Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • robdeighton
    • By robdeighton 12th Jan 19, 10:32 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    robdeighton
    Faulty Samsung TV
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:32 PM
    Faulty Samsung TV 12th Jan 19 at 10:32 PM
    We are having an issue with our new samsung 4k smart TV.... it was bought as a xmas present for us from Currys in their Black Friday sales by my mother. So the TV remained in the box from the 11th November until the 23rd December. Set the TV up and everything appeared to be working okay... really happy.

On boxing day we to go watch a Bluray with our Panasonic Bluray player and we begin to notice tiny random dropouts out in the sound. We have a YouView box (from TalkTalk) also connected and we start to notice these drop outs on there too. I even went to the trouble of connecting up a Samsung DVD player - same problem occurs. The issue of the dropouts only occurs when a device is connected via HDMI. Normal operation through the smart TV apps or built in terrestrial is fine.

The problem is noticeable when watching films but as myself and girlfriend are big music fans we watch a lot of concerts etc, and it's really noticeable on that type of programme.

I contacted Samsung support (based in asia), who logged into the TV and reset the software and the HDMI hardware and this didn't resolve the problem. they wanted further proof of the issue and asked if I could generate/record problem down the phone (!), i stated that it wouldn't be possible as the sound issue is random and the drop outs are so small you probably wouldn't be able to hear them anyway, i was left on hold for 20+ minutes while she talked to her supervisor. After several communications with them, they have now requested that i try and 'video capture' the random fault.

I decided to try and resolve the problem away from Samsung and visited Curry's at their Hull store with our TV... the manager on TV department was not interested (tried to blame it on our HDMI cables, bluray player etc) and as the TV is over 30 days old he directed us to their 'KnowHow' desk... So we set the tv up with our Panasonic Bluray on their Know How desk and the TV behaved itself (it is a random fault after all), and the store was so noisy in that if the fault did occur you probably wouldn't of heard it anyway.... so we left with no resolution and a leaflet with telephone number to call their Customer Service centre. I must point out after our initiial communication with the manager he appeared to avoid talking to us while we were in the store and left it to the KnowHow assistant to deal with us. - which i thought was a bit unfair on the assistant.

I'm really at a loss of what to do, i'm going to try and video record and raise the problem with Samsung again it but i can see that being a task as the problem is random and i don't think my iphone will pick up the sound drop outs as they are so quick.

Also, on the samsung website there is a forum where people report issues they are having with their products, and there are number of people with a slightly different model number with exactly the same problem but Samsung are dis-interested as nobody has reported a fault with my Model number -

Does anybody have any advice on how we can get a resolution with Samsung? The thing is the TV is good, it's just this small problem that is letting it down and i can see this being a long drawn out task until the problem is resolved. There quite clearly is a problem as other people are reporting it too...

Is it worth contacting trading standards?

Thanks in advance...
Page 1
    • Les79
    • By Les79 12th Jan 19, 10:53 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    Les79
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:53 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:53 PM
    The onus is on them (the company if you go for your consumer rights, or the manufacturer if you go for your warranty rights) to prove that a fault is inherent or not..

BUT if they cannot replicate the fault then they have nothing to work from. So you'd need to provide some sort of evidence to show that a fault exists, and then the manner of it can be investigated. So provide your recordings.

You mention "random" a lot, however you also have indicated that there are numerous possible triggers for it (the HDMI use and watching concerts) so I really don't think you'd struggle to gather the evidence (and you should have suggested that to them as well!) under the right conditions. My only worry, and backed up with your sentence "drop outs are so small you probably wouldn't be able to hear them anyway", is that the issue is a borderline non-issue and either due to the wiring (which can be a legitimate cause) or "PEBTAC".
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Jan 19, 11:02 PM
    • 23,290 Posts
    • 12,735 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:02 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:02 PM
    the sound issue is random and the drop outs are so small you probably wouldn't be able to hear them anyway
    Originally posted by robdeighton
    That sounds like rather a non-problem I'm afraid.

Certainly, Trading Standards are not going to involve themselves in your individual (minor) complaint.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 13th Jan 19, 12:14 AM
    • 10,529 Posts
    • 11,521 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:14 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:14 AM
    The onus is on them (the company if you go for your consumer rights, or the manufacturer if you go for your warranty rights) to prove that a fault is inherent or not..
    Originally posted by Les79
    Might also be worth bearing in mind by the OP that it's their mother's rights, given she was the one who bought it...the OP doesn't have any rights.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Jan 19, 9:52 AM
    • 12,628 Posts
    • 9,363 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:52 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:52 AM
    You (your mother) need to go back to Currys as your consumer rights are with them, not Samsung.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 13th Jan 19, 10:57 AM
    • 11,936 Posts
    • 5,345 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:57 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:57 AM
    >ropouts only occurs when a device is connected via HDMI.

Check HDMI settings on the TV and swap HDMI cable .Should be a few HDMI settings including audio.

<are so small you probably wouldn't be able to hear them anyway,?

If you cannot hear them how do you know they exist ??
    • chili1496
    • By chili1496 13th Jan 19, 11:01 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    chili1496
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:01 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:01 AM
    could be a decoding issue from the device that is attached via the hdmi
    • robdeighton
    • By robdeighton 13th Jan 19, 7:03 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    robdeighton
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:03 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:03 PM
    That sounds like rather a non-problem I'm afraid.

Certainly, Trading Standards are not going to involve themselves in your individual (minor) complaint.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    When i said that it - it was in the context of samsung hearing the problem down the phone
    which is what they were asking to do - however if you are in the room you do notice it, even to the untrained ear, i have had friends and relatives comment that its there - so definitely not a 'non-problem'
    • robdeighton
    • By robdeighton 13th Jan 19, 7:08 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    robdeighton
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:08 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:08 PM
    Might also be worth bearing in mind by the OP that it's their mother's rights, given she was the one who bought it...the OP doesn't have any rights.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    >ropouts only occurs when a device is connected via HDMI.

Check HDMI settings on the TV and swap HDMI cable .Should be a few HDMI settings including audio.

<are so small you probably wouldn't be able to hear them anyway,?

If you cannot hear them how do you know they exist ??
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    we have checked all cables and they are fine - bear in mind everything was working perfectly well when connected to our old Panasonic TV. Again when i said 'you wouldn't be able to hear it '- it was in the context of samsung hearing the problem down the phone
    • robdeighton
    • By robdeighton 13th Jan 19, 7:10 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    robdeighton
    could be a decoding issue from the device that is attached via the hdmi
    Originally posted by chili1496
    would like to hope that it is, however the fact it's happening across multiple devices and there are reports on other samsung models makes it looks like a bigger hardware problem
    • robdeighton
    • By robdeighton 13th Jan 19, 7:15 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    robdeighton
    You (your mother) need to go back to Currys as your consumer rights are with them, not Samsung.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    My mother was with us when took the tv back to the hull store - she can be stern when she needs to be.... curry's were only interested if we could replicate the problem in store, which we couldn't because :
    1. the problem is random
    2. you need your full attention to pick it up
    3. there was that much noise in the store environent that if the problem had of occurred you wouldn't oh heard it as a living room environment is completely different where it is noticeable
    • robdeighton
    • By robdeighton 13th Jan 19, 7:21 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    robdeighton

BUT if they cannot replicate the fault then they have nothing to work from. So you'd need to provide some sort of evidence to show that a fault exists, and then the manner of it can be investigated. So provide your recordings.

You mention "random" a lot, however you also have indicated that there are numerous possible triggers for it (the HDMI use and watching concerts) so I really don't think you'd struggle to gather the evidence (and you should have suggested that to them as well!) under the right conditions. My only worry, and backed up with your sentence "drop outs are so small you probably wouldn't be able to hear them anyway", is that the issue is a borderline non-issue and either due to the wiring (which can be a legitimate cause) or "PEBTAC".
    Originally posted by Les79
    i will provide my recordings. to say that it is a non-issue its a bit ignorant, this TV cost 349 and has a problem. If you bought a TV or any other product that had a issue/fault for a large amount of money you would 'live with it' or would you try and get a resolution?

And again "i said drop outs are so small you probably wouldn't be able to hear them anyway" in the context of samsung hearing the problem down the phone.
    Last edited by robdeighton; 13-01-2019 at 7:27 PM.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Jan 19, 8:24 PM
    • 23,290 Posts
    • 12,735 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    i will provide my recordings. to say that it is a non-issue its a bit ignorant
    Really? The store could not replicate the problem. I'd say it was therefore a non issue
    If you bought a TV or any other product that had a issue/fault for a large amount of money you would 'live with it' or would you try and get a resolution?
    I'm afraid I would not regard 349 as a large amount of money for a TV set. Hardly "high end", is it?
    this TV cost 349 and has a problem.
    Last of the big spenders are you?
    • robdeighton
    • By robdeighton 13th Jan 19, 8:33 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    robdeighton
    Really? The store could not replicate the problem. I'd say it was therefore a non issue

I'm afraid I would not regard 349 as a large amount of money for a TV set. Hardly "high end", is it?

Last of the big spenders are you?
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit i find. to you it may not be a lot of money, but to some it could be. you don't know my circumstances or anything about me, so i would you suggest you keep your opinions against me to yourself.

You are right in that in store the problem did not happen - that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.... i would suggest you read some pages over at the Samsung support forums from others with the same problem:
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Jan 19, 8:44 PM
    • 23,290 Posts
    • 12,735 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    to you it may not be a lot of money, but to some it could be
    The point is that your TV cost 349. That means it's at the budget end of the spectrum and you should therefore not expect the same quality of picture and sound as a set costing 3490, for example.

I'm not "judging" you for not being able to afford more, but I am saying your expectations are grossly exaggerated based on what you have paid.

If you continue to fail in replicating the "fault", the most you can expect is a refund of your 349..
    • Les79
    • By Les79 13th Jan 19, 8:57 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    Les79
    i will provide my recordings. to say that it is a non-issue its a bit ignorant, this TV cost 349 and has a problem. If you bought a TV or any other product that had a issue/fault for a large amount of money you would 'live with it' or would you try and get a resolution?

And again "i said drop outs are so small you probably wouldn't be able to hear them anyway" in the context of samsung hearing the problem down the phone.

Righto, listen I don't mind being called "ignorant" if I am being ignorant but I felt that I told you precisely where you stand, so I feel that it is you who has the attitude problem here.

Good luck getting a resolution.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

414Posts Today

4,512Users online

Martin's Twitter