Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UserName123
    • By UserName123 12th Jan 19, 8:24 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 2Thanks
    UserName123
    Time of sick
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:24 PM
    Time of sick 12th Jan 19 at 8:24 PM
    Iíve been in my current role for 6 months. Iíve been ill with colds since late November and Friday I felt awful and should have asked to go home as I was too ill. Iíve called 111 and they said I donít need to see a doctor atm but I do need rest.

My department donít seem to be keen on people taking sick days so Iím a bit worried about taking time of. The sickness policy at work is two incidences in 6 months, which I will now trigger. The other incident was when I got knocked of my bike on my way to work, so that was genuine as I did go to work and leave shortly after.

I know I wonít be sacked or anything, and can self certificate for up to a week but because of the culture of the job I donít know if they will think my illness doesnít warrent time of work. Itís my first job in an office, Iím used to working remotely so if I was il I would work for a few hours, rest etc.

My work colleagues wonít be under stress as itís a really quite time of year.

Can anyone give me reassuranc or tips? No one else takes time of work in my department, they were even given extra holiday fornit having any sickness in a year.
Page 2
    • Labsuper
    • By Labsuper 13th Jan 19, 12:46 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    Labsuper
    And I also didnít say I went to work and spent the whole day with my head on the desk.
    Originally posted by UserName123
    No you said you spent most of the day with your head on the desk. That's not what you are paid to do.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 13th Jan 19, 1:21 PM
    • 4,073 Posts
    • 10,994 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    And I also didnít say I went to work and spent the whole day with my head on the desk.
    No, just "most of the day" which is totally fine!

• JCS1
    • By JCS1 13th Jan 19, 1:29 PM
    • 3,842 Posts
    • 7,825 Thanks
    JCS1
    Hi @soolin as I said previously in the thread I donít think I would be sacked for taking some sickness days because they wouldnít be able to fill my position as the director will say no. It was hard enough to get my position refilled and there is a ban on spending atm. Thank goodness you arenít a manager as you sound like a right idiot.

So no my boss wouldnít sack me imo for taking a few days of sick when Iíve been coming into work with my cold, couching and sneezing for the past 6 weeks and even commming n in Friday when I was feeling dreadful and had an awful dry cough.

To the other posters I also got knocked of my bike that morning and I still came into work. It was my boss who told me to seek medical help.
    You really attacking a board guide like that?

As was pointed out, you can be dismissed in the first 2 years for no reason. Having a sick note does not protect you in anyway.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 13th Jan 19, 1:35 PM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 4,796 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Hi @soolin as I said previously in the thread I donít think I would be sacked for taking some sickness days because they wouldnít be able to fill my position as the director will say no. It was hard enough to get my position refilled and there is a ban on spending atm. Thank goodness you arenít a manager as you sound like a right idiot.

So no my boss wouldnít sack me imo for taking a few days of sick when Iíve been coming into work with my cold, couching and sneezing for the past 6 weeks and even commming n in Friday when I was feeling dreadful and had an awful dry cough.

To the other posters I also got knocked of my bike that morning and I still came into work. It was my boss who told me to seek medical help.
    From a company perspective which is better? A worker that they can not place any reliance on or no worker at all?

I would go for the 2nd option as that way you know exactly where you stand and be able to put solid contingencies in place to deal with it..

Your belief that you are indispensable are badly misplaced.
    • UserName123
    • By UserName123 13th Jan 19, 1:58 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    UserName123
    Once again the majority of the people on this board go on the attack mode instead of being in the real work world.

I’ve never said my role was indespensable, no ones role is. I don’t appreciate certain members of this board attacking a genuine illness and saying I’m not working within the policy and procedures of the company, which I am.

FYI the sickness policy is two incidences within a six month period triggers a sickness reviews. My boss wouldn’t sack me imo for a genuine illness. If he does, so what. My health is more important and if he’s going to go above company policy so what. I’ll just find another job.
    • UserName123
    • By UserName123 13th Jan 19, 2:00 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    UserName123
    No @JCS1 heís placing scare tactics into me. If they werenít happy with my work they would take measures to sack me, taking a few days of because Iím sick isnít going to be a catylist. And so what if it is, obviously not the right job and Iím wasting my time and Iíll find something more stable.
    • swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 13th Jan 19, 2:03 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 3,577 Thanks
    swingaloo
    Wow what attitude! Calling someone an idiot for giving you good advice.

If you are indispensable then how on earth have they been managing without you during your prolonged episodes of sickness.

Siting with your head on the desk when you should be working, I bet you are popular with your colleagues. the same colleagues incidentally that are doing your work whilst you are off. Wont be long till the management realise that the work is getting done without you there and so they do not actually need you.

Just what value are you to the company?
    • swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 13th Jan 19, 2:05 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 3,577 Thanks
    swingaloo
    No @JCS1 heís placing scare tactics into me. If they werenít happy with my work they would take measures to sack me, taking a few days of because Iím sick isnít going to be a catylist. And so what if it is, obviously not the right job and Iím wasting my time and Iíll find something more stable.

Im afraid that if you think that you will find a company with stable employment that will accept your sickness record and sitting with your head on the desk acceptable then you are seriously deluded.
    • UserName123
    • By UserName123 13th Jan 19, 2:06 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    UserName123
    @theoretica thatís a hard one as I sleep until late morning Saturday from 4pm. So who knows if the sleep has helped me recover and Iíll be ok tomorrow morning. On Friday I should have gone home because I wasnít ok being at work. I was too fatigued and aching all over. A monster 18 hour sleep shows I was ill.

Perhaps itís worth while going to the doctor Monday and still going into work if they give me the Ok?

What do you suggest? Itís just Iím used to working from home/shared space and now I have to be physically somewhere so Iím not sure what the ďnormĒ is.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 13th Jan 19, 2:29 PM
    • 5,701 Posts
    • 7,014 Thanks
    theoretica
    I suggest you go to the doctor if you don't feel well enough to work on Monday - or try to, I don't know how easy it is to get appointments where you are. You have tried resting, probably quite a bit since November, and it seems like you might need something more. There is little point continuing with something that isn't really working for you, without investigating other options.

It is 'the norm' to go in to work in offices with most colds, but it is not the norm to have colds constantly for months.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 13th Jan 19, 2:32 PM
    • 1,638 Posts
    • 3,052 Thanks
    nicechap
    Iíve been in my current role for 6 months. Iíve been ill with colds since late November and Friday I felt awful and should have asked to go home as I was too ill. Iíve called 111 and they said I donít need to see a doctor atm but I do need rest.

My department donít seem to be keen on people taking sick days so Iím a bit worried about taking time of. The sickness policy at work is two incidences in 6 months, which I will now trigger. The other incident was when I got knocked of my bike on my way to work, so that was genuine as I did go to work and leave shortly after.

I know I wonít be sacked or anything, and can self certificate for up to a week but because of the culture of the job I donít know if they will think my illness doesnít warrent time of work. Itís my first job in an office, Iím used to working remotely so if I was il I would work for a few hours, rest etc.

My work colleagues wonít be under stress as itís a really quite time of year.

Can anyone give me reassuranc or tips? No one else takes time of work in my department, they were even given extra holiday fornit having any sickness in a year.
    Not sure how you know no one else takes time off - you weren't there this time last year or the year before. From your other posts you don't know what the "norm" is which makes it even more bizarre seeking tips on what to do.

If you are sick you are sick, don't be selfish and infect others. If you end up not meeting the job's requirements let someone else have a go at doing it.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered youíll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ĎLetís Make it Fair!í tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 13th Jan 19, 3:39 PM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 5,199 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    Once again the majority of the people on this board go on the attack mode instead of being in the real work world.

Iíve never said my role was indespensable, no ones role is. I donít appreciate certain members of this board attacking a genuine illness and saying Iím not working within the policy and procedures of the company, which I am.

FYI the sickness policy is two incidences within a six month period triggers a sickness reviews. My boss wouldnít sack me imo for a genuine illness. If he does, so what. My health is more important and if heís going to go above company policy so what. Iíll just find another job.
    Those two 'so what' comments demonstrate an awful lot about the mindset of the OP.
    • UserName123
    • By UserName123 13th Jan 19, 5:15 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    UserName123
    @nicechap I’ve spoken to the team and what they’ve told me about sickness. I’ve also asked why they don’t take time of sick when they are coughing all around me.... as are half a dozen other people in the building.

@Lioness Twinkletoes is what? I’ll find another job. The company offers full sickness pay for a reason. I’m skilled and can find another job, my health is more important than continuing a cycle of being ill.
    • UserName123
    • By UserName123 13th Jan 19, 5:24 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    UserName123
    Thanks @theoretica

I’ve heard as I will now trigger a sickness review it’s better to be of for a longer period of time rather than a couple of shorter instances. So should I take the week of, instead of however many days it takes me to feel better? That seems a bit silly but
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 13th Jan 19, 7:01 PM
    • 5,701 Posts
    • 7,014 Thanks
    theoretica
    Thanks @theoretica

Iíve heard as I will now trigger a sickness review itís better to be of for a longer period of time rather than a couple of shorter instances. So should I take the week of, instead of however many days it takes me to feel better? That seems a bit silly but

More than a bit silly - all the way to thanks for the laugh!
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Jane_B
    • By Jane_B 14th Jan 19, 1:58 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Jane_B
    I am surprised by some of these comments (although from reading through a few threads I shouldn't be) I don't understand those saying 'with your sickness record good luck finding another job' 2 incidences of sickness is hardly a sickness record!

I am glad I don't work where some of these posters do (or work for them) if that's the attitude some places having in regards to sickness. Everywhere I have ever worked have actively told you to take time off if ill, come in with a sniffle get sent home! and being ill at your desk (head on desk) is hardly odd/pathetic if you're ill and worried about taking time off, that's exactly what can happen.

OP if you are ill, you are ill - no point worrying about work, your health is more important - focus on that!
    • Exodi
    • By Exodi 14th Jan 19, 2:03 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    Exodi
    Lordy, where to start!

asked to go home as I was too ill. Iíve called 111 and they said I donít need to see a doctor.
    The other incident was when I got knocked of my bike on my way to work, so that was genuine
    Glad to hear the bike incident was 'genuine'

Thank goodness you arenít a manager as you sound like a right idiot.
    Nice, I definitely think these forums need more attacks on people who offer advice in their free time.

they wouldnít be able to fill my position as the director will say no. It was hard enough to get my position refilled and there is a ban on spending atm.
    If that was me, I'd be absolutely bricking myself that the company is going through financial troubles and the director doesn't want my position.

But somehow, you've turned it into being indispensable? Personally, I wouldn't say your optimistic, I think your naive.

Iíve heard as I will now trigger a sickness review
    It's comical how the start of this thread you portray being completely indispensable and then later on begin to be like "so what if I'm sacked, I don't care!". Coupled with the above sounding like you've just been asked to attend a formal sickness review.

Good luck with everything though, I'm privileged that I never really get ill so I'm admittedly ignorant to sickness issues.
    Know what you don't
    • UserName123
    • By UserName123 14th Jan 19, 2:34 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    UserName123
    @Exodi perhaps keep what was said in context?

Also it’s not unusual for directors to cut all spending, its part of their job.
    • UserName123
    • By UserName123 14th Jan 19, 2:36 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    UserName123
    Thank you @Jane_B I’ve been a lurker on this forum for many years and it’s helped me a lot with money issues. There do seem to be a few angry people who do like to scare people or plain argumentative.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 14th Jan 19, 4:13 PM
    • 11,635 Posts
    • 10,059 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I am surprised by some of these comments (although from reading through a few threads I shouldn't be) I don't understand those saying 'with your sickness record good luck finding another job' 2 incidences of sickness is hardly a sickness record!

I am glad I don't work where some of these posters do (or work for them) if that's the attitude some places having in regards to sickness. Everywhere I have ever worked have actively told you to take time off if ill, come in with a sniffle get sent home! and being ill at your desk (head on desk) is hardly odd/pathetic if you're ill and worried about taking time off, that's exactly what can happen.

OP if you are ill, you are ill - no point worrying about work, your health is more important - focus on that!
    Originally posted by Jane_B
    In recent years, many employers (including the Civil Service) have adopted a very rigid policy of allowing only a few sick days in a 12 month period. Exceed that amount and you can be facing a warning or dismissal. Hence the comments of good luck in finding another job.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,246Posts Today

6,966Users online

Martin's Twitter