Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kazmeister
    • By kazmeister 12th Jan 19, 10:13 PM
    • 3,166Posts
    • 52,858Thanks
    kazmeister
    Help required purchasing Microsoft Office
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:13 PM
    Help required purchasing Microsoft Office 12th Jan 19 at 10:13 PM
    Hi

I am looking for help in obtaining a Microsoft Office package for a new (basic) laptop. I wont be a massive user but do need this so that I can share documents/templates between my work laptop and my personal one.

I am totally confused as never having owned my own laptop prior to now, I thought that you could just buy what you required, install and that would be it. It now seems as if there is not just Office but Office 365 as well (not sure I need this, we have it at work and its above my head) and you either purchase for a year or pay monthly. I also saw a suggestion that you can order off Amazon. My laptop is a Lenovo ideapad 330 and does not have a disc drive so I am unable to install an old disc version we have of Office Home and Student.

Ideally I would like to pay a one off price for purchase, or a very cheap monthly payment.

Please can anyone make any recommendations.

TIA
    Lost my wings, need to learn to fly again
Page 2
    • that
    • By that 13th Jan 19, 11:05 PM
    • 931 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    that
    Not true in any substantive sense... clearly, if you use the odd new function added in 20 years, it's not going to be compatible with an old version, however you can quite easily work with .xls files created in Excel 97 and for the changes to be 'roundtripable'.
    Originally posted by hyubh
    Actually there is or was a mortgage sheet to be download. The link to the site was posted here some years ago on MSE, then a newer version of excel came out and the sheet no longer worked, so now there were two sheet of the same thing, and neither version worked in Libre office correctly
    Last edited by that; 13-01-2019 at 11:14 PM.
    • kazmeister
    • By kazmeister 17th Jan 19, 11:17 PM
    • 3,166 Posts
    • 52,858 Thanks
    kazmeister
    A couple of issues here... adding an external DVD reader/writer costs around £12 for a USB powered one from eBay. I bought one for my Dell desktop recently, it is a “business” PC that only had a DVD reader.

Secondly, copying files from home to work on a USB stick will have your IT department going purple... any company or organisation worth its salt will either have disabled USB or restrict its use to specific encrypted USB sticks, it’s a huge security risk from both malicious software and sensitive material being leaked/lost.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    I understand what you are saying but I used my work laptop for my studying which work sponsored. I am about to get TUPE'd over to another company and want to be able to copy all my uni assignments over along with things like my CV. I guess I could put my work memory stick into my own and copy them over that way, but I still wouldn't be able to read them.
    • kazmeister
    • By kazmeister 17th Jan 19, 11:19 PM
    • 3,166 Posts
    • 52,858 Thanks
    kazmeister
    Who mentioned company PC's, oh you did.

As for disabling USB ports, I visit numerous companies and occasionally have to install software or copy off data and the only organisation I have come across that restricts USB access is the MOD.
    Originally posted by Inner Zone
    To be fair the assumption was correct
    • mksysb
    • By mksysb 18th Jan 19, 8:01 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    mksysb
    I understand what you are saying but I used my work laptop for my studying which work sponsored. I am about to get TUPE'd over to another company and want to be able to copy all my uni assignments over along with things like my CV. I guess I could put my work memory stick into my own and copy them over that way, but I still wouldn't be able to read them.
    Originally posted by kazmeister
    You won't lose anything by copying them across and then installing Libre Office and see if you can read them all. If you can you have saved the cost of MS Office, if not you can then look at the best way to install MS Office.
    • Steve KK
    • By Steve KK 18th Jan 19, 8:43 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Steve KK
    I used my work laptop for my studying which work sponsored. I am about to get TUPE'd over to another company and want to be able to copy all my uni assignments over along with things like my CV. I guess I could put my work memory stick into my own and copy them over that way, but I still wouldn't be able to read them.
    Originally posted by kazmeister
    Why not ask you IT team for help? A reasonable request like this should be accommodated. I would certainly be happy to help with this type of request, plus by approaching your IT team there is less chance you could be accused of misappropriating sensitive company documents.

Regards,
    Steve
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 18th Jan 19, 9:44 AM
    • 424 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    OP - does your company use Office365? If so, then...

1/ Ensure your office documents are syncing to OneDrive
    2/ Go to a browser on your home laptop, and visit https://portal.office.com
    3/ Sign in with your work user ID / password
    4/ Find your document and view / edit in the browser.

If you want to edit offline, your company may have enabled the ability for you to install office apps from the MS portal. Once you've signed in above, if this is the case, towards the top-right there will be an option "Install Office". This will allow you to install Word etc, but those applications will require you to sign in with your work ID. But they will also allow you to work on One Drive stored files.

All companies should consider what access they allow via USB sticks, and should be running encrypted HDD/SSD's as well.
    • Ader1
    • By Ader1 18th Jan 19, 11:12 AM
    • 380 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Ader1
    I had Libre Office on my PC and it worked fine as I can remember. But then I had issues when uploading my CV to one of these on-line job web-sites such as Indeed.co.uk or was it Jobcenterplus ? Anyway, I ended up using Office365 which I have to pay around £5 per month for. I would like a cheaper option though. Maybe purchasing a slightly older version of Office would be the answer?
    • mksysb
    • By mksysb 18th Jan 19, 11:54 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    mksysb
    I had Libre Office on my PC and it worked fine as I can remember. But then I had issues when uploading my CV to one of these on-line job web-sites such as Indeed.co.uk or was it Jobcenterplus ? Anyway, I ended up using Office365 which I have to pay around £5 per month for. I would like a cheaper option though. Maybe purchasing a slightly older version of Office would be the answer?
    Originally posted by Ader1
    If you are sending stuff like CV's to those sites you should really be sending them as PDF's. Libre Office can export as PDF's quite easily.
    • Paul_DNAP
    • By Paul_DNAP 18th Jan 19, 12:11 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    Paul_DNAP
    And of course you'll need to check your company's IT policy on the security of transferring work files from your work computer to your personal computer.

(If they are both laptops, why not just work on the work laptop at home?)
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 18th Jan 19, 12:22 PM
    • 6,506 Posts
    • 6,398 Thanks
    DoaM
    That assumes that the TUPEing will result in the OP retaining the existing infrastructure and PC equipment; probable but not guaranteed.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

524Posts Today

5,144Users online

Martin's Twitter