Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BongoW
    • By BongoW 12th Jan 19, 9:39 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    BongoW
    Moving into new house
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:39 PM
    Moving into new house 12th Jan 19 at 9:39 PM
    Iím a first time buyer moving into my new home next week. When I move in, after taking meter readings for the energy providers, am I obliged to stay with those providers until the end of any contracts already agreed with the previous owner or can I switch to the best deal from other suppliers straightaway?
    Thanks!
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Jan 19, 9:46 PM
    • 18,100 Posts
    • 46,145 Thanks
    elsien
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:46 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:46 PM
    Any previous contracts end when the person moves out. As a new customer you'll probably be plonked onto a standard tariff so it would probably benefit you to start looking at new tariffs fairly promptly.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Sligo Smokey
    • By Sligo Smokey 12th Jan 19, 10:21 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Sligo Smokey
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:21 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:21 PM
    of course not! search for the best supplier, best deal. Look for a discount every single year.....you would be mad not to.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 12th Jan 19, 10:26 PM
    • 1,430 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:26 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:26 PM
    You will need to register with the current suppliers, after which you're free to switch. In the meantime you can change tariff with the existing suppliers, just make sure there are no exit fees on whichever tariff you choose.
    • BongoW
    • By BongoW 14th Jan 19, 7:27 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BongoW
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:27 PM
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:27 PM
    Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I’ve just found out that the owners of the house I’m buying are with Economy Energy, now taken over by OVO. I’m reading all manner of dreadful stories about OVO and the tariffs they’re putting ex Economy customers on and how long any switches will take. I’m guessing I’ll have to set up payment details with OVO and then arrange a switch ASAP?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,691Posts Today

8,260Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin