Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fleetingmind
    • By fleetingmind 12th Jan 19, 9:31 PM
    • 416Posts
    • 59Thanks
    fleetingmind
    Velux Windows Replacements & Power
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:31 PM
    Velux Windows Replacements & Power 12th Jan 19 at 9:31 PM
    New House the main bedroom has a high vaulted ceiling and 2 velux in them. They must be 25+ years old and you need long polls to open/close the window and blind. They let in too much noise and you can see patches where previous owners left them open and it rained.

So I want to get new ones which are electric, rain sensor and have electric blinds.

As there is no ceiling fan I'm not sure how you'd power them. Would I need to get a electrician to put power to them or can you get decent solar powered ones?

Do you also just buy through Velux or can shop around?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Jan 19, 9:29 AM
    • 26,458 Posts
    • 71,132 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:29 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:29 AM
    Don't buy direct from velux, it would cost lots more than elsewhere. I usually use Building Supllies Online or Roofing Superstore for ours, depending on who is cheaper on the day.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • fleetingmind
    • By fleetingmind 13th Jan 19, 10:48 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    fleetingmind
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:48 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:48 PM
    Don't buy direct from velux, it would cost lots more than elsewhere. I usually use Building Supllies Online or Roofing Superstore for ours, depending on who is cheaper on the day.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    Great thank you!

Do you know if you want them to operate by remote control do you have to have electricity to them or can you use the solar packs?
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 13th Jan 19, 11:08 PM
    • 2,230 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:08 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:08 PM
    Great thank you!

Do you know if you want them to operate by remote control do you have to have electricity to them or can you use the solar packs?
    Originally posted by fleetingmind

Expensive!

Velux Integra Solar Powered GGU 007030 MK04 Centre Pivot Electric Window 78 x 98 Product code: GGU MK04 007030

https://www.building-supplies-online.co.uk/velux-integra-ggu-007030-mk04-electric-window-78-x-98.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiA4 OvhBRAjEiwAU2FoJafBpbk77ePC3-196hxjPlmE_pGpR4kZ5bnPz9MbshrVtkT04Q1P_BoChlsQAvD_ BwE

• fleetingmind
    • By fleetingmind 14th Jan 19, 7:07 AM
    • 416 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    fleetingmind
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:07 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 7:07 AM
    Sadly I know it's not going to be cheap. But the only way to operate them is either by a long pole or moving to electric ones.
    I'm just not sure if going for the solar options negates the need for a electric supply and if so any cheaper than getting an electrian to put power up there and getting normal electric ones.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 14th Jan 19, 10:51 AM
    • 2,230 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 14th Jan 19, 10:51 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 10:51 AM
    Sadly I know it's not going to be cheap. But the only way to operate them is either by a long pole or moving to electric ones.
    I'm just not sure if going for the solar options negates the need for a electric supply and if so any cheaper than getting an electrian to put power up there and getting normal electric ones.
    Originally posted by fleetingmind

I am guessing that the solar ones would have some type of battery, which might need replacing every 5 years or so.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

832Posts Today

6,587Users online

Martin's Twitter