Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AA1985
    • By AA1985 12th Jan 19, 8:00 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    AA1985
    Can/Should I remove an Air Vent?
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:00 PM
    Can/Should I remove an Air Vent? 12th Jan 19 at 8:00 PM
    We have recently bought a late Victorian property. The first floor room that will become our children's bedroom has been used for the last 20 years as a lounge. It has a gas fire in the fireplace (working chimney). I am having the gas fire removed (although leaving the decorative surround in place as a feature). I understand I need to put something in the chimney that still allows for ventilation so I don't get damp problems in the chimney breast. In addition to this there is a very large air vent in the corner of the room. It is very draughty and as it is on the front of the house also very noisy with traffic outside (not to mention pollution). Since there will no longer be any working fireplace in the room (gas or any other combustable) can I simply remove the air vent and block it up before we plaster the room? Is there any other reason (other than the gas appliance) that it was there? I appreciate the need to let old houses breathe but this thing is huge and I want the children's bedroom not to be cold and draughty! Many thanks for any advice you can give me
Page 1
    • bris
    • By bris 13th Jan 19, 9:43 AM
    • 8,568 Posts
    • 7,470 Thanks
    bris
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:43 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:43 AM
    The large vent was needed to allow enough air into the room to feed the gas fire. If you remove this fire you no longer need this vent.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 13th Jan 19, 10:24 AM
    • 2,242 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:24 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 10:24 AM
    The large vent was needed to allow enough air into the room to feed the gas fire. If you remove this fire you no longer need this vent.
    Originally posted by bris

I have recently covered the chimney vent in my living room, I believe it has helped in keeping the room warm. I would not cover the vent permanently, during heavy rain water will come down the chimney, so ventilation will be a good thing.
    You can fit cowls to stop rain coming down the chimney. My bedrooms have no chimney vents, but they do have moveable vents on the walls.

• stator
    • By stator 13th Jan 19, 11:17 AM
    • 7,069 Posts
    • 4,850 Thanks
    stator
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:17 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:17 AM
    Do your windows have trickle vents?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • Homersimpson
    • By Homersimpson 13th Jan 19, 12:21 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    Homersimpson
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:21 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:21 PM
    I would block the vent in the external wall off and then block the chimney off and just put a vent from the room to the chimney.

An old house should leak air sufficiently to allow a draught to keep the chimney dry.
    I have a lot of problems with my neighbours, they hammer and bang on the walls sometimes until 2 or 3 in the morning - some nights I can hardly hear myself drilling
    • bris
    • By bris 13th Jan 19, 12:27 PM
    • 8,568 Posts
    • 7,470 Thanks
    bris
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:27 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:27 PM
    I have recently covered the chimney vent in my living room, I believe it has helped in keeping the room warm. I would not cover the vent permanently, during heavy rain water will come down the chimney, so ventilation will be a good thing.
    You can fit cowls to stop rain coming down the chimney. My bedrooms have no chimney vents, but they do have moveable vents on the walls.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Rain is never a problem with chimneys, they are designed to absorb the very little rain that gets in them.

The vents are often removed or covered when gas fires are ripped out.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 13th Jan 19, 5:04 PM
    • 5,573 Posts
    • 3,199 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:04 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 5:04 PM
    Take it out
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • AA1985
    • By AA1985 13th Jan 19, 11:36 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AA1985
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:36 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 11:36 PM
    Im not sure what a trickle vent is?
    • stator
    • By stator 14th Jan 19, 9:46 AM
    • 7,069 Posts
    • 4,850 Thanks
    stator
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:46 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:46 AM
    Im not sure what a trickle vent is?
    Originally posted by AA1985
    It's a slot at the top of your window, usually it can be opened and closed.

It allows small amounts of air in for ventilation.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 15th Jan 19, 9:09 PM
    • 24,340 Posts
    • 27,698 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Please do replace with other forms of ventilation, for example throwing the windows open daily. Damp stale air has the potential to harm your children's health more than a cool bedroom temperature.

If pollution is known to be a major issue on your street, there are ventilation devices that install in the wall and filter/ slightly warm the incoming air. These are generally designed to be 'on' 24/7, not least so they can be suitably quiet when running.

HTH!
    Newbie declutterbug. Trainee Rosie the Riveter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,162Posts Today

6,949Users online

Martin's Twitter