Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ziggywhisk
    • By Ziggywhisk 12th Jan 19, 7:19 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Ziggywhisk
    Selling Property Yourself
    • 12th Jan 19, 7:19 PM
    Selling Property Yourself 12th Jan 19 at 7:19 PM
    Hi everyone,

We're selling our property but obviously don't want to pay estate agent fees :-) we had a valuation from purple bricks today but there's is just something niggling at me not to use them, especially their conveyancing team!

Anybody used House Simple? Trustpilot reviews look good, don't have to use their conveyance team and sell my house for free at the mo apparently?!
    Or just sold your house yourself and paid a company to put it on Rightmove? I worked in an estate agents so have a bit of experience but that was a while ago.

Any help would be massively appreciated...I'm.going slightly mental
Page 1
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 12th Jan 19, 7:43 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 2,569 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 12th Jan 19, 7:43 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 7:43 PM
    I can’t see where you’ve got that they’ll sell for free from. They’re offering a no sale, no fee offer with the fee being £995. You also have to pay for and arrange your own EPC inspection.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 12th Jan 19, 7:50 PM
    • 6,026 Posts
    • 5,757 Thanks
    anselld
    • 12th Jan 19, 7:50 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 7:50 PM
    I can’t see where you’ve got that they’ll sell for free from. They’re offering a no sale, no fee offer with the fee being £995. You also have to pay for and arrange your own EPC inspection.
    Originally posted by da_rule
    Yorkshire offer - https://www.housesimple.com/yorkshire
    • Ziggywhisk
    • By Ziggywhisk 12th Jan 19, 8:12 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ziggywhisk
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:12 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:12 PM
    Going to arrange the EPC myself anyway as it's cheaper 👍
    • Finchy2018
    • By Finchy2018 12th Jan 19, 8:20 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Finchy2018
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:20 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:20 PM
    I guess it depends on how busy you are. Do you have time to progress a sale and are you emotionally attached to your home?
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 13th Jan 19, 12:28 AM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 1,819 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:28 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:28 AM
    I've sold a property for 50p of advertising before... It was an ad in the window of the local newsagent.

This was a quite sought after area about 10 years ago so YMMV.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Jan 19, 2:04 AM
    • 27,096 Posts
    • 97,145 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:04 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:04 AM
    I've sold a property for 50p of advertising before... It was an ad in the window of the local newsagent.

This was a quite sought after area about 10 years ago so YMMV.
    Originally posted by Slithery
    We sold on the local grapevine without even an advert in 1987 and we bought the house behind in the same way.

The first house had become sought-after, but the second one, not so much, because the whole avenue was quirky for the location. Roll on another 30 years and no one cares about quirky any more!

But I wouldn't expect to do that where I am now, although it still happens in the village now & again.
    Gardening is cheaper than psychotherapy.....and you get tomatoes.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 13th Jan 19, 8:11 AM
    • 3,415 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:11 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:11 AM
    I have sold using a local newspaper ad in the past and done my own conveyancing, although I would not do that side today, as prices for conveyancing are much more competitive that they were years ago.
    Most buyers use Rightmove as the 'go to' place to look, so if your property is on Rightmove you probably have 99% coverage of potential buyers if its a run of the mill property you are selling.
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 13th Jan 19, 9:56 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:56 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:56 AM
    Try doorsteps, £99 to get on rightmove is a great deal.
    • martin1959
    • By martin1959 13th Jan 19, 11:27 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    martin1959
    I would not buy a property from someone selling ‘on the cheap’, especially if there is a chain involved. There is just too much too go wrong, and if someone is too tight to pay for a good after sales service with a High St agent, then they will probably be a nightmare to deal with!

Whenever we have bought and sold, it has been the EA that has kept the chain together
    20 plus years as a mortgage adviser for Halifax (have now retired), and I have pretty much seen it all....
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Jan 19, 12:08 AM
    • 27,387 Posts
    • 58,439 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'm all for the local grapevine if you think your home will be sought after.

Just make sure that any buyer is serious by showing you their readies (evidence of deposit plus mortgage certificate) and it should be straightforward from there. If you can get past the offer stage, you'll then start to wonder what you pay an EA for.

ETA: I speak from my own experience - thankfully there was no chain to contend with.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

298Posts Today

2,431Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Turns out this is all Google served. We've been in touch and it's shutting it down which should cut it on many webs? https://t.co/8OYeMjEu4n

• Follow Martin