Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kazmeister
    • By kazmeister 12th Jan 19, 10:13 PM
    • 3,166Posts
    • 52,858Thanks
    kazmeister
    Help required purchasing Microsoft Office
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:13 PM
    Help required purchasing Microsoft Office 12th Jan 19 at 10:13 PM
    Hi

I am looking for help in obtaining a Microsoft Office package for a new (basic) laptop. I wont be a massive user but do need this so that I can share documents/templates between my work laptop and my personal one.

I am totally confused as never having owned my own laptop prior to now, I thought that you could just buy what you required, install and that would be it. It now seems as if there is not just Office but Office 365 as well (not sure I need this, we have it at work and its above my head) and you either purchase for a year or pay monthly. I also saw a suggestion that you can order off Amazon. My laptop is a Lenovo ideapad 330 and does not have a disc drive so I am unable to install an old disc version we have of Office Home and Student.

Ideally I would like to pay a one off price for purchase, or a very cheap monthly payment.

Please can anyone make any recommendations.

TIA
    Lost my wings, need to learn to fly again
Page 1
    • steviebabes
    • By steviebabes 12th Jan 19, 10:34 PM
    • 1,645 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    steviebabes
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:34 PM
    No need for MS office unless you are using advanced functions. Download LibreOffice or Open Office. Both fully compatible with MS office and free.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 12th Jan 19, 10:34 PM
    • 1,422 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    dj1471
    If you have it at work then first check if your company is signed up to the Home Use Program, this would get you a decent discount.

Have you considered LibreOffice, which is free?
    • kazmeister
    • By kazmeister 12th Jan 19, 11:32 PM
    • 3,166 Posts
    • 52,858 Thanks
    kazmeister
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:32 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:32 PM
    Thanks for the comments so far. I haven't tried the LibreOffice as I had read that it isn't always compatible with Office documents.

I want to be able to open a document on one machine save it to a memory stick and then transfer it to the other and open without complications.

I will ask at work though, thanks.
    Lost my wings, need to learn to fly again
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 13th Jan 19, 7:28 AM
    • 8,584 Posts
    • 6,331 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:28 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:28 AM
    Download LibreOffice or Open Office. Both fully compatible with MS office and free.
    Originally posted by steviebabes

That's completely wrong. The two office suites are NOT fully compatible with each other.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 13th Jan 19, 7:29 AM
    • 8,584 Posts
    • 6,331 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:29 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:29 AM
    I want to be able to open a document on one machine save it to a memory stick and then transfer it to the other and open without complications.
    Originally posted by kazmeister

This is possible so long as you don't use certain incompatible features.

There will be complications with documents containing more complicated layouts. For basic text formatting, you'll be fine.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 13th Jan 19, 8:47 AM
    • 3,410 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:47 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:47 AM
    That's completely wrong. The two office suites are NOT fully compatible with each other.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    I use OpenOffice and as far as I am aware any macros I wrote in excel do not work at all when the file is opened with OpenOffice.
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 13th Jan 19, 9:32 AM
    • 5,947 Posts
    • 2,373 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:32 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:32 AM
    I bought office 2016 for less than a fiver a couple of years ago from eBay or just use office online for free
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 13th Jan 19, 9:42 AM
    • 3,810 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:42 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:42 AM
    No need for MS office unless you are using advanced functions. Download LibreOffice or Open Office. Both fully compatible with MS office and free.
    Originally posted by steviebabes
    No, not "fully compatible" not by a long way!

They are fine if you are just producing your own fairly basic stuff. However, as soon as you start interacting with others using the real thing or want to use company or university supplied templates etc you will start to experience all kinds of compatibility issues.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 13th Jan 19, 9:44 AM
    • 3,810 Posts
    • 3,419 Thanks
    Undervalued
    Thanks for the comments so far. I haven't tried the LibreOffice as I had read that it isn't always compatible with Office documents.

I will ask at work though, thanks.
    What you read is correct!
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 13th Jan 19, 10:32 AM
    • 2,436 Posts
    • 1,422 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    Hi

I am looking for help in obtaining a Microsoft Office package for a new (basic) laptop. I wont be a massive user but do need this so that I can share documents/templates between my work laptop and my personal one.

