance work had been completed, became an employee of the same organisation during the same tax year, would be eligible to claim Trading Allowance?

The Gov.uk page says you can't claim the allowance if you have trade income from your employer, but what if they weren't an employer at the time when the income was earned?

Thanks in advance for any help, it is much appreciated.
Page 1
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 13th Jan 19, 12:42 AM
    • 7,808 Posts
    • 7,496 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:42 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:42 AM
    the wording used is "at a time when"

so as you did not receive the self employment income at a time when you were an employee of the payer then I'd say you can claim the trading allowance even though, as you say, the events are in the same tax year since you have two distinct "sources" of income in timeline terms: the sole trader and the employment

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/business-income-manual/bim86036
    Last edited by 00ec25; 13-01-2019 at 9:22 AM.
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 13th Jan 19, 7:23 AM
    • 11,303 Posts
    • 21,562 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:23 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:23 AM
    You say as a sole trader. If you were already a sole trader at the time for other customers/clients, then the freelancing work would just be more sole trader income so the trading allowance would be available towards your total sole trader income (if you chose instead of claiming expenses).
    • mj73
    • By mj73 14th Jan 19, 10:27 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mj73
    • 14th Jan 19, 10:27 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 10:27 PM
    Thanks for the replies.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,127Posts Today

6,225Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

• Today's FRIDAY twitter poll: Draconian & absurd new laws by May/Corbyn/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dicta? https://t.co/umCa8jP7LT

• Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• Follow Martin