Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stevekir
    • By Stevekir 12th Jan 19, 5:11 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Stevekir
    How accurate is a good quality digital quartz watch?
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:11 PM
    How accurate is a good quality digital quartz watch? 12th Jan 19 at 5:11 PM
    I have bought a Rotary Windsor men's wristwatch. I have seen it for up to 200 but I paid 89.

How accurate can I expect it to be please? (Both over a day and long term would be helpful).

Thanks, Steve K
Page 1
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 12th Jan 19, 5:14 PM
    • 9,817 Posts
    • 15,102 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:14 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:14 PM
    Will lose approx 15 seconds per month.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 12th Jan 19, 8:42 PM
    • 5,349 Posts
    • 3,157 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:42 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:42 PM
    This question would seem to be a good candidate for an internet search.

But bear in mind the statistics of moving from the general to the particular. Your specific watch may not match the range of accuracies of that type of watch, or be close to the average values.

You get what you get...
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 12th Jan 19, 9:09 PM
    • 2,231 Posts
    • 3,492 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:09 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:09 PM
    Rotary will quote a figure in the specification which should bracket the worst case, though as JG says, there can be outliers. I've had a Casio digital that was so inaccurate it was useless. Also a Sector quartz-analogue that was near-100% accurate and didn't need adjustment from one DST change to the next. It's a crap-shoot..
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 12th Jan 19, 11:19 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:19 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 11:19 PM
    I have 15 year old Sekonda that gains about 20 seconds per year. My Hugo Boss (Thrice the price) loses about 15 seconds a month. My Seiko gains around 5 seconds a month.
    It all depends on how accurately the quartz is tuned. You can buy cheap ones that are more accurate than expensive ones.

In general use though they are more than accurate enough.You shouldn't be noticing anything on a daily basis.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • arciere
    • By arciere 14th Jan 19, 9:46 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    arciere
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:46 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 9:46 AM
    My Citizen gains approx 10 seconds per month, still more accurate than a mechanical watch though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

2,763Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This probably (who knows) makes it both more likely we'll remain in the EU via a 2nd referendum and more likely we'? https://t.co/GrNV48E1jS

• Instant aftermath poll: After a defeat by over 230 votes on a flagship issue (Brexit) should Theresa May resign?

• Wow losing by over 200. That's not defeat it's obliteration. Has there ever been a time before when a PM could lo? https://t.co/i0sVwL9P9P

• Follow Martin