I am totally confused as never having owned my own laptop prior to now, I thought that you could just buy what you required, install and that would be it. It now seems as if there is not just Office but Office 365 as well (not sure I need this, we have it at work and its above my head) and you either purchase for a year or pay monthly. I also saw a suggestion that you can order off Amazon. My laptop is a Lenovo ideapad 330 and does not have a disc drive so I am unable to install an old disc version we have of Office Home and Student.

Ideally I would like to pay a one off price for purchase, or a very cheap monthly payment.

Please can anyone make any recommendations.

TIA

Using another computer copy the contents of the disk to a USB memory stick and install it from there, assuming it has not exceeded the licensed users allowed, sometimes three computer are allowed but depends on what version you actually have.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 13th Jan 19, 10:44 AM
    • 23,040 Posts
    • 57,818 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    I bought office 2016 for less than a fiver a couple of years ago from eBay or just use office online for free
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac
    As I don't need to use my laptop when on the move (i.e.only when on wifi), I use Office Online too. Free with a microsoft login.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 13th Jan 19, 11:10 AM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 881 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    A couple of issues here... adding an external DVD reader/writer costs around £12 for a USB powered one from eBay. I bought one for my Dell desktop recently, it is a “business” PC that only had a DVD reader.

Secondly, copying files from home to work on a USB stick will have your IT department going purple... any company or organisation worth its salt will either have disabled USB or restrict its use to specific encrypted USB sticks, it’s a huge security risk from both malicious software and sensitive material being leaked/lost.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 13th Jan 19, 12:28 PM
    • 2,436 Posts
    • 1,422 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    A couple of issues here... adding an external DVD reader/writer costs around £12 for a USB powered one from eBay. I bought one for my Dell desktop recently, it is a “business” PC that only had a DVD reader.

Secondly, copying files from home to work on a USB stick will have your IT department going purple... any company or organisation worth its salt will either have disabled USB or restrict its use to specific encrypted USB sticks, it’s a huge security risk from both malicious software and sensitive material being leaked/lost.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north

Who mentioned company PC's, oh you did.

As for disabling USB ports, I visit numerous companies and occasionally have to install software or copy off data and the only organisation I have come across that restricts USB access is the MOD.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 13th Jan 19, 1:24 PM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 881 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    The OP mentioned it yesterday, read the posts before criticism.
    ”I want to be able to open a document on one machine save it to a memory stick and then transfer it to the other and open without complications.”

It’s not just the MOD that lock down USB ports, still you know best.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 13th Jan 19, 1:40 PM
    • 2,436 Posts
    • 1,422 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    The OP mentioned it yesterday, read the posts before criticism.
    ”I want to be able to open a document on one machine save it to a memory stick and then transfer it to the other and open without complications.”

It’s not just the MOD that lock down USB ports, still you know best.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north

I did not say it was, I said they were the only time I had come across it.
    • J B
    • By J B 13th Jan 19, 7:20 PM
    • 3,136 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    J B
    ........... does not have a disc drive so I am unable to install an old disc version we have of Office Home and Student.

Which year's version of Office do you have?

You could download it and then enter the key that you already have.
    • that
    • By that 13th Jan 19, 9:27 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    that
    I use OpenOffice and as far as I am aware any macros I wrote in excel do not work at all when the file is opened with OpenOffice.
    Originally posted by Tom99
    MS's own versions of excel sheets are sometimes not even backward compatible with newer versions.
    • hyubh
    • By hyubh 13th Jan 19, 9:38 PM
    • 2,343 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    hyubh
    LibreOffice will allow you to open a Word, Excel or PowerPoint file fine. The problem will be if you then want to edit it, and have things appear as if you had edited the file in the original application - it's not that even advanced features aren't implemented in LibreOffice, it's that the implementation of those features will obviously be different, which makes things appearing 'a bit odd' will be a running issue.

Basically, if you want to be able to edit MS Office files without worrying about whether the changes will appear as intended by the recipient, you need a copy of Office itself. If so, go for Office Home & Student 2019, i.e. the 'perpetual licence' version, rather than Office 365, which is the annual subscription version.
    • hyubh
    • By hyubh 13th Jan 19, 9:43 PM
    • 2,343 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    hyubh
    MS's own versions of excel sheets are sometimes not even backward compatible with newer versions.
    Originally posted by that
    Not true in any substantive sense... clearly, if you use the odd new function added in 20 years, it's not going to be compatible with an old version, however you can quite easily work with .xls files created in Excel 97 and for the changes to be 'roundtripable'.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,111Posts Today

8,543Users online

Martin's Twitter