Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UserName123
    • By UserName123 12th Jan 19, 8:24 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 2Thanks
    UserName123
    Time of sick
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:24 PM
    Time of sick 12th Jan 19 at 8:24 PM
    Iíve been in my current role for 6 months. Iíve been ill with colds since late November and Friday I felt awful and should have asked to go home as I was too ill. Iíve called 111 and they said I donít need to see a doctor atm but I do need rest.

My department donít seem to be keen on people taking sick days so Iím a bit worried about taking time of. The sickness policy at work is two incidences in 6 months, which I will now trigger. The other incident was when I got knocked of my bike on my way to work, so that was genuine as I did go to work and leave shortly after.

I know I wonít be sacked or anything, and can self certificate for up to a week but because of the culture of the job I donít know if they will think my illness doesnít warrent time of work. Itís my first job in an office, Iím used to working remotely so if I was il I would work for a few hours, rest etc.

My work colleagues wonít be under stress as itís a really quite time of year.

Can anyone give me reassuranc or tips? No one else takes time of work in my department, they were even given extra holiday fornit having any sickness in a year.
Page 1
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 12th Jan 19, 8:33 PM
    • 3,982 Posts
    • 3,447 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:33 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:33 PM
    Don't think anyone can give you the re-assurance you want with only 6 months service.

Personally I would ignore 111 advice and make docs appointment and get signed off if needed. Being ill since November isn't a normal cold.
    • UserName123
    • By UserName123 12th Jan 19, 8:52 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    UserName123
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:52 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:52 PM
    ^oh I won’t loose my job, that’s not my concern.
    Yes I should go to the GP Monday.
    • UserName123
    • By UserName123 12th Jan 19, 8:54 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    UserName123
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:54 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:54 PM
    Just to be clear I work in a small
    Department and I’ve been working remotely for many years so I don’t know what is “normal” or not.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 12th Jan 19, 9:04 PM
    • 2,101 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:04 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:04 PM
    Personally I would ignore 111 advice and make docs appointment and get signed off if needed.
    Originally posted by BoGoF

Being signed off does not make you unsackable (not that the OP seems concerned there).

Also the GP will say. You can self certificate for a week come back if you are still ill and stop wasting my time (OP if you really have just a cold (and yes they can be bad and require time off work) do not waste GP time please, though you sound like you have a compromised immune system so if you have not it might be worth investigating).
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 12th Jan 19, 9:28 PM
    • 6,099 Posts
    • 6,813 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:28 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:28 PM
    If you have been feeling ill since November you really should be seeing your GP as there could be a serious underlying issue. As said above, colds don't last nearly 2 months.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 12th Jan 19, 9:50 PM
    • 5,688 Posts
    • 7,002 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:50 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:50 PM
    Of course employers don't like people being off - they employ you because they want you working. But unless your colleagues are very unobservant they will have noticed you are suffering and not be surprised you are off. You will be more productive if you can get well.

If you have been ill since November then I don't think Monday off, giving you a 3 day weekend is likely to cure it - you hopefully had a few days rest over Christmas and the New Year - and you have given it a more than fair chance to get better by itself. Your doctor won't feel you are wasting their time with an appointment.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • UserName123
    • By UserName123 12th Jan 19, 10:37 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    UserName123
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:37 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:37 PM
    Thanks everyone. I had the usual stat days of over Christmas and new year. I felt ok to work generally, although I would have felt appreciated if I had time of work as usually I would been on bed rest and recovered in a somewhat normal time frame.

However as the guy next to me went to work when he had a ďterrible coldĒ and three people around me went to work with sniffles etc, I thought it was ďnormalĒ to go to work with a cold. (Team of 7)

I donít know if Iím getting a cold straight after each other or I have a compromised immune system. I did feel absolutely awful Friday and did have my head on the desk most of the day. Not sure if my boss saw me but the person sitting next to me did.

Iím not having a dilusion of grandeur but I wonít be sacked because the directors wonít allow my position to be re-filled. Obviously if I do something bad then they would have to sack me but having a genuine illness isnít a reason to sack someone when they havenít been of work and wouldnít be of work long term.

Would it be better to get a doctor to sign me of or will they not when Iím in a period of self certificate?
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 12th Jan 19, 10:47 PM
    • 6,099 Posts
    • 6,813 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:47 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 10:47 PM
    It's not necessarily a case of getting signed off, but you should make an appointment to see your GP if you have been experiencing repeated periods of illness. The GP may want to get blood tests done to ensure there isn't a serious underlying problem. Arrange the appointment out of office hours if possible, otherwise let your boss know you have an appointment during the day as it's the only time available.
    • UserName123
    • By UserName123 12th Jan 19, 11:01 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    UserName123
    ^thanks.
    I’m not going to work Monday. I’m sick of being ill and I need to break the cycle.
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 13th Jan 19, 9:04 AM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 5,178 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    I did feel absolutely awful Friday and did have my head on the desk most of the day. Not sure if my boss saw me but the person sitting next to me did.
    Originally posted by UserName123
    That's so dramatic it's laughable. If I were your manager, I'd be telling you to sit up and do your work or make the decision you are too ill to work and go home. I pity the colleague having to sit next to such amateur dramatics.

Iím not having a dilusion of grandeur but I wonít be sacked because the directors wonít allow my position to be re-filled. Obviously if I do something bad then they would have to sack me but having a genuine illness isnít a reason to sack someone when they havenít been of work and wouldnít be of work long term.
    You are wrong here. A person that has had two incidence of sick leave in six months would be ringing alarm bells with me. You are not indispensable - and in fact, you're not in the least bit reliable at the moment. Be under no illusion you can be sacked for excessive sickness.

Would it be better to get a doctor to sign me of or will they not when Iím in a period of self certificate?
    You self certificate for up to seven days. Then you'll need to be signed off by a Doctor.

Given that you've had a cold since November, I'd suggest you make an appointment with your Doctor as this isn't normal. Don't think it will make any difference with your employers though. If they've had enough of your sickness a Fit Note from your Doctor won't make a jot of difference.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 13th Jan 19, 9:53 AM
    • 4,073 Posts
    • 10,993 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Thanks everyone. I had the usual stat days of over Christmas and new year. I felt ok to work generally, although I would have felt appreciated if I had time of work as usually I would been on bed rest and recovered in a somewhat normal time frame.

However as the guy next to me went to work when he had a ďterrible coldĒ and three people around me went to work with sniffles etc, I thought it was ďnormalĒ to go to work with a cold. (Team of 7)

I donít know if Iím getting a cold straight after each other or I have a compromised immune system. I did feel absolutely awful Friday and did have my head on the desk most of the day. Not sure if my boss saw me but the person sitting next to me did.
    If you have an office job then yes it is normal to go to work with a cold. You take a box of tissues, a little bottle of hand sanitiser (for the sake of your colleagues), have some paracetamol and get on with it.

Its definitely not normal to go to work and spend the day with your head on the desk, that is utterly ridiculous.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 13th Jan 19, 9:58 AM
    • 61,706 Posts
    • 44,222 Thanks
    soolin
    It's harsh but I think OP needs to seriously re consider his stance here re time off and GP certification.

Having time off for ' a cold' is rarely seen in a sympathetic light nowadays and with so little employment time and an earlier period of sickness I would proceed with caution.

To me that makes it all the more important to get to see a GP, anyone will do, do you have a walk in centre for instance? A GP certificate stating something other than ' a cold' will look better when any consideration is made about future employment. I have HR experience (in the past) and a self certification for anything longer than a day, two at most for ' a cold' would trigger an automatic employment review.

I am also very concerned by the statement in the OP 'I know I won’t be sacked or anything' which either means the OP knows something else that we don't, or else OP believes (as has been mentioned) that being sick protects you from being let go.

The reality also might be that if the OP has worked alone at home for a while they may catch any little bug or cold going once they work in a modern office with others. To many of us having colds and feeling awful at work for a period each winter becomes fairly normal . I was at work on Friday with several people who had very heavy colds and who were working , topped up with lemsip and day nurse, as normal. No doubt at some point this winter I too will get a cold (although the older I get the less I seem to get) and will sit on the tube feeling very sorry for myself.

I know we are not allowed to offer medical advise but OP, look at ways to increase your resistance to common colds, or at least reduce the symptoms, different things work for different people, some swear by Vitamin C pills or other vitamins, or just make sure you eat healthily and remain fit.
    Last edited by soolin; 13-01-2019 at 10:00 AM.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • UserName123
    • By UserName123 13th Jan 19, 11:49 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    UserName123
    Hi @soolin as I said previously in the thread I don’t think I would be sacked for taking some sickness days because they wouldn’t be able to fill my position as the director will say no. It was hard enough to get my position refilled and there is a ban on spending atm. Thank goodness you aren’t a manager as you sound like a right idiot.

So no my boss wouldn’t sack me imo for taking a few days of sick when I’ve been coming into work with my cold, couching and sneezing for the past 6 weeks and even commming n in Friday when I was feeling dreadful and had an awful dry cough.

To the other posters I also got knocked of my bike that morning and I still came into work. It was my boss who told me to seek medical help.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 13th Jan 19, 11:50 AM
    • 5,688 Posts
    • 7,002 Thanks
    theoretica
    ^thanks.
    Iím not going to work Monday. Iím sick of being ill and I need to break the cycle.

What do you expect Monday off to do that Saturday and Sunday off will not?
    Lewis Carroll
    • UserName123
    • By UserName123 13th Jan 19, 11:57 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    UserName123
    And I also didn’t say I went to work and spent the whole day with my head on the desk.
    • UserName123
    • By UserName123 13th Jan 19, 11:58 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    UserName123
    @theoretica rest at home, sleep to get rid of the virus because clearly it’s not going by itself. And I wouldn’t be taking one day off, until it got suddenly better.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 13th Jan 19, 12:05 PM
    • 61,706 Posts
    • 44,222 Thanks
    soolin
    Hi @soolin as I said previously in the thread I donít think I would be sacked for taking some sickness days because they wouldnít be able to fill my position as the director will say no. It was hard enough to get my position refilled and there is a ban on spending atm. Thank goodness you arenít a manager as you sound like a right idiot.

Well that's me told!

Good luck then with your career, it sounds like you might need it. personally I've never found anyone that has been so important to a role that they were above all the processes and policies, but cest la vie.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 13th Jan 19, 12:20 PM
    • 7,829 Posts
    • 27,872 Thanks
    Nicki
    This is a really good example of glass half full/half empty thinking

“I’m safe in my role because the director didn’t want to fill this post in the first place so if my boss fired me he’d be a man down”

As opposed to

“I need to be squeaky clean at all times because the director thinks my role is not necessary to the business and the rest of my team have lots of capacity at the moment”
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 13th Jan 19, 12:42 PM
    • 5,688 Posts
    • 7,002 Thanks
    theoretica
    @theoretica rest at home, sleep to get rid of the virus because clearly itís not going by itself. And I wouldnít be taking one day off, until it got suddenly better.

You have presumably been doing this since Friday evening - does it feel like it working and only needs a bit more time?
    Lewis Carroll
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

7Posts Today

3,558Users online

Martin's Twitter