Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Redhaze
    • By Redhaze 12th Jan 19, 9:15 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Redhaze
    Flatmate issue
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:15 PM
    Flatmate issue 12th Jan 19 at 9:15 PM
    I've just had a new flatmate move in and I need to have what probably isn't going to be an easy conversation with her. This evening I had a bath and when I got out she was in the living room eating her dinner and watching her tablet (odd as there is a TV in there, but I digress..). I have an incredibly bad back and it's painful for me to sit in my room on the bed as opposed to on a sofa. I also (without being horrible) do not wish to have a close relationship with her. She seems very nice but I just like a lot of time to myself and pretty much want to do my own thing when I am at home. So I was thinking I'd tell her that I would prefer it if she doesn't use the living room, unless I am out. My parents own the flat so I would think that this gives me a degree of seniority.

When I was a lodger I respected that the living room was my landlady's space and rarely went in there. I mentioned this to my boyfriend and he said "there is no way of saying that to her that won't make her feel unwelcome" so I really don't know what to do. If I don't say something I know I'll get resentful about being relegated to my room and I don't really have any desire to hang out or watch TV with her. How can I get my point across without upsetting her? Any and all help would be much appreciated.
Page 2
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 13th Jan 19, 9:56 AM
    • 16,323 Posts
    • 22,482 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    I'm calling a troll post...

(Fake news)
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Jumblebumble
    • By Jumblebumble 13th Jan 19, 11:46 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Jumblebumble
    Had it occured to you that probably she would prefer if you did not use the living room unless she is out as well!
    It comes down to the contract.
    JumbleBumble
    • Sibz
    • By Sibz 13th Jan 19, 5:29 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    Sibz
    I hope she isn't using your toilet too!!!

The nerve of some people sitting on a sofa minding their own business... Perhaps you should dig a pit where you could keep other tenants
    • Facknats
    • By Facknats 13th Jan 19, 5:43 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Facknats
    TLDR; my parents let me live rent free and I'm throwing toys out of the pram because they've arranged a way to pay for it all

Poor girl! Come lodge with me, not the entitled meanie genie
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 13th Jan 19, 6:13 PM
    • 690 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    diggingdude
    I think it's a disgrace how people paying money expect things for it
    Free TV Fund - February £973
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 13th Jan 19, 11:55 PM
    • 3,324 Posts
    • 3,298 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    I'm calling a troll post...

(Fake news)
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    Arr it can happen. I had to find somewhere for 2 months for a placement for uni. When signing up she was fine. On moving in she told me I couldnít walk through the house with shoes on, had to leave them outside, she would hoover at all hours but complain if I had the radio on in my room past 10pm, used to put the ladder up (it was an attic room) so I had to lift it down all the time. She only liked her radio station on, I couldnít watch tv but like I say none of this was mentioned on the advert online or on me signing up so it does happen
    roll on 27th April 2019 or there abouts *34 done* = *6 to go*
    • armchaireconomist
    • By armchaireconomist 14th Jan 19, 12:21 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    armchaireconomist
    Hang on, so your parents own the place and you share it with a flatmate. But you don't like being "resigned" to your own room but you want to send her there when it suits you because you have "seniority"? Poor woman.

You sound entitled and insufferable. Reality check needed.
    • oozle1989
    • By oozle1989 14th Jan 19, 1:39 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    oozle1989
    You've obviously been enjoying having sole use of the flat up until now but now mum and dad have stuck another tenant in there and you don't like it.

Why don't you actually try to make an effort to get to know the girl. You never know you might actually become good friends. You haven't even given her a chance yet.

Either that or buy a comfy chair for your room and accept the fact you will likely have to spend majority of your time in there if you want to be alone.

Or get your own place.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,350Posts Today

7,178Users online

Martin's Twitter