Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fh2901
    • By fh2901 12th Jan 19, 9:17 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 32Thanks
    fh2901
    Making 100/month work as hard as possible!
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:17 PM
    Making 100/month work as hard as possible! 12th Jan 19 at 9:17 PM
    Hi, hope I'm not going to be ridiculed, seeing the amounts some people save! I save 100 monthly into a "car" account. Mainly to cover depreciation, for when I next change cars, but also as a backstop for any unexpected bills.

I had a Regular Saver account linked to my First Direct 1st account, which matured just as I needed it for my latest car change. I now need to set up something new. The issue I had with the FD account was that it locked in the money, which I'd like to avoid if possible (OK to be limited to one or two withdrawals p/a), and I'd also like something I don't need to replace every year.

Happy to move my "bills / DDs" current account away from Halifax, if that gives me access to better rates; I nearly went back to Santander with their Regular e-Saver, but there are so many other options, I got account-blindness and gave up!

Any tips at all, please? Current institutions I have accounts with: Post Office (CC), Sainsbury's Bank (CC, to be cancelled once the 0% deal expires in June), various First Direct, Coventry mortgage, Halifax current acc.
Page 1
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 12th Jan 19, 9:27 PM
    • 30,415 Posts
    • 18,316 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:27 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:27 PM
    Nationwide regular saver pays 5% on up to 250/mth. Same 5% rate as FD but can withdraw for emergencies.

Just get yourself an eligible main account with them first. If you do decide to switch to Nationwide get yourself referred by a friend for 100 each.
    Last edited by YorkshireBoy; 12-01-2019 at 9:29 PM.
    • fh2901
    • By fh2901 12th Jan 19, 9:56 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    fh2901
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:56 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:56 PM
    If you do decide to switch to Nationwide get yourself referred by a friend for 100 each.
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    Thanks for the tip - my Mum's with Nationwide, so I could ask her to refer me.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Jan 19, 10:33 PM
    • 4,021 Posts
    • 10,788 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:33 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:33 PM
    I've just opened a TSB current account which pays 5% on balances up to 1500. You don't have to switch and the only requirements are to pay in 500 a month (can be the same 500 going out and back in again) and to sign up for paperless/online banking.

Open it in branch if you go for that one, their IT is terrible but the branch staff are really good.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,188Posts Today

8,180Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